Ibanez Iron label 8 string prototype?

• Thread starter Mcelhany522
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mcelhany522

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ebay!

Does anyone know anything about these particular guitar(s)?
is it a one off type deal or are there more of these out there somewhere, is it even legit?
Just wondering because I really love the look of the production run, but the idea of a MIJ version is obviously much more appealing for the inner gear snob.

Would be very tempted to buy this if it is indeed a one off, but if there are more I'd probably wait.

Thanks!
Tom

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
It looks like a one off, but I see some potential natsties. There are some cracks near the neck pocket they may be more than finish cracks. The boby is obviously NOT Mahogany. The Bubinga top looks paper thin veneer. The frets don't look like they were dressed at all. The pickups look like D'marzio "made for Ibanez" junk. And there is a scarfe joint on that laminated neck?

I think you would be better of with the Indo version.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
It looks like a one off, but I see some potential natsties. There are some cracks near the neck pocket they may be more than finish cracks. The boby is obviously NOT Mahogany. The Bubinga top looks paper thin veneer. The frets don't look like they were dressed at all. The pickups look like D'marzio "made for Ibanez" junk. And there is a scarfe joint on that laminated neck?

couldn't agree more.the heel carving on the neck also looks odd for an S, and I have ever seen ibanez drill holes and have hardware for the team j craft stamp on the back of the headstock.

That scarf joint though.

Mcelhany522

Reaction score

Good catch on the cracks and neck scarf, I honestly didn't spot those. I thought the "mahogany" body thing was odd though. I believe the Indo is also a veneer top although it may be thicker? I did find it odd that the frets would be like this on a MIJ.

Definitely why I wanted another opinion or two on this, and do agree that it probably wouldn't be worth it over the regular iron label.

Thanks!

Mcelhany522

Reaction score
I still wonder if that neck isn't originally off a different guitar, just doesn't seem quite right.

Masoo2

Reaction score
The 2005 date seems odd as well.

I don't know much about Ibanez serial number dating, but I highly doubt anything similar to the Iron Labels, let alone 8 string Indo production models, was thought of in 2005.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
Yup
Didn't this model popped at NAMM around 2015 ?

More like 2014 or a bit earlier, maybe 2013. I bought my s5528 back in 2014 and i was conspiring th six28 over the pr stage that I eventually went with.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
It's a SIX28FDBG with a SIR28FD's neck and hardware swapped and fake J-Craft decal put on

run like hell

Also things to consider

-Deluxe??? Lmao
-Iron labels have a plain Ibanez headstock logo
-Iron labels have the flip-out truss rod cover
-Gibraltar Standard II came out in 2013
-That fretboard looks junky as hell

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
It's a SIX28FDBG with a SIR28FD's neck and hardware swapped and fake J-Craft decal put on

run like hell

Also things to consider

-Deluxe??? Lmao
-Iron labels have a plain Ibanez headstock logo
-Iron labels have the flip-out truss rod cover
-Gibraltar Standard II came out in 2013
-That fretboard looks junky as hell

And didn't the FDBG come with an Ebony fretboard?
Granted this is supposed to be a 'prototype' but that sounds like a flimsy excuse.

Glad I'm not the only one to have a healthy lol at the Deluxe decal :lol:

Ze_F

Reaction score
Looks like a SIX28. You bet they say it's a prototype. From 2005 ? yeah sure. 10 years early, why not ?

For the record, I owe a SIX28.

The body really looks like it comes from a SIX28, it's down to little details, some of them the Jcraft team wouldn't make (veneer cut, pseudo inlay mimicking a 4mm top, hiding the fact it's a veneer, the details of the abalone inlay, the 3 piece "mahogany" body, and so many other details etc).
They switched the back plate, added what might be deactivators from another model as well. The 3way switch is different too, but that's easily swapped.

SIX28 comes with an ebony fretboard. Where this neck comes from, no Idea. The sticker seems to be off, it comes from another guitar most likely. The neck must be homemade.

In a nutshell, my 2cents is : mongrel BS.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
A few more issues I don't think anybody has mentioned yet, some are just odd, others suggest foul play:
  • The truss rod cover is from a GIO (which I think is shaped nicer, but that's not the point).
  • The pickups have those weird extra-wide bobbins that the S8 had.
  • What's more, the body (which has everything else in common with the SIX28FDBG) was routed (AND finished) for regular width humbuckers, and then widened to accept these oddball ones (SIX28.
  • It even has the gap around the bridge that some batches of the SIX28FDBG had, like seen here.
  • Look at the plastic switch surround - it is weirdly shaped. It is way too angular.
  • The headstock doesn't look like it tapers enough- it appears too wide at the tip.
  • One of the tuner screws is silver, the others are black.
  • Those are NOT what I'd expect J Craft fret ends to look like.
  • It seems odd to me that J Craft would have a different decal for the back of the headstock on their prototypes, not to mention a full serial number.

The thing is- why do this? It seems way too much trouble. Is it a hardware swap from something like an RGIR28FE and the pickups from an S8 (with fake DiMarzio logos) and a fake neck?