Ibanez AZES

• Thread starter jl-austin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Dude....why 25 inches? Man. I was actually going to pick one up until I saw that.

They are targeting beginner markets, primarily younger people with smaller hands. I'd imagine with the price of lumber it might also be a cost cutting method (Although retooling for 25" might offset any gains).

Either way that's the feature I'm stoked about the most. PRS scale length ftw.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Dude....why 25 inches? Man. I was actually going to pick one up until I saw that.

That struck me as odd too. My thoughts are:

If this was designed by Tomo as is stated in the talking points, the 25" scale and 10" radius are pretty good at getting new players with smaller hands set up for a bit more success initially perhaps. And again, if this is essentially a high level beginner instrument, having those two specs as an "in-between" spec leaves it open for the player to choose a direction after they've established their base. Now, this is all coming from the perspective as Ibanez set out to make a great, well thought out beginner guitar. I don't doubt that being the case per se, but I think something else may be at play.

When I see 25" scale and 10" radius, I think PRS. Seeing as how the AZ line began as an Ibanez version of Suhr/Anderson type designs, I'm thinking Ibanez is going to unveil a new addition to the AZ line that is aimed more at PRS, and the AZES is either the first version or a testing of the waters.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
To me I was "Oh wow, an affordable AZ!" when that's not even close to what it is. It's closer to a Gio/PRS SE than it is an AZ.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They should have used roasted maple and locking tuners. The Sterling is 499 and has both. Ibanez clearly could have done the same. I like the yellow one but it looks cheap.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honest question...why is it "clear" that a $299 guitar can have the specs of a $499 guitar, and still be $299?
Sorry, I meant to say that Ibanez should have made a couple upgrades and upped the price a bit. Locking tuners plus roasted maple and this would have been so much better. A 499 price tag would have been perfect in line with the Sterling.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I'm puzzled by this release. Obviously the indo factory can't keep up with demand, why release a $300 guitar that won't ship until 2022? Makes no sense to me.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
i weirdly think the most beginner friendly feature is the jack that won't loosen. good idea

...unless it's not string enough and cracks/breaks before it'd have a chance to "loosen". They say "durable material", which is clearly some sort of plastic/resin. I guess time will tell...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New Gio's basically right?

These are not GIO series, just lower standard. Not that it really matters, as it's just nitpicking the series. They're still entry level/beginner orientated stuff.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So has the GRX the last 25 years.
I don't really count that type of neck heel as AANJ. Yes, it's true that it's not a square block with a metal plate, but it still has an "edge" so to speak; the new AZES neck heel is a true AANJ. I'm sure it feels better in your palm than the half-assed type like you see on a GRX.

Having said that, I recently played an RG standard and was incredibly disappointed. Not sure which model, it was black with white binding and had a Floyd, but it was seriously garbage. I was surprised because it looked really nice on the rack. Ironically, the pickups were pretty on point.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't really count that type of neck heel as AANJ. Yes, it's true that it's not a square block with a metal plate, but it still has an "edge" so to speak; the new AZES neck heel is a true AANJ. I'm sure it feels better in your palm than the half-assed type like you see on a GRX.

Having said that, I recently played an RG standard and was incredibly disappointed. Not sure which model, it was black with white binding and had a Floyd, but it was seriously garbage. I was surprised because it looked really nice on the rack. Ironically, the pickups were pretty on point.

I don't think it's that big of a difference:

BD75EF70-4038-4B2F-AB41-C0EDA2123351.jpeg EE6AC9FC-CCD2-4DFE-A00C-FCFBC1825CBD.png