Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
I've killed myself debating over which 7-string to get, it stood between:

* RGD2127Z - Tried it, didn't like it
* 827QMZRDT - Looks fine as hell but had some tacky reviews

and now.. Ibanez S5427.. I'm totally getting it.. and I will post my first NGD and I can die happy..

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've killed myself debating over which 7-string to get, it stood between:

* RGD2127Z - Tried it, didn't like it
* 827QMZRDT - Looks fine as hell but had some tacky reviews

and now.. Ibanez S5427.. I'm totally getting it.. and I will post my first NGD and I can die happy..

You're making the right choice. As nice as the RGD2127Z is, the S5427 Prestige IMO is a better sounding and playing guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait, so is the new 7421 just a 7321 in disguise, or am I missing something?

The 13' RG7421 is just an RG7321 without binding (in a different color as well) and for $50 cheaper.

Honestly, I don't think folks care enough about the binding to keep both models in circulation. I would have just discontinued the RG7321.

But hey, the more options the merrier right? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Which is honestly a shame. They should have stuck it in the premium range and at least kept some of the honor behind the older MIJ models. Now it's just a rebadged 7321 with probably the same build quality.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is honestly a shame. They should have stuck it in the premium range and at least kept some of the honor behind the older MIJ models. Now it's just a rebadged 7321 with probably the same build quality.

Not sure if I'd call that a "shame", Ibanez has reused names a LOT in the past, remember the S7420s? JEM7? RG470? The list goes on.

It's just a cheaper RG7321 without the binding and with the older style bridge.

If they had just called it the RG7321, removed the binding, and went back to the original bridges would it not have been a shame?

The only folks who are going to confuse these with the old MIJ ones are the same folks who can't tell a MIM Strat from an MIA Strat. :shrug:

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Not sure if I'd call that a "shame", Ibanez has reused names a LOT in the past, remember the S7420s? JEM7? RG470? The list goes on.

It's just a cheaper RG7321 without the binding and with the older style bridge.

If they had just called it the RG7321, removed the binding, and went back to the original bridges would it not have been a shame?

The only folks who are going to confuse these with the old MIJ ones are the same folks who can't tell a MIM Strat from an MIA Strat. :shrug:

I wouldn't use the Jem in this context. You would be comparing a high quality instrument to another high quality instrument. We are talking about a 7321 and 7421 here lol. But yeah, I guess you are right. I have certainly come across my fair share of MIJ 74xx and 76xx that were just utter shit.

I guess my main point is that I consider it a shame specifically because they didn't include the 7421's in the premium range, but instead just plopped them in the 7321 category. I think it may have been a smarter business move if they just upped the price by a couple hundred, upped the build quality and slapped the premium name on it. They instead just made a cheaper 7321? Doesn't Ibanez already have enough cheapo 6's, 7's, and now 8's?

In all honesty, I just want to see more hardtail 7's and 8's in the premium range. The premium range I feel is like the poor mans holy grail lol. The guitars are of above average build quality, and the price points are generally affordable. I say generally because those first premium RG7s were about a hundred dollars less than some of the Prestiges lol.

Also extended scale RG7's that don't have gibraltars. COME ON IBANEZ. I mean seriously, they have the RG8's now, even hollowbody 7's, and the RG7's with the tight-end R's, but they won't put out even a single 27" scale 7?

Rants aside, I still give props to Ibanez this year because in all honesty they released a shitton of guitars you guys have been bitching about for years now, that I never thought they would. :lol: a'la Tight-End R. When people first saw the tight-ends they craved a 7 version.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Well the conversation was really between me and Max so I wasn't exactly typing things out for people other than those who already had an understanding of what we were discussing in the first place.

I'll be sure to have my replies cover Ibanez guitars or every single Jem model ever produced on a global context, lest someone beseech thee to explain the entire conversation repeatedly. :rolleyes:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The JEM7 moniker has been attached to various models from $1800 basic JEMs to $7777.77 ones. I wouldn't classify those as the same. ;)

Ibanez already has a Premium fixed bridge 7-string, and recently released two fixed bridge, non-entry level 7s in the new Iron Label range.

tedtan

Reaction score
Well the conversation was really between me and Max so I wasn't exactly typing things out for people other than those who already had an understanding of what we were discussing in the first place.

I'll be sure to have my replies cover Ibanez guitars or every single Jem model ever produced on a global context, lest someone beseech thee to explain the entire conversation repeatedly. :rolleyes:

Oh I understood the conversation fully, L1ght. My comment wasn't even taking part in it - it was just joking around. That's what the smiley was for (I can't believe I have to explain that).

Lighten up and learn to take a joke man - your life will be a lot easier and a lot more pleasant. If you remain this uptight you'll end up having a heart attack or stroke at a young age, and you don't want that.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
DAMMIT MAX.

Yeah but you would still consider the "lower-end" JEM7 to be of very high quality even if it wasn't the 7 grand model wouldn't you? :lol:

Wouldn't you take in to consideration the general hit or miss quality when it comes to the lowest-end Ibbys? I don't have as much experience as you obviously, but would you say there would be a pretty big difference in quality control and overall build quality between the expensive JEM7 and the SUPER expensive JEM7? I would assume there really wouldn't be since even the cheapest JEM7 is still big bucks, and when consumers pay that kind of money for a guitar they expect it to be flawless or as close to it as possible. I always had the notion that beyond a certain price, the build quality of production guitars hit a cap and then anything past it that makes the guitars price rise exponentially would be the wood choices and specific hardware used.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong(which you would regardless :lol:), I'm just speaking from what I have personally seen or experienced.

Also, I know they produced more fixed 7's, but they still all have those gibraltars which I find to be the bane of Ibanez lineups, aside from the 927QMF and the RG8, which like I said in my previous post, I find to be quite a giant step in the right direction.

In my dreams, I see a simple RG927F in black, rosewood/maple fretboard with offset dots, Tight-End R or regular, 27" scale. :agreed:

A guy can dream though right?

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
lol guys I wasn't even serious... didn't you notice the 15th century vocabulary there? :lol:

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I don't have as much experience as you obviously, but would you say there would be a pretty big difference in quality control and overall build quality between the expensive JEM7 and the SUPER expensive JEM7? I would assume there really wouldn't be since even the cheapest JEM7 is still big bucks, and when consumers pay that kind of money for a guitar they expect it to be flawless or as close to it as possible. I always had the notion that beyond a certain price, the build quality of production guitars hit a cap and then anything past it that makes the guitars price rise exponentially would be the wood choices and specific hardware used.

From what I understand, the reason for the huge price difference is that one is a mass-produced Fujigen Gakki guitar and the other is a limited-edition 3rd party "Nick Sugimoto of Sugi Guitars"-masterbuilt reliced guitar. (Er, I guess that Fujigen is technically a 3rd party as well, but work with me.) I've never played a Sugi-built Ibanez, so I cannot say whether or not you are correct in your assumption.

In my dreams, I see a simple RG927F in black, rosewood/maple fretboard with offset dots, Tight-End R or regular, 27" scale. :agreed:

A guy can dream though right?

Ah, the ever elusive RG9277MFX-BK (if I got my Ibanez nomenclature correct! :lol::lol::lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.