Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
An unpainted back has generally been considered a premium feature by some, as painting the back is a way of hiding a multi-piece body and/or non-aesthetically pleasing wood. Obviously this concern is limited to very low-end guitars and no-one has such concerns about an MIJ Ibby, whether the back is painted or not, but that doesn't stop this spec "feeling" more premium to some people.
Personally, I don't think it looks cheap, and I even think it looks good on some models. My favourtie Ibby finishes have a figured top with the mahogany back & sides blended in using the same transparent finish all over, rather than a coloured finish on top and a colourless / natural finish on the back & sides. I much prefer my 'Sodalite' RG8520 with matching back over the current 'Emerald Green' finish that has a natural mahogany coloured back, but I don't think the 'Emerald Green' version looks cheaper...just less to my taste.

A lot of people used to complain about the stock Ibanez pickups, so this will have been a response to feedback / demand. I suspect that the increase in production cost for using DiMarzios over Ibanez stock pickups is less than what we can sell an almost new set of DiMarzio for on the used market (to offset the cost of the replacement pickups), so I'm not convinced that we're taking a financial hit.
Although a new Prestige has always been good value for money compared to it's competition, quite a few people complained that Ibanez should be able to provide brand name pickups at that price point. Plenty of people opted for cheaper Premium / Iron Label models with "better" stock pickups, or went for abother manufacturer's equivalents to Premium / Iron Label, wthout understanding / valuing the benefits of Prestige.
What I'm not a fan of is Ibanez putting Fluence Moderns in so many models. I want passive pickups in my guitars, so stock actives would be a significant inconvenience to me when I swap out the pickups (with Fluence Moderns, it would be "when" not "if"). Obviously some people want active pickups, but I find it hard to believe the demand for them is as high as Ibanez's use of them would suggest...maybe it is though!
They seem to put actives in the MIJ models that I like the finishes on and poassives in the ones I don't. When I wanted to buy a fixed-bridge Prestige RG back in 2020, I liked the "Dark Tide Blue" finish on the RG5121 that has Fluence Moderns and disliked the "Weathered Black" RG652FX. I was torn between the higher cost + hassle of cahnging out all the electronics vs. settling for a finish that I dislike (and now has a reputation for the paint wearing through within 2-3 years). Fortunately, I found a dealer that still had one of the discontinued 'Galaxy Black' RG652FXs in stock (with Tone Zone + Air Norton that have a higher resale price than Fusion Edge, as a further bonus).

I'm unsure whether you mean maple fretboards in general are ugly, that they don't fit the overall aesthetic of some recent Ibanez models, or that something about Ibanez's recent maple fretboards has been ugly compared to an average maple fretboard.
Whichever you mean, I'm really not a fan of maple fretboards, so I agree. There have been a few models that were a rosewood / ebony fretboard away from satisfying my preferences (every Ibanez is one spec away though right 😜 ).

I think I agree with the points you have made. Some guitars look fine with the unpainted back. The RG652AHM pulls it off pretty well - the green blue front with the maple fretboard and the unpainted ash body evokes a beach aesthetic. I can't say it works well for the RG5320 Cosmic Shadow though...!

I definitely remember people being annoyed with V7/V8 pickups, but I think this is a case of the grass being greener on the other side. I guess this is what the market wants (not necessarily a certain brand, but something that IS branded) and only the Genesis line is left for people who want a bare basic MIJ model...but I'll never buy one because of the maple board and colors that I don't like.

RE maple fretboards...I just don't like maple fretboards. I gave them a shot with an RG652AHM but it messed with my eyes too much when looking at the fretboard when playing. With that said, there are some models where the maple fretboard looks weird with the body finish. There was a bright orange one a year or two ago that had a maple fretboard. The RG652 colors except for the blue green one look weird with the maple fretboard.

IIRC people complained a LOT about the dark and boring finishes and the stock pickups that we got between 2000-2015, but I think they have overcorrected now. I keep buying Prestiges from that era because Ibanez hasn't put anything out recently that I want to spend $2k on. I have now acquired all of the Prestiges (and the '00 JEM7VWH) that I can realistically acquire and I am being pushed further and further towards Ernie Ball Petrucci models...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
only the Genesis line is left for people who want a bare basic MIJ model...but I'll never buy one because of the maple board and colors that I don't like.
Agreed, but you can also add the tilt-joint to the list of reasons for me.

RE maple fretboards...I just don't like maple fretboards.
Also agreed.

IIRC people complained a LOT about the dark and boring finishes and the stock pickups that we got between 2000-2015, but I think they have overcorrected now. I keep buying Prestiges from that era because Ibanez hasn't put anything out recently that I want to spend $2k on.
People used to joke about Ibanez having so many different shades of black, but there was always a decent amount of variation imo (various metallic, solid colour & flamed maple options etc.).

