Ibanez confessions

• Thread starter Crungy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me SSO for I have sinned.

I have a bunch of RG's that I enjoy, but I fear the one I've grown to like a lot lately has two marks of the beast:

1. Square heel bolt on neck, flat plate like a Fender (no tilt).
2. 22 fret neck.

It's an EX350 from the 80's. I'm working on writing more guitar solos as I've never really done that and this guitar is just doing it for me. The action isn't the lowest but it plays decently and has been inspiring to get creative on coming up with solos.

Is there any saving my soul? Any other Ibanez fanbois here have confessions?

Guitar added for reasonsScreenshot_20230628_121730_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can top that. Im gonna climb to the top of the "anti-ibanez", Ibanez guitar pile and stay there.

My 1982 Rocket Roll Flying V neck has something to say,

22mm neck thickness at the 1st fret, moving to 24mm at the 12th fret, V shaped neck profile, the radius lies somewhere in the region of 9"-12" (more towards 9), the nut leans towards 43.5mm due to the paint thickness on the neck, its a square heel join with zero access beyond the 15th fret, painted Fire Red, finished in glossy PU clear, it has 22 vintage size frets, its a 24.75 scale instrument.

Could take this thing to a bar fight.

Attachments

• DSC_8422.JPG
    DSC_8422.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_8424.JPG
    DSC_8424.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_8425.JPG
    DSC_8425.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 53

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
My main axe is a 21 fret, square-heel, fixed bridge Charvel USA Jake E. Lee signature. If Ibanez made something similar, I would probably buy it.

2869400876_gtr_dtl_007_nr.png

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can top that. Im gonna climb to the top of the "anti-ibanez", Ibanez guitar pile and stay there.

My 1982 Rocket Roll Flying V neck has something to say,

22mm neck thickness at the 1st fret, moving to 24mm at the 12th fret, V shaped neck profile, the radius lies somewhere in the region of 9"-12" (more towards 9), the nut leans towards 43.5mm due to the paint thickness on the neck, its a square heel join with zero access beyond the 15th fret, painted Fire Red, finished in glossy PU clear, it has 22 vintage size frets, its a 24.75 scale instrument.

Could take this thing to a bar fight.
That's a whole lot of sinnin! I love it!

mastapimp

Reaction score
I guess my confession is I have never gelled with any of the popular RGs or sabres over the years. I was turned off to the brand working as an apprentice at a music repair shop back in high school. Fast forward 25 years and I finally got an Ibanez, but it's a jazzy semi-hollow body AM153. Exceptional quality for a Chinese guitar and plays like butter. Still no love for RGs and S models from me.
ibanez.jpg

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My main axe is a 21 fret, square-heel, fixed bridge Charvel USA Jake E. Lee signature. If Ibanez made something similar, I would probably buy it.

2869400876_gtr_dtl_007_nr.png
I don't know much about Charvels but that's dope with the angled middle and neck pickups.

I didn't consider the bridge... Mine is a double locker but it's blocked. How many hail Mary's is that?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess my confession is I have never gelled with any of the popular RGs or sabres over the years. I was turned off to the brand working as an apprentice at a music repair shop back in high school. Fast forward 25 years and I finally got an Ibanez, but it's a jazzy semi-hollow body AM153. Exceptional quality for a Chinese guitar and plays like butter. Still no love for RGs and S models from me.
View attachment 127003
Heathen!

That is a sweet guitar though, does it have flats on it? And what made you dislike RGs and Sabres when you were an apprentice?

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I always thought that the RG body was a bit too large. Probably because my first "real" guitar was an MIJ Jackson Dinky and I've become so accustomed to that, soloists, and Suhr Moderns. Am I right in thinking that the RG is larger?

I, honestly, do not like the Sabre body. I've never played one and liked it. It's the lack of forearm contour. However, I have owned a couple very nice RGs. Don't own any Ibanez currently, but I will eventually buy one of those early 00s RGTs. Or, if they reissued them or sometime similar without a terrible burl top. Was kind of my white whale guitar in high school before I got my SL2H.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Heathen!

That is a sweet guitar though, does it have flats on it? And what made you dislike RGs and Sabres when you were an apprentice?
Regular strings on this one. As for the shredder ibanez guitars, I think the first few examples I saw of warped/twisted necks were on RGs. Maybe it's cause they were so popular back then, but for the 6 months I'd come in on the weekends at the shop there were a lot of RGs in disrepair.

Dayn

Reaction score
The only Ibanez 6-string I have is a bass. The other two are an 8-string electric and 8-string classical. The only 6-string I've tried is a JEM77FP2, which I loved until I played it - the square heel and middle pickup threw me for a loop. One day I'll pick up a 6-string Ibanez. Or a 7-string...

Oh, speaking of: I confess I'm one of those people who wanted a Xiphos and a Halberd, but never bought one. I'm sorry for my lack of support.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Bloody_Inferno my confessions were to inspire others to share that they're sinners and like other things about Ibanez aside from AANJ's and two octave necks. Or maybe that they don't like those features or don't even like RG's *gasp*

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
@Bloody_Inferno my confessions were to inspire others to share that they're sinners and like other things about Ibanez aside from AANJ's and two octave necks. Or maybe that they don't like those features or don't even like RG's *gasp*

Which is why I find it cute whenever someone gets zealous over AANJs, 24 frets or whatever. They're cool too, and my fleet of RGs, Prestige or otherwise, can attest to that. But every now and then I want to pick up another kind of guitar and learn to deal with it. Because Ibanez practically have every kind of guitar that I both want and need, I can adapt to their instruments. RGs are still my home base, but I have no problem picking up a Talman, an AM93, a Darkstone, a 70s Lawsuit, a fretted or fretless bass, or whatever as long as it suits my intention to make music with it.

There was a time where session work just required a strat or tele sound, so I got my rep to get me the Talman variants of each, and I told myself to just commit to these instruments for a certain period of time. The tele in particular was tough since it's the antithesis of everything I love about RGs. But it was a good sojourn since it helped me be a better player and not to be a slave to little spec details. I've also got an RG421 with dual P90s that I use similarly, when I just want to strip things down and see how far I can go with as little perks as possible.

So if this thread was about those confessing or denying their sins, I'd like to think that I've transmigrated out of the samsara. :lol: