Ibanez Iron Label VS Ibanez Premium

• Thread starter chrisgardiner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgardiner

Reaction score
How are these new Iron Labels comparing to the Premium line as far as quality? Ordering a new 7 string today and I'm torn between the RG Premium 7 string and the Iron Label S 7 string.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
They are pretty similiar in quality. The Iron Label line is kind of the Premium Metal guitar line. Good fretwork (not the same as the Premium fretwork, tho), very nice necks and brand pickups.

Progfather

Reaction score
Well from what I know the Iron Label S has two different models. One has EMG's with a floating trem and the other has Dimarzio PAF's with a fixed Gibraltar. The Premium (RG927QM is the model I am assuming you are looking at) has Dimarzio/IBZ pickups with the floating trem. Now the pickups aren't the greatest from what I hear but they also aren't terrible. They're very neutral sounding and if you tweak your amp enough you'll be able to get a tone you may be satisfied with.

Both are made in the same factory, although you might find the craftsmanship a bit better with the Premium line since they SHOULD have more quality control on those particular models.

So I'll break it down for you:

Do you want a floating trem or a fixed bridge? Do you want passive pickups or active pickups? You get the best of both worlds in the Premium. In the Iron Label S, you basically have to pick one option over the other (Active Pickups and Floating Trem or Passive Pickups with a Fixed Bridge). Damn you Ibanez! How dare you make the players settle and compromise with your lack of options!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
shitsøn;3418057 said:
The Iron Label line is kind of the Premium Metal guitar line.

Where did you get this info from bruh? To my knowledge the Premium line is built by luthiers taught by the Fujigen guys. Ibanez sent them over from the Fujigen factory to Surabaya, Indonesia to train the local luthiers and commissioned them to build the Premium line. IE they're not OEM.

I've always thought the standard line is still OEM even if this defies common sense lol. And I've always thought the IR line is basically standard + a few aftermarket parts + binding.

chrisgardiner

Reaction score
I've always been a fixed bridge guy. I've used EMGs for years but I wouldn't mind testing some new waters on that. All the S series Iron Labels have Dimarzios which kind of stinks because I wouldn't have minded getting an S with EMGs lol.

Tereon

Reaction score
shitsøn;3418057 said:
They are pretty similiar in quality. The Iron Label line is kind of the Premium Metal guitar line.
Both are made in the same factory, although you might find the craftsmanship a bit better with the Premium line since they SHOULD have more quality control on those particular models.
Do you guys have any proof for this stuff? I´ve read things like that multiple times now, and it doesn´t really reflect my personal experience/knowledge.

First of all, it seems kinda strange that ibanez would build a guitar to premium standards but not use it for marketing purposes and such... I don´t see a little "made in premium factories" sign next to the iron label logo on the ibanez site.

Also I have been told by guys who usually know their shit when it comes to ibanez that they´re in fact standard series with a more "metally" kind of look.

And most importantly, I played a fixed bridge iron label rg7, and this one was mediocre quality if anything, fretwork was nowhere near pemium or prestige level. Ok, a single bad guitar isn´t exactly the holy grail of significance, it may just have been the one lemon, but still..

I´m not saying that it´s a fact that they´re not made in premium factories to premium quality standards, I would just really like to see some proof, since my own experience ewas so vastly different:scratch:

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I'm jones'ing for a premium so bad!! For a while I really wanted the 927qmfx but as time goes on I'm starting to want that 721rw. It looks so nice, and when I tried one out it just felt incredible.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
As for "proof" I can only say what I have experienced. I played pretty much all of the Iron Labels at NAMM and have a Premium at home. The S7 Iron Label and RG8 Iron Label had very good fretwork and played amazing. Both seemed to be of higher quality standards than your average low end/mid range Ibanez. The prices are similiar to the Premiums, too.

The sweet spot might be somewhere between the mid range and Premium series, but as far as I recall correctly, an Ibanez rep at NAMM told me that they are coming from the same factory as the Premiums.

chrisgardiner

Reaction score
I played one of the Iron Label 6 string RGs with EMGs. Played well and sounded good but as you mentioned, the fret work was shotty. Rough edges. My fretting hand ended up becoming raw. I'm honestly kind of about to reconsider the S7421 over the Iron Labels. Now it's more between the Ibanez S7421 and the Ibanez RGIR27FE. I'd really like to get away from black guitars hahaha.

Tereon

Reaction score
shitsøn;3418375 said:
As for "proof" I can only say what I have experienced. I played pretty much all of the Iron Labels at NAMM and have a Premium at home. The S7 Iron Label and RG8 Iron Label had very good fretwork and played amazing. Both seemed to be of higher quality standards than your average low end/mid range Ibanez. The prices are similiar to the Premiums, too.

