Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 106 31.5%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 54 16.0%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 96 28.5%

• Total voters

Stiman

Reaction score
Do you guys think they will release a 7 string version of the RGT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you guys think they will release a 7 string version of the RGT?
No, probly not. They have the GIO line that seems to somehow amazingly still sell 7 strings.. its basically the same quality and price range

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
Can someone help clarify for me wether or not theyre gonna keep the rg550 and 565 guitars in production for this year?

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Can someone help clarify for me wether or not theyre gonna keep the rg550 and 565 guitars in production for this year?

Not sure about the RG565 but they have had at least one variant of the RG550 in production each year for decades - RG655, RG2550Z, RG2550E. It would surprise me if they stopped.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

RG550, yes. RG565, no.

There RG565 is leaving the regular catalog again, which means dealers can likely order special runs, like Sweetwater did recently, but it's not going to have open international availability.

The tentative plan with the Genesis line is to keep the RG550s around and rotate a second and possibly third model each year or so.

The biggest limiting factors are production capacity relative to margin. They don't make a ton off the Genesis models and that space is taking away from the higher margin lines. The economics work out with stuff like the RG550, that's ALWAYS been a seller.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I was surprised that they did not introduce a new sparkle color on the RG421. I kind of thought they would keep those going.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
So is this a staggered info dump situation? Are there new axion/iron label/prestige’s/signature models to be announced later on?

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I meant the older RGT models that are like $500 range. Not the new premium line stuff. My bad.

So you're saying new Gios are comparable to the RGT6EXFX and RGT42DX? Or were there other non-prestige/MIJ RGTs that you were referring to? If that's the case I need to scoop one up :lol:. I remember both of those models being pretty killer for the price.

Wucan

Reaction score
The $350-400 Squiers I bought recently honestly have arguably better fit/finish than the Premiums I've come across. It doesn't take much money to churn out good guitars but I think people get baited too hard by spec-shopping with the Indo Ibbys. Just because they're slapping more expensive hardware doesn't mean their QC is catching sharp frets or loose wires, or that they hold distributors to any sort of standard (who could be letting guitars rot in warehouses before they make it to customers).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So is this a staggered info dump situation? Are there new axion/iron label/prestige’s/signature models to be announced later on?

There's more coming, remember NAMM isn't for months and there's some stuff that's only going to be announced then.

And that's just the stuff I know about. So there's probably even more.

Per usual, some will leak sooner and stuff will vary a but by region.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The $350-400 Squiers I bought recently honestly have arguably better fit/finish than the Premiums I've come across. It doesn't take much money to churn out good guitars but I think people get baited too hard by spec-shopping with the Indo Ibbys. Just because they're slapping more expensive hardware doesn't mean their QC is catching sharp frets or loose wires, or that they hold distributors to any sort of standard (who could be letting guitars rot in warehouses before they make it to customers).

That's the thing, specs sell better than quality.

Ibanez found that out the hard way when they put a ton of money into the QC of the original Premium runs just for folks to complain about specs. The more they padded the spec sheets, regardless of quality, the better stuff sells.

Wucan

Reaction score
That's the thing, specs sell better than quality.

Ibanez found that out the hard way when they put a ton of money into the QC of the original Premium runs just for folks to complain about specs. The more they padded the spec sheets, regardless of quality, the better stuff sells.

And a healthy dose of marketing I suppose, offering specs that are "in" and aligned with what popular rock/metal artists are using.

You want nice hardware on your imports, well, look at how far $680 goes with Yamaha: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PAC612VIIFMIB--yamaha-pac612viifm-pacifica-indigo-blue

Meanwhile, the most austere Premium available right now is $1300, and in terms of "spec-hoarding" all you're really getting extra are the SS frets: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AZ42P1BK--ibanez-premium-az42p1-electric-guitar-black

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And a healthy dose of marketing I suppose, offering specs that are "in" and aligned with what popular rock/metal artists are using.

You want nice hardware on your imports, well, look at how far $680 goes with Yamaha: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PAC612VIIFMIB--yamaha-pac612viifm-pacifica-indigo-blue

Meanwhile, the most austere Premium available right now is $1300, and in terms of "spec-hoarding" all you're really getting extra are the SS frets: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AZ42P1BK--ibanez-premium-az42p1-electric-guitar-black

I don't know, the Yamaha is nothing special hardware wise. It's got real SDs, but a Sung-Il Wilkinson and some cheapo Grovers.

The Ibanez has SDs, and all Gotoh made hardware and GraphTech nut. Plus little things like the glowing side dots and decent gig bag.

Wucan

Reaction score
I don't know, the Yamaha is nothing special hardware wise. It's got real SDs, but a Sung-Il Wilkinson and some cheapo Grovers.

The Ibanez has SDs, and all Gotoh made hardware and GraphTech nut. Plus little things like the glowing side dots and decent gig bag.
Right, for some reason I thought the Yamaha also had the Gotoh bridge. I think it's Charvel that rolled them out.

nickgray

Reaction score
Meanwhile, the most austere Premium available right now is $1300, and in terms of "spec-hoarding" all you're really getting extra are the SS frets

Really not that far from upper end Schecters and LTDs. Expensive af, I agree, but then seems like everything is these days.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
There's more coming, remember NAMM isn't for months and there's some stuff that's only going to be announced then.

And that's just the stuff I know about. So there's probably even more.

Per usual, some will leak sooner and stuff will vary a but by region.

I guess I had thought it was just cancelled fully and companies would just be announcing products despite having no big event.
I’m probably safe waiting awhile then, I was kind of worried I’d miss out on the RGDR4327, but it’s still on their site, hopefully that’s a good sign.