IA Eklundh leaves Caparison guitars.

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last couple Mad Hatter solderless kits I got, I had him replace the push-pulls for push-push for coil-splits. I whack those fuckin’ things pretty hard and haven’t had an issues in the 2 years they’ve been installed.

If I were to design a guitar from ground up, I’d most likely use a push-push ala Lynch to switch pickups. Most of my switching is done during a solo in microseconds, it’d be a lot easier to just whack a knob and be done with it.
You'd think, but I had one in my SLAT3-7 and I went to a toggle because I has having issues with getting the right pressure to engage it without turning the volume down. Plus, I actually use the middle on 2H guitars. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I love the idea of the true temper frets, but I've become super anal about getting my finger perfectly placed above the fret. Do the TT frets require learning how to adjust to their uneven shape? I can't imagine how it wouldn't.

Masoo2

Reaction score
surprised no one has posted this yet:

dude can obviously play, but I'm not at all a fan of his musical output with Freak Kitchen

I did always love the look of the Apple Horn series, always found the design truly unique/"him" whilst still remaining tasteful unlike some other signatures - this new guitar shape is just fugly though...

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
You'd think, but I had one in my SLAT3-7 and I went to a toggle because I has having issues with getting the right pressure to engage it without turning the volume down. Plus, I actually use the middle on 2H guitars. :shrug:

Ah, mine are on my tone knobs, if they turn when I hit ‘em it’s s negligible I don’t even notice.

jvms

Reaction score
I love the idea of the true temper frets, but I've become super anal about getting my finger perfectly placed above the fret. Do the TT frets require learning how to adjust to their uneven shape? I can't imagine how it wouldn't.
Not at all, you don't even notice it. It just sounds better but feels the same as regular frets.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own and like the two first freak guitar cds. A lot of funny and interesting stuff there. Freak kitchen on the other hand, I find incredibly bland.
The FGL looks fine, feature wise, but...eh, unsexy? And I wouldn't buy a non multiscale 8 string.

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not at all, you don't even notice it. It just sounds better but feels the same as regular frets.
Only sounds better if you're in standard tuning with standard gauge strings. And your bandmates also have the wiggly frets.

jvms

Reaction score
Only sounds better if you're in standard tuning with standard gauge strings. And your bandmates also have the wiggly frets.
I find it funny how SSO hates on TT frets. I wonder if most people here test them under these conditions. The bass player in Freak Kitchen doesn't have TT frets and they sound great with Mattias' guitars (wich is often not in standard tuning). The keys in Dirty Loops also sound great with the TT bass. MIsha recorded some stuff in the Clear EP in Drop C and it sounded great. What people here claim really goes agains my experience with these frets and with what is explained on their website.

Bit of a shameless plug, but you can check what TT frets sound in my band. It's the only TT instrument being played agains tons of regular ones and countless orchestral virtual instruments. Of course you can't hear many of the advantages of TT frets as I'm only playing power chords (they really shine on full chords in my experience), but there is zero clashing with the rest of the instruments.

jco5055

Reaction score
I owned a TT boden 7 for a sec, only to try the TT frets, and imo it’s not a big enough difference to be exclusively play TT frets…I won’t turn them down but I’m fine without them

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find it funny how SSO hates on TT frets. I wonder if most people here test them under these conditions. The bass player in Freak Kitchen doesn't have TT frets and they sound great with Mattias' guitars (wich is often not in standard tuning). The keys in Dirty Loops also sound great with the TT bass. MIsha recorded some stuff in the Clear EP in Drop C and it sounded great. What people here claim really goes agains my experience with these frets and with what is explained on their website.

Bit of a shameless plug, but you can check what TT frets sound in my band. It's the only TT instrument being played agains tons of regular ones and countless orchestral virtual instruments. Of course you can't hear many of the advantages of TT frets as I'm only playing power chords (they really shine on full chords in my experience), but there is zero clashing with the rest of the instruments.

Look where those frets are most different from normal frets: It's the 3rd string. Now let me tell you that I use a wound 3rd string, so all that compensation for a plain 3rd string makes intonation worse for me. Now I hope you know why I hate them.
And yes, with a few power chords, you don't hear a difference, so why is it important for you to have it if it makes the instrument less versatile in terms of tuning and string gauges, as well as more expensive?

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think Eklundh and Strandberg would have been interesting to see if their trem can take all the abuse. Other Strandberg users I have seen so far are very gentle with it.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I’ll fully admit that I had a boden guitar with the TT frets but DID NOT know I needed a tuner that had the correct offsets for tuning it and I was just using a regular tuner. The whole time I thought that certain chords sounded better than a normal fret guitar while others sounded worse. But clearly I wasn’t doing it right. I wonder how many other folks make the same mistake. It makes me want to give the TT frets another try and fair shake.

Dayn

Reaction score
I think Eklundh and Strandberg would have been interesting to see if their trem can take all the abuse. Other Strandberg users I have seen so far are very gentle with it.
When I saw comments on people wondering if it would be something with Strandberg, I thought to myself this is exactly why it won't be Strandberg. It's a good enough trem, but no way can it do what he would want it to.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll fully admit that I had a boden guitar with the TT frets but DID NOT know I needed a tuner that had the correct offsets for tuning it and I was just using a regular tuner. The whole time I thought that certain chords sounded better than a normal fret guitar while others sounded worse. But clearly I wasn’t doing it right. I wonder how many other folks make the same mistake. It makes me want to give the TT frets another try and fair shake.

There used to be a guide on TT's site explaining how to use a normal tuner, not sure if it's still there.

When I saw comments on people wondering if it would be something with Strandberg, I thought to myself this is exactly why it won't be Strandberg. It's a good enough trem, but no way can it do what he would want it to.

The current Strandberg trem is just a Floyd dressed up, knife edges and all. The build feels cheap, but I don't see why they couldn't make them better if they had to.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's an ass for every seat
Freak Kitchen ? They’re great . Great vocals , great songwriting , catchy melodies ans some great guitar playing with the rest of the band being just as solid . I really like them , mind you , the album Move is the one I’ve listened to on repeat the most .

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Freak Kitchen ? They’re great . Great vocals , great songwriting , catchy melodies ans some great guitar playing with the rest of the band being just as solid . I really like them , mind you , the album Move is the one I’ve listened to on repeat the most .

I was just alluding to the "music is subjective" thing. As in a roomful of really talented humans aren't going to automatically mean musical magic for everyone. Fwiw, freak kitchen isn't really my jam, but the musicians kick ass for sure.

Latest posts