Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Since this seems like the general 'Ibanez talk' thread vs. specifically new models, can anyone weigh in on how the Nitro Wizard compares to other companies neck profiles? My usual go-to is the ESP Thin U, I'm assuming profile wise, it's almost the same although it looks to be 43mm vs 42mm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm secretly hoping they dont have a new RG2027XL in 2024 with an evertune and stainless steel frets because if so I'm going to have to figure out which guitar I need to sell :(

This is pretty much what Jesse Cash plays (I dont know about the stainless steel frets) and if they make a fiesta red RG2027XL with an evertune , Jesse Cash sig, I'd be pretty tempted to get it.

bmajor7th

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh yeah, definitely influenced by Jesse cash and Keaton from invent animate. They both have an rg2027xl put through the Ibanez custom shop to add the evertune and custom finishes.

jskarulis

Reaction score
RichLite or richlite its man made and not endangering trees
It should be readily available by now on every brand guitar. If and when I ever launch my own guitar brand it will be offered on all. and no not some upcharge. stop making us buy leftover fretboard stock. Whose with me?

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Was just thinking about RichLite and BLACK ebony fretboards again. If we would not put peanut butter on a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, then why would we have peanut butter grain smear in our fretboard? It srsly ruins the finish unless it matches. Just go back to the basic solid paint colors we had.
I'm unsure where peanut butter comes into this, but a more accurate car analogy would be asking if you'd be happy having a Lambourghini or Ferrari made out of a resin & paper composite.

What's the aesthetic appeal of something that looks like plain black plastic? A black acrylic fretboard wouldn't look any worse imo.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent, re streaky ebony. Sometimes streaky ebony is cool: it makes each guitar unique, has character, feels nice. Sometimes richlite is cool, too: less movement than wood. I was listening to the Hapas folks talk about the structural benefits of richlite. So...

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
What's the aesthetic appeal of something that looks like plain black plastic? A black acrylic fretboard wouldn't look any worse imo.
ESP has been making fake plastic looking fretboards using real ebony since forever. My Standard Horizon is literally reflective when it's clean.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I'm secretly hoping they dont have a new RG2027XL in 2024 with an evertune and stainless steel frets because if so I'm going to have to figure out which guitar I need to sell :(
Hard same.. oof I'd sell my soul

My 2027XL is easily the best playing Ibanez I've had

jskarulis

Reaction score
ESP has been making fake plastic looking fretboards using real ebony since forever. My Standard Horizon is literally reflective when it's clean.
thats awesome i think I know what you mean I think I remember seeing that somewhere the fretboard literally almost gloss piano.

IMHO all the macassar and 7 different woods on a neck just went overboard it was a contest between manufacturers and the burl tops or figured look cool with figured fretboards. These guitars have so many woods now dont need it.

its really theming and contrast im getting at in terms of a design like one would design a vehicle or an app the parts should fit a theme and not some parts of one theme

so like the neck should go with the body not that the neck is from some guitar totally different theme than the theme of the body. like chrome

that is what makes me cringe plus just knowing the companies are desperately trying to avoid using up precious ebony so they steered us masses into fadding over the burls and stuff and trying to upsell the combinations.

case in point study the design of the

Ibanez S1070PBZ Premium​

then compare to some recent Kiesel

The mass appeal started with Kiesel offering that look a few years ago and then literally a year or two later Ibanez offered that. there are also many many more indie luthier builders now doing stuff with lumber and resins over the top design work

just gimme the alder body, no top just one paint color, and quarter sawn maple neck, with ebony or richlite fretboard, matching headstock. used market for the hard to find

jskarulis

Reaction score
this CT24M had the fretboard and it matched the body it wasnt like a fretboard from some other design just reused (granted these are custom lol)

Attachments

• CTM624.jpg
    CTM624.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

jskarulis

Reaction score
If only it just had that ebony black fretboard or richlite
pu1roin9crcoklolm9zr.jpg

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I love Macassar. I love jet black too but Macassar has beautiful interesting grain with the same feel. If you just wanted black anybody [and most builders] can just dye it. I'm doing a KYRS right now with a beautiful slab of ebony.

I didn't even think of this. What my brain did think of was to ask a local shop about getting the back of an RG5320 Cosmic Shadow painted. I'll have to see if Ibanez comes out with a new Prestige/JC I want first. I am seriously considering buying an RG5320 Cosmic Shadow and having the back painted or stained in a wine red.

If they do a JC in a finish I like -> get that streaky fretboard dyed and forget buying yet another Prestige.

jskarulis

Reaction score
I asked my luthier friend if that is possible also , I forget where I saw I think someone posted a youtube video , on a dark rosewood or similar fretboard you painters tape the frets, slice the tape away with xacto knife or razor so that only the frets are covered in tape, and tape the back of the neck to cover it

then lightly sand the fretboard , use dye cloth and just dye the fretboard , then wipe away, repeat 2 or 3 times and it will look much darker, then just clean up the edges with lighter grit sand paper (the excess just sands away)

get a tack cloth and just cleanup and it will look much darker when dry

jskarulis

Reaction score
i also saw a video you can use a hobby heater blower and literally remove off the poly finishes off of bodies. you take a chisel and just peel it away faster and not dust than sanding all way thru