I have now acquired all of the Prestiges (and the '00 JEM7VWH) that I can realistically acquire and I am being pushed further and further towards Ernie Ball Petrucci models...
The Ernie Balls look to be very good guitars (I've never played one), but I much prefer the aesthetic of an RG/RGA/RGD/S...even if we limit it to currently available finishes.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
+1 to Neon. I agree that there is a void in the current catalogue for something in the vein of a 1570. A simple workhorse with a solid trem, the 652 models tried to fill that gap but they had become fancier or gaudy depending on who you ask

Regarding the rest of the "issues" with the current line-up; I've said it many times before but we have to keep in mind that we are niche in the market. We want a solid workhorse to mod as we please, but there are tons of guys who just go and buy the fanciest looking thing with the best pickups they can find, and question why to pay 1400 for a plain looking Ibby when for the same price they can get a Chester Omega 666 Bloodmountain Hellraiser Nunfucker Ultra Blood Diamond series next to it, which albeit being constructed with wet Swamp Ash (my literal experience with Schecter, two times) comes with fancy electronics and a few more bell and whistles.

The only thing that really bothers me are the lack of flamed maple in the Prestige Lineup and the Fishman Pickups and the mark-up they involve, would prefer something more neutral like the TZ/AN used for quite some time

I enjoy the natural back, with the exception of it being done on darker models. The RG5320 would be perfect with a trans black or gloss black back
The lack of Prestige models with flamed maple tops has coincided with J. Customs being far more readily available (and proportionately less of a jump in price compared a Prestige for the less limited models, than it used to be to import one / buy a more limited model).

I would definitely pick TZ/AN over Fishmans, even if the guitar was the same price (would be cheaper), but we'll probably have to accept Fishmans until more people get bored of them and realise they're not actually the best pickups in the world.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Really hoping we get some cool new Prestige models soon for 2024. Ibanez is providing an incredible product in their budget lines, but it is sad to see everything trending in that direction, especially the Sigs with almost everything getting downgraded. It makes sense economically, and import guitars are better than ever (especially Ibanez imports), but the Japanese Prestige models are still the benchmark for me and I really want a cool new RGD that doesn't have a term. I picked up one of the RGD-R 7 strings with the mono rail bridge and it is such a sick guitar, lightweight, great tone, killer neck. I am going to throw some new pickups in but the Dimarzios are not bad. Really great product.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
When will they give us an MIJ Q series?

I've become more and more interested in headless guitars and have ditched my idea of buying an RG5320C white and buying a Kiesel Vader instead...

Dayn

Reaction score
There's this RGDR4527ET. Prestige.

p_region_RGDR4527ET_NTF_00_01.png

I'll laugh my fucking ass off if it's an April Fool's Day joke. But a matching richlite top and fretboard looks sick.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score

View attachment 141395

I'll laugh my fucking ass off if it's an April Fool's Day joke. But a matching richlite top and fretboard looks sick.

ive got one of these with the mono rail bridge/dimarzios and its awesome. if you dont care about the evertune you can get them for like 20% off right now if you hit up a sales rep. killer guitar, i want some similar but different colors/specs.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

View attachment 141395

Oh snap! It's not on the usa site or Sweetwater site. I wonder if they're going to price it the same as the black RGDR with the Lo-Pro.

Reaction score

View attachment 141395

Can I say the "it's one spec away from being perfect" SSO slogan?

I'l leave a few:
1 - with chrome hardware it would be way better, matching the pickups and frets...
2 - that guitar needed a LoPro Edge, not an Evertune
3 - Those goddamn Fishman pickups...
4 - No Ebony board
5 - Ah man, only 26.5" scale length? less than 27 is shit...
6 - Off set dots? how about blank fretboards?
7 - Too much bevels...

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Can I say the "it's one spec away from being perfect" SSO slogan?

I'l leave a few:
1 - with chrome hardware it would be way better, matching the pickups and frets...
2 - that guitar needed a LoPro Edge, not an Evertune
3 - Those goddamn Fishman pickups...
4 - No Ebony board
5 - Ah man, only 26.5" scale length? less than 27 is shit...
6 - Off set dots? how about blank fretboards?
7 - Too much bevels...
8. PAINT THE FUCKING BEVELS FOR FUCKS SAKE!

or you guys can listen to my non released djent bedroom project music, get me enough traction to be an Ibanez artist, and then I will call Kimihide Hoshino all day every day until this thing is in production (but with an ebony board)

srsly though, IMO this is one of Ibanez best shapes and like 3/4 of their releases had been dissapointing, they were almost perfect with the RGD2127FX and the RGD2120Z

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

or you guys can listen to my non released djent bedroom project music, get me enough traction to be an Ibanez artist, and then I will call Kimihide Hoshino all day every day until this thing is in production (but with an ebony board)

srsly though, IMO this is one of Ibanez best shapes and like 3/4 of their releases had been dissapointing, they were almost perfect with the RGD2127FX and the RGD2120Z
Agree, I've told you before: that lamb blue is sick.

bmtf

Reaction score
I'm priced out of the rgdr7 prestiges but I don't mind the non painted bevels
Cause I like furniture guitars and the other furniture guitar fans like these so

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score

I'd love an RGD in that shade of blue, but it's missing a Lo-Pro bridge :p