Ibanez 2024 NAMM

tian

Reaction score
~ooo~ that quest is nice, good stuff

On the one hand I kind of respect that Ibanez is sticking to their guns with the slanted frets but at the same time, a real multiscale is so close...

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
This version of the headless looks pretty cool. I wonder if they will ever release a prestige variant of this model?

tian

Reaction score
*Moses wondering what the hell this is*
View attachment 142905
"Power tap"?
The Power Tap position puts a high pass filter between tap and ground. The high pass filter is simply a resistor and a capacitor.

The high pass filter makes the pickup work as a single coil at frequencies of the filter. That is why you hear almost as much noise as single coil mode. Low frequencies that can't go through the high pass filter, go through the second coil like a humbucker. The Ibanez description of the highs of a single coil, with lows of a humbucker is correct.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I like the shitty sound of actual split coils, but I also heavily lean into it being waaaaay easier to take freqs out of your tone with EQ than put them back in using any methods should you want em back. Pretty cool idea.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I don't fully comprehend it myself, but I would have greatly prefered a push-pull knob over an entire extra switch. Maybe that's not feasible with POWER TAP(!!!!), I have no idea. I'd love to give it a shot in any case.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Could be cool, but it seems to me that it'd be something that fell into the "a bunch of extra shit on my guitar I'll use twice when it's new and never touch again" category...

I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually tested it out.

Reaction score
I like it. Not with these pickups, though.

What they don't tell you is that positions mixing both humbuckers (in whatever split or power tap option) are in parallel, even when in position 3 each humbucker is in series (their own coils are in series).

Personally, I think they're over-complicating things at Ibanez and could get similar sounds out of simpler wiring. The power tap thing sounds close to what parallel wiring sounds when compared to full series wiring per humbucker.. but this is only my personal experience.