Ibanez Iron Label VS Ibanez Premium

• Thread starter chrisgardiner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before I bought my Ibanez Premium RG827QMZ I did extensive research. For what I know, Premiums come from the same factory as Standard RG, but the difference is that they're built to Prestige standards, with personnel trained by Prestige builders, and have Premium fret treatment. I've even read a comment that they can be also compared to J-Customs since Prestiges doesn't have fret treatment.

First of all, it seems kinda strange that ibanez would build a guitar to premium standards but not use it for marketing purposes and such... I don´t see a little "made in premium factories" sign next to the iron label logo on the ibanez site.
Tereon...They do use that information for marketing purposes in their website as well as in the Ibanez Premium video:

As far as Iron Labels, all that I could find in a comparison or level is that they are between Premiums and Standard RGs.

I would base my choice depending on what you wanna play. If you're going straight Metal, I'd consider an Iron Label. Despite they might be built like a Standard RG, they aren't bad either. I own a Korean RG470 from 1999 and all I can say after 14 years of service is that it's a great guitar. I don't know why so many people here criticize all the time as "the neck feels like shit" or things like that...I think they spend more time complaining than making music and adapting to great gear.

On the other hand I'm into Metal too and I own an RG827 Premium and it's stands for what it promises. Now they only sell the RG927 (which is the same as 827, except it brings DiMarzio PUs from factory). Mine sounds great even with stock Ibanez pickups which aren't that bad. I'm gonna put D-Sonics there soon, so pickups aren't a great deal since you can insert great DiMarzios with minimum investment.

I'd say go for what you like most. Premiums are great, for Metal or any genre and they stand for their name, but I bet those Iron Labels are great too. If you're not a "neck whiner", you're going to enjoy any of them.

P.S. Another detail is that Iron Labels bring a killswitch from factory; no Tone knob. I NEVER use the Tone knob, and I'm considering replacing it for a killswitch soon in both of my guitars.

Tereon

Reaction score
Tereon...They do use that information for marketing purposes in their website as well as in the Ibanez Premium video:

Yeah, thats kinda the point ofthat whole premium nametag:lol:
I was trying to say that, if the iron label series was built to premium standards, they would have labelt those that way too:cool:

1968 Charger B5

Reaction score
I have a premium 927qm.....it rocks...iron label isnt bad i played one last week.,..

Id say premium feels a bit better....get what you suits you better

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
On the other hand I'm into Metal too and I own an RG827 Premium and it's stands for what it promises. Now they only sell the RG927 (which is the same as 827, except it brings DiMarzio PUs from factory). Mine sounds great even with stock Ibanez pickups which aren't that bad. I'm gonna put D-Sonics there soon, so pickups aren't a great deal since you can insert great DiMarzios with minimum investment.

I'm glad to hear that, personally - I've got the 827Z-BLK on layaway while I wait for my money from selling my amp to come back to me. It's not the prettiest of guitars, but I liked the way it felt and it's good to hear some good feedback on them.

Abolyshed

Rake
Reaction score
I want the white RGIR20E. I lurv EMG's and Ibanez's thin, fast shred necks. I have a Godin redline with a Floyd Rose and EMG 81/85 combo, so that will most likely become my number 2 (unless I hate that EMG 60 with the ceramic magnets) lol. Seems like a metal heads dream guitar, I'll post pics when I get my tax refund and buy the mafucka!

8stringthang

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. How does it sound? what do you think of the guitar as a whole? How are the PAF7 pickups?

[I]You can definitely feel the frets on the side of the neck btw. They aren't sharp on mine but they are prominent. [/I]
I was wondering about the fret work, I bought a rg7321 last year and had to file down the frets, they were F*cking terriblely sharp and sticking out!! I put a set of green evo's in and now it's decent. I just wish the premium 7 came in something other than just the quilted red....some may like it but its a turn off to me:ugh: