Ibanez 2021 models (Headless!)

• Thread starter bastardbullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
With this new IG style at least there’s much more emphasis on actual playing again.

Well I'd go so far as to say there's emphasis on technique.

When you use the term "playing" it gives the impression that there's a tune in there somewhere instead of a bunch of clicky/chimey sounds that are technically difficult to generate and string together for 70 seconds ;)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'd go so far as to say there's emphasis on technique.

When you use the term "playing" it gives the impression that there's a tune in there somewhere instead of a bunch of clicky/chimey sounds that are technically difficult to generate and string together for 70 seconds ;)

Nah, if there was a tune in there they would call it Dad Rock.

Supernaut

Reaction score
Technique encompasses so many things on guitar - from correct vibrato to sweep picking to this chuka chuka thing. None is more valid than any other, it's all completely subjective.

I think the chuka chuka thing is cool, but this guy literally does it every five seconds. It's like if EVH did the eruption tapping lick every five seconds in a Van Halen song. That's just my own opinion though, if people dig it all the more power to them.

Reaction score
... in the end, there is not technique, there is only expression...

It's like the eggs on the cake, one may not like eggs on themselves, but enjoy the cake... I dig this trend, it enriches the guitar vocabulary and proves that the electric guitar is not a dying instrument and that it's here to stay. Which also means that it is evolving, either in musicianship expression as well as in its form and appearance.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pre-ordered the Q54-BKF

I'm eyeing a headless since a couple of months now, last 6 string I owned is over 15 years ago when I was a kid. Strandberg is out of my budget or more like I just don't want to pay so much money on a guitar coming from indonesia and all the bad QC talk in here.

This seems to be a lot of guitar you are getting for the money + a gigbag. Living in germany we have a 30 day money back guarantee so I'll definitely check this one out and see if I like it.

I went for the Q54 and not the Ichi10 signature since I want that extra humbucker on the bridge for potential humbucker swap in the future. I do like the pickguard and do not want to mess with the slented frets. I usually don't like satin black finishes cause they seem to get shiny after a while where your hand sits but I prefer the black over the green matte. From my playing style I don't even think that it will get shiny tbh.

I'm definitely hyped for this guitar, delivery date is as soon as first half of september. We will see if that date holds. Definitely posting a NGD once I have it.

I usually think that beeing a fan of a company is always a bad idea for obvious reasons but beeing an ibanez fanboy I had to pre-order this one :D

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Before djent it was all about sweep picking. That lasted about 6-8 years before djent was the cool thing. I can’t say I miss the constant “how do sweep pick” messages but it was replaced with “how do you get that tone/snare” when djent took over. With this new IG style at least there’s much more emphasis on actual playing again but it still relies on the DAW knowledge to surgically edit everything to the grid that Djent brought in.
The Djent Grid - where all the SumerianCore bands unite under one chugga chugga and squeadley meadley

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... in the end, there is not technique, there is only expression...

It's like the eggs on the cake, one may not like eggs on themselves, but enjoy the cake... I dig this trend, it enriches the guitar vocabulary and proves that the electric guitar is not a dying instrument and that it's here to stay. Which also means that it is evolving, either in musicianship expression as well as in its form and appearance.

QFT. Anything not evolving is going extinct.
(no idea about the eggs thing)

Personally, I play strapped/classical so the slanted frets are probably not for me, but it seems worth checking out for all you right thigh folk.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
For all those complaining about the Xiphos 7 only being 25.5" - it's a fuck-up on the Ibanez site, they are at least 26.5" if not 27" (I'm pretty sure they are 27" because they feel longer than my 26.5" guitars). I just got back from playing one at my local. Ibanez have knocked these out of the park.

Perge

Reaction score
For all those complaining about the Xiphos 7 only being 25.5" - it's a fuck-up on the Ibanez site, they are at least 26.5" if not 27" (I'm pretty sure they are 27" because they feel longer than my 26.5" guitars). I just got back from playing one at my local. Ibanez have knocked these out of the park.
Man, can someone do one of those shite Photoshop jobs comparing the scale length between the 2 xiphos models? Not that I don't believe you, but I know x shaped guitars can feel different with the way they force you into classical position. But if Ibanez just dropped the ball on getting scale length info out, the 7 string xiphos just moved up the list quite a bit.

nightlight

Reaction score
Just saying, I'll take ten years of chuka chuka, tap, smack, whatever the fuck over the last ten years we've had of "modern metal". The era of no balls tone, gnat's ass tight, and duck farts has been every bit as boring as people are proclaiming this style to be.

But they're both boring. I could listen to that song he played... once.

It's like metal went pop music. Just watch on Instagram once, like, and then move on to the next plastic idol.

It's a good thing bands like Metallica and Slipknot are still around, otherwise the disclaimers that "metal is dead" would have come true by now.

I mean, can you even call that metal? I wouldn't.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

It's like metal went pop music. Just watch on Instagram once, like, and then move on to the next plastic idol.

It's a good thing bands like Metallica and Slipknot are still around, otherwise the disclaimers that "metal is dead" would have come true by now.

Music evolves. Sometimes good; sometimes bad. If you don't like it listen to something else. There is no shortage of music.

I actually quite like what Ichika, Polyphia, Manuel Gardner Fernandes, etc are doing. And I even like the obviously sped up but supposedly not Charlie Robbins stuff. It is what it is. I'm not listening to it at the gym, or in the car, or singing along with my kids. But it has its place and there is value.

I guess I just don't understand the vitriol from supposed guitarists directed at other actual guitarists. I can't stand Jared Dines but the dude can play. Fluff and Arnold arent the best guitarists but they can hold down a rhythm section for sure. My dislike for any of them would only be for their YouTube content (shameless shilling, no transparency, etc), but not for their playing.

This is no different than how people used to crap on Satriani for only being able to play boring instrumentals. Because if he was good he would be in a real band and have vocals?

YMMV

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

But.. he's not playing anything remotely considered "metal", so of course when your reference point is Thrash/Nu Metal it's going to sound drastically different. It's not to my taste either, so I wouldn't listen to Manuel all day, but it's far from boring and the dude is immensely talented.

How much effort do you put into band discovery, I'm going to assume very little like I generally do with anyone who seems to think an entire genre of music is "dead".