Ibanez 2018 models announced(teased) :O

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Compared to other options, absolutely. But I just find it hard to swallow a $2k Prestige model especially the price of the Premium models.

That's fair. Everyone has thier comfort zone.

I think an additional ~$500 over a more "traditional" RG or the same price as a Saber for a bunch of features not seen in the rest of the lineup isn't too bad, especially considering you can get one even cheaper from Rich if you don't mind going the "inspection only" route.

Then again, these are basically one string and locking trem away from my Suhr M7s, so they speak to me more than others for sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Compared to other options, absolutely. But I just find it hard to swallow a $2k Prestige model especially the price of the Premium models.

I think there is a market for $2k prestige AZ models. But these models need to deliver almost Suhr-ish quality and features at a Fender Professional level (which are around $2k). At that price point, it would be a no-brainer to pickup a loaded AZ, vs a Strat Pro.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I've liked my AZ. Even though I am selling it, it is still a pretty cool guitar. I kind of want the Prestige one but I cannot warrant paying that much. I'll just buy a couple of the upcoming Charvel DK24 2PT. I already have the gray one on preorder. Now to order the orange and pink!

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
With the new KM-7 MIK going for $1699, the $2k AZ prestige doesn't seem so crazy...
Yeahhhhhh that is ridiculous. You could legit go order a Drinkwater(formerly Oakland Axe Factory) for that and get something special. He just started doing micrastone tops!

nyxzz

Reaction score
Are Prestige AZ's really not doing well or is there something wrong with production? they still seem impossible to get

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are Prestige AZ's really not doing well or is there something wrong with production? they still seem impossible to get

From what I understand they're selling consistently, but it's not like they're selling so well they're impossible to get, Ibanez was just fairly cautious about production numbers. Ibanez Rules has them in-stock and there's not any other dealer worth ordering from in the US.

What's surprising is how well the MIJ signature AZs and the limited exotic topped models are selling.

I think it's way, way too early to call the AZ a success or failure. We probably won't know until we see what changes, if any, appear next year.

If we get more models, then it would be safe to say it's doing very well. If models get taken away, the opposite is true. If all we get is a color refresh or new pickups, it's in the middle of the road. Ibanez is fairly predictable as far as this stuff is concerned. They also tend to cut poorly selling models fairly quickly, so we should know in a some months what's up.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
From what I understand they're selling consistently, but it's not like they're selling so well they're impossible to get, Ibanez was just fairly cautious about production numbers. Ibanez Rules has them in-stock and there's not any other dealer worth ordering from in the US.

What's surprising is how well the MIJ signature AZs and the limited exotic topped models are selling.

I think it's way, way too early to call the AZ a success or failure. We probably won't know until we see what changes, if any, appear next year.

If we get more models, then it would be safe to say it's doing very well. If models get taken away, the opposite is true. If all we get is a color refresh or new pickups, it's in the middle of the road. Ibanez is fairly predictable as far as this stuff is concerned. They also tend to cut poorly selling models fairly quickly, so we should know in a some months what's up.
Interesting. That brings up a thought. Was the RG an instant hit back in the day or did it take a few years to sink in? I came into that game a few years into it but wasn't really paying attention to their popularity at the time. It was %100 popular with me.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. That brings up a thought. Was the RG an instant hit back in the day or did it take a few years to sink in? I came into that game a few years into it but wasn't really paying attention to their popularity at the time. It was %100 popular with me.

The RG was a hit because it was the affordable version of the JEM.

The 87' RG was the reboot of the Roadstar series. Specs were almost identical, but the more aggressive styling and Vai association really made it a star.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anything offensive about that, at least compared to the RG6PFGMLTD, which has a more obnoxious finish.
fcb75f9f-073b-4279-aa94-6b45e4366f74.jpg

There's one of those collecting dust at the local dealer. It's even worse looking in person.

The store I frequent and I call it the Ninja Turtle finish. :lol: Chuck on a Gruv Gear with either the 4 colors of choice and you're set.

And regarding the burl premiums, I thought I was going to hate them, until Ibanez gave me one with not much burl going on.

38446648_2031846476859492_5814558095765929984_n.jpg

Meanwhile, Japan gets this sweet prestige AZ:

AZ2402MW_NT_00_01.png

See, that burl isn't so bad at all. I actually like that.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Id pay the price for that japan exclusive if the headstock was reversed. Im digging vintage style reverse headstocks lately.

Likely why i have deep buring tom anderson gas

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Would there be any chance of a j-custom AZ in the future?

I seriously doubt it unless these things sell REALLY well.

However, I do know that the local stores are keeping some in stock, which tells me they are selling, even at the price point they are at.

Latest posts