Ibanez getting on my nerves...

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
first thing happend around early 2007 saddle slipped forward and unhooked for the tuner thing. no big deal

then about a month ago my tremelo saddle slipped again....now im pissed.

then i fix it again then when im test playing it i flick the toggle to the neck pu and the knob fllies off into the dark abyss that is my messy floor in my room....spent about a good 15 minutes looking for a BLACK switch on a BLACK carpet....

so is it just the edge III or did i get a faulty bridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it's a direct result of it being an Edge III trem.
I know guys that have had RGs with Edge III trems since that trem was new to the RG range, and never had problems.

That said, there is options to replace it with something better.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it's a direct result of it being an Edge III trem.
I know guys that have had RGs with Edge III trems since that trem was new to the RG range, and never had problems.

That said, there is options to replace it with something better.
cool. i hear alot of complaints on the ibanez forum about kids complaining about stuff breakingalmost as soon as they get it out to play...ofcourse there kids so there probably immitating herman Ri every other riff

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
my RG with an Edge III is fine as far as hardware is concerned... IF you ignore the fact that my neck pickup wasn't working right out of the box :lol:

Totem_37

Earth's Yellow Sun
Reaction score
first thing happend around early 2007 saddle slipped forward and unhooked for the tuner thing. no big deal

then about a month ago my tremelo saddle slipped again....now im pissed.

then i fix it again then when im test playing it i flick the toggle to the neck pu and the knob fllies off into the dark abyss that is my messy floor in my room....spent about a good 15 minutes looking for a BLACK switch on a BLACK carpet....

so is it just the edge III or did i get a faulty bridge?

We're having that exact problem with the saddles that you're describing on a JEM555 we have at the music store I work at. Definitely rare to see, but it's not the first I've heard of it.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
cool. i hear alot of complaints on the ibanez forum about kids complaining about stuff breakingalmost as soon as they get it out to play...ofcourse there kids so there probably immitating herman Ri every other riff

herman ri revery rorer riff?
:lol::lol::lol:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score

I've been over at the Ibanez forum too, and have to agree with you there.
The RG 350s/370s are owned by a lot of young teens, because of various reasons, like not having the money for a Prestige, not knowing much about guitars, their parents bought it for them (that's not to say it's a bad guitar though.. if I could get a good deal on one, I would certainly get one in a heartbeat as a spare guitar).
And a lot of these kids, well, they aren't all complete guitar forum geeks (like me :lol:) who are into reading about stuff like how to set up their trem correctly etc.
So it ends up in the Edge III trem being perceived as a few as being a seriously bad piece of hardware because of apparent 'failure rates' of them.
Sure enough, it's no question the knife edges in an Edge III could never last as long as Edge Pro given equal abuse and wear over a time period, but imagine if you got a group of 40 guys, all experienced in how to use a trem, 20 get to use an Edge III, 20 use an Edge Pro.
Now, I doubt the Edge III is going to really fare any worse than the Edge Pro in terms of being able to rough it out.
It's far from being a complete piece of crap, and as proof of that, many guys have Edge III trems that have given them 2 or so years of trouble free performance, because they looked after them correctly and know how to set them up right.
They are one of the better licensed trems I imagine.
Give a silly kid an Edge Pro, and even thought the knife edges will fare better, chances are they might eventually find a way to somehow fuck up a quality Jap made trem too...just so happens far less young kids are in posession of a Prestige model.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I've had a saddle slip on my Lo-Pro Edge aswell, when my RG was new. I guess it wasn't tightened properly after it was adjusted (by the factory? Perhaps by the shop...)... Or perhaps it came loose in transport.
Oh well, I just fastened it, and that was that. Never had a problem since.

Recently I replaced the saddles on a very old Schaller trem, and some of them slipped aswell... but those are nasty, because it's very easy to strip the threads on a Schaller. I think I've fixed it now though.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I really like the edge III, my only complaint is the bar just swings around instead of staying in place. Best licensed trem on the market now imo (other than the edge pro/low pro/edge).

Jonny

Perfectionist
Reaction score
Edge IIIs are pants.

The statement above is opinionated but may very well be darn right ridiculously true.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Lo-Pro Edge on my RG3120 and had the high e saddle slips a few times, very annoying. I hate the saddle set screw, very easy to strip even with almost no force applied, 2 of those are dead on my guitar, I need to take it to a tech. I kinda hate Ibanez more and more, cheap hardware on expensive guitars is inexcusable...

Solstafir

Reaction score
The Edge III on my RG370 has never EVER gone out of tune. Tight, smooth, nothing ever "slipped", and if the strings are stretched properly stays in tune for.. well long enough till next string change. I haven't changes strings in mine for like 3 months, still in perfect pitch.

BUT! On a friend's RG370 (2006 model i believe. mine was 2003), trem and cavity were utter shit. The entire unit made strange screechy sounds whenever used, and one of the springs was rubbing onto the cavity due to baaaaad bad routing. Still makes those sounds, and though they are not heard through the amp, they are annoying cause you can feel the friction. That unit felt like tin, even the paint on that trem felt kinda.. meah...

So it kinda depends on the piece and on guitar.

Cheap guitars can be good, if you can test drive it before u buy it.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
blue threadloc is your friend. put a dab of blue thread loc on the screw that holds the saddle in place. make sure its blue or you will never be able to remove it. if your in a pinch, cant get to the store, or have no money nail polish in place of the thread loc will work. i replace all the pesky steel screws and bolts on my guitars with titanium. only draw back with titanium screws is they will strip out the steel they are threading into if you over tighten. but on a plus side. the titanium will not rust or tarnish.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
I really like the edge III, my only complaint is the bar just swings around instead of staying in place. Best licensed trem on the market now imo (other than the edge pro/low pro/edge).
theres a screw you can turn thats tightens it up, mine doesn't swing freely, hell i pull the guitar by the whammy alot just fuckin around doing herman Ri stuff and it doesnt fall out (it does slip out a bit though) , so it can be fixed

Misanthropy

Kebab Enthusiast
Reaction score
The edge III is terrible, dam cheap metal parts,I blocked it on my xiphos, I've never liked them, OFR all the way

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I find the edge 3 to be a pretty good bridge. I have never had any problems with it on my xiphos. As long as you know how to take care of FRL bridges then it should be cake. The metal isnt as good compared to other trems, but it isnt by any means a bad bridge