Ibanez 2015 - New Models & NAMM Thread

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Good to hear that not all IL's are like the several that are at one of my local GC's. The worst fret ends I've ever seen on Ibbies. Sharp and sticking way out. Felt awful. Fretwork on the $300 Schecters was so much better than the Ibbies that cost twice as much.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
The Iron Label series can be hit or miss for sure, I've tried better and worse.

The one that actually floored me was the blue neck-thru Iron Label RGT7. Maybe I just got lucky with the one I tried, but as an owner of two Prestige RGTs, I honestly didn't feel much of a quality difference. The fretwork was on point (which is where they can fall short), the setup great out of the box. Really a pleasant surprise.

The Iron Label ARZ 8-string I'm trying right now is pretty decent, too. Plays easily, frets are solid, nothing to complain.

My M80M came with a lotta more issues than those two.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I kind of want that RG7421 in the walnut finish, with the mahogany body instead of basswood. I just love how it looks and that it has a neat looking matching headstock! I want a second 7 string that I can mod with some new pickups.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Iron Label series can be hit or miss for sure, I've tried better and worse.

The one that actually floored me was the blue neck-thru Iron Label RGT7. Maybe I just got lucky with the one I tried, but as an owner of two Prestige RGTs, I honestly didn't feel much of a quality difference. The fretwork was on point (which is where they can fall short), the setup great out of the box. Really a pleasant surprise.

The Iron Label ARZ 8-string I'm trying right now is pretty decent, too. Plays easily, frets are solid, nothing to complain.

My M80M came with a lotta more issues than those two.

Was that IR RGT7 the NAMM one? I remember the IR stuff last NAMM getting tons of good reviews, but the actual production stuff wasn't, and still isn't from what I seen, great.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Was that IR RGT7 the NAMM one? I remember the IR stuff last NAMM getting tons of good reviews, but the actual production stuff wasn't, and still isn't from what I seen, great.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but all of the Indonesian models are just dandy with a proper setup. The only exception has been the M80M models which are utter pieces of crap with too many inherent flaws that no tech can fix. At least in our experience. Every M80M I've received had to go back to Ibanez. But all the RGITs, RGIRs, SIX, SIRs, Xiphos, etc have been sweet. Just need a little TLC with the setups.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a broken record, but all of the Indonesian models are just dandy with a proper setup. The only exception has been the M80M models which are utter pieces of crap with too many inherent flaws that no tech can fix. At least in our experience. Every M80M I've received had to go back to Ibanez. But all the RGITs, RGIRs, SIX, SIRs, Xiphos, etc have been sweet. Just need a little TLC with the setups.

Sorry Nick, I can only go with what I've had in my hands.

We all know I love Ibanez, even the MII and MIC stuff. I've gotten my hands on over two dozen Iron Label models at this point, from the lower spec 6-string RGs up to 7 and 8 string RGs and Sabers. I cannot, on good faith recommend them to someone in the market for a guitar in the price range. I'd honestly recommend a Schecter or LTD over them, and considering how much crap I've flung at those brands, that says something.

I know my way around setups, and the effort I'd have to put in on what I've seen just isn't worth it to the average, doesn't really mess with stuff player.

I want the Iron Labels to be great. I really wish they were. They're not yet. They'll get better eventually and I know I'll find a really good one someday soon.

I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not an Ibanez rep or dealer, merely a fan.

:2c:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sorry Nick, I can only go with what I've had in my hands.

We all know I love Ibanez, even the MII and MIC stuff. I've gotten my hands on over two dozen Iron Label models at this point, from the lower spec 6-string RGs up to 7 and 8 string RGs and Sabers. I cannot, on good faith recommend them to someone in the market for a guitar in the price range. I'd honestly recommend a Schecter or LTD over them, and considering how much crap I've flung at those brands, that says something.

I know my way around setups, and the effort I'd have to put in on what I've seen just isn't worth it to the average, doesn't really mess with stuff player.

I want the Iron Labels to be great. I really wish they were. They're not yet. They'll get better eventually and I know I'll find a really good one someday soon.

I don't have a horse in this race. I'm not an Ibanez rep or dealer, merely a fan.

:2c:

Completely reasonable, of course. The Prestiges are dramatically nicer than the Iron Labels, there is no question about it. I own 5 Ibanez currently, all are MIJ models so I hear ya. And yes, what may be a simple fix for me may not be simple for the average player, fair point. All I can say is I have shipped a lot of Iron Labels and have had zero complaints and zero returns. A good setup and some steel wool go a long way. I wish they were perfect out of the box though certainly, that would save me a lot of time/money. But people shouldn't be scared of them, they're nice IMO.

The Indonesian 8-strings are the ones I've had the most problems with for a variety of reasons. Not only do they have the usual bridge radius not matching the fingerboard radius flaw (often requiring shims), but a lot of them have had really poor frets. In such a case I of course just send those back to Ibanez, which I would hope any Ibanez dealer would too upon inspecting them. The idea of a guitar like that ever reaching a customer's hands baffles my mind.

As far as the Schecters and LTDs, I will agree those are far higher quality out of the box than the Iron Labels. PRS SE as well.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Nah, I had one sent to me from their regular stock just to try it. I didn't keep it because I had no use for it really, but the one I got was on point. I have heard different things from people trying them, so maybe I got lucky.

Lotra

Reaction score
I just had a funny episode yesterday..... As I´m from Europe a lot of my stuff I order it from the known by all Thomann, so yesterday I sent an email to the sales department asking some information about a especific new model from Ibanez ( If they will have it , when available , price tag etc..bla..bla.)
My surprise was the reply, :scream:he just reply me with a link to another webstore:nuts::spock::scratch:
GUITARGUITAR - Edinburgh, Glasgow & Newcastle Guitar Shops, Online Store
Are they ( guitarguitar) trustworthy?? some of you had experience dealing with them ??
Do I have to pay any customhouse fees ?? I know we all europe but with the British we´ll never know:lol::lol:

Skullet

Reaction score
Yes guitarguitar is legit - i have several guitars that came from the glasgow shop and no you do not pay custom fees on this as you are in the EU.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Didn´t know of this Shop but they have a huge Selection of Schecters:hbang:

cip 123

Reaction score
Yea no custom fees, however in my experience guitarguitar aren't the greatest for setting up guitars. Ive played plenty of guitars in the Glasgow shop with sharp frets, high action and wrongly set up trems. It's basically GuitarCenter for the UK. But thats just my opinion

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Pics of the Ibanez RG752WMFX-OL are up on some Japanese sites. As with most Ibbys the tops can very a lot from straight wenge to spiral pattern.

DS02704341_3.jpg

DS02704341_4.jpg

DS02704341_1.jpg

item_IBZRG752WMFXOL_1.jpg

item_IBZRG752WMFXOL_3.jpg

386149_sub_1_l_201502161217.jpg

386149_sub_6_l_201502161217.jpg

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here is one I shipped out yesterday to a customer with BKP Black Hawks installed:

img_5754.jpg

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
^Looks awesome!!!! Whats your opinion this model compared to all the others you've owned? You used to have a Mahogany BOL 7 with the same oil finish.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I sent both 752WM's back. The truss rods were sitting at the back of the channels, one you could only get the wrench on 1/3 the nut, the other would barely go on, but [like the other] somebody had put 2 chips on the edge of the truss rout getting the wrench off the nuts. When they give me a good one I'll be happy to sell it, very nice, otherwise.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^Looks awesome!!!! Whats your opinion this model compared to all the others you've owned? You used to have a Mahogany BOL 7 with the same oil finish.

Each one we've had in has been spectacular so far. It doesn't really feel or sound like the RG7621M-BOL did, because of the birdseye maple fingerboard likely. It reminds me more of the LACS Buz McGrath piece I had a while back which was spec'd out similarly to this. They tend to have some weight to it and feel very solid.

I like it a lot. I think you'll like yours too. Its my favorite of the 2015 7-strings so far, although I really enjoy the S5527Q models also.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Each one we've had in has been spectacular so far. .

You're luckier than I am, if you've got any to spare give me a call and I'll arrange shipping ;)

They're finally adding truss operation to the QC checklist. Which you'd expect to be on the list, but knowing the constraints the checkers are under to move product thru fast [understaffed, overworked] that's one they've left "factory inspected".

I just finished a 652KKB and it was close to the back, but it was fully free and rout edge perfect. And how could you not love this.

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Is that your gold package with the rounded frets or did it come like that?

Each one we've had in has been spectacular so far. It doesn't really feel or sound like the RG7621M-BOL did, because of the birdseye maple fingerboard likely. It reminds me more of the LACS Buz McGrath piece I had a while back which was spec'd out similarly to this. They tend to have some weight to it and feel very solid.

I like it a lot. I think you'll like yours too. Its my favorite of the 2015 7-strings so far, although I really enjoy the S5527Q models also.

Awesome, I can't wait to get it. Hopefully we see some 26.5" options in the future.