The sweet spot might be somewhere between the mid range and Premium series, but as far as I recall correctly, an Ibanez rep at NAMM told me that they are coming from the same factory as the Premiums.
If an Ibanez rep told you that, I´d call that proof:lol:
Hmm, I might have passed judgement too quickly based on that one model and my prejudices. I´m definetly gonna give those another try at musikmesse.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
I played one of the Iron Label 6 string RGs with EMGs. Played well and sounded good but as you mentioned, the fret work was shotty. Rough edges. My fretting hand ended up becoming raw. I'm honestly kind of about to reconsider the S7421 over the Iron Labels. Now it's more between the Ibanez S7421 and the Ibanez RGIR27FE. I'd really like to get away from black guitars hahaha.

I was told that the iron label S is of higher quality than the s7421.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
same experience, I own a premium RG. I think it's great and it's quality is just as good as the prestige line with better looks IMO.

I played a brand new Iron Label 7 at GC the other week and it had rough/sharp fret ends and the neck had that dirty sawdust feel to it.

Keep in mind too, all the NAMM guitars were hand picked by their companies. Im sure all the low end IBBY stuff that was at the NAMM show was re-set up/frets dressed ect specifically for the show.

chrisgardiner

Reaction score
I love the S shape and I'd rather have that in a 7 string than an RG but I'm just not a fan of the black in everything.

JamminJAP

Reaction score
I dont know about the Iron Label, But I do know that my 927QM Premium neck is definitly better than my Prestiege S1625FBNT.
I would say if you are not into black anymore that would make it pretty easy.

I also agree about the 927's pickups, there definitly not horrible, but totally not D-activators either..

jamminjap-albums-premium-picture7109-dsc09624.jpg

jamminjap-albums-premium-picture7108-dsc09623.jpg

thesilentcircus

Highway Star
Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I just received my Iron Label SIR27FD today and I must say it is indeed one of the nicest necks I have ever played, I've never played a premium Ibanez before...except a Jem and I vaguely remember how that felt. The nitro wizard neck, for me anyways, made the transition from six to seven nice and smooth...although I still totally miss the fretted note and the strings lol.

You can definitely feel the frets on the side of the neck btw. They aren't sharp on mine but they are prominent.

iwDZjDx3OAttO.jpg

ivyVSE70qlMjm.jpg

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I just received my Iron Label SIR27FD today and I must say it is indeed one of the nicest necks I have ever played, I've never played a premium Ibanez before...except a Jem and I vaguely remember how that felt. The nitro wizard neck, for me anyways, made the transition from six to seven nice and smooth...although I still totally miss the fretted note and the strings lol.

You can definitely feel the frets on the side of the neck btw. They aren't sharp on mine but they are prominent.

iwDZjDx3OAttO.jpg

ivyVSE70qlMjm.jpg

Thanks for posting. How does it sound? what do you think of the guitar as a whole? How are the PAF7 pickups?

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Awesome S, thesilentcircus.

And as far as IR vs Premium, I trust Rich Harris when he talks about guitars and he says that the Premium line has "got the goods" and that is good enough for me.

thesilentcircus

Highway Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! and nice words!

Chrisjd, I would like to say that this guitar sounds very...balanced. You know for a guitar that was geared for METAL! (which is not the sole reason I purchased this guitar) it has quite a lot of versatility. The lows are tight and the highs really sing on this guitar. The range of tones you can get are really nice which is another reason why I love this guitar.

I could not be any more happier with the guitar as a whole, it is very comfortable and not too heavy. I also love the Gibraltar bridge, which I was a bit worried about reading some of the comments on here but so far where I position my right hand it feels absolutely nice and out of the way. This guitar just fits everything I personally was looking for. The Nitro Wizard neck feels really good, my Ibanez guitars have Wizard II necks on them and this just one feels very sturdy. I do not think it is gonna move anytime soon haha. It also has been making my transition from 6 to 7 a very smooth one.

If I had to describe the PAF7 pickups, I'd say its a bit of a darker sounding tone that has a lot of balanced roundness to it. Notes ring out beautifully in distorted tones and like I mentioned, I was blown away by the versatility. I was thinking of putting a Dimarzio Crunch-Lab in the bridge but to be honest I am quite satisfied with the PAF7...but then again maybe I need to hear a Crunch-Lab in person haha.

I really hope that all of that didn't sound like an advertisement haha.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! and nice words!

Chrisjd, I would like to say that this guitar sounds very...balanced. You know for a guitar that was geared for METAL! (which is not the sole reason I purchased this guitar) it has quite a lot of versatility. The lows are tight and the highs really sing on this guitar. The range of tones you can get are really nice which is another reason why I love this guitar.

I could not be any more happier with the guitar as a whole, it is very comfortable and not too heavy. I also love the Gibraltar bridge, which I was a bit worried about reading some of the comments on here but so far where I position my right hand it feels absolutely nice and out of the way. This guitar just fits everything I personally was looking for. The Nitro Wizard neck feels really good, my Ibanez guitars have Wizard II necks on them and this just one feels very sturdy. I do not think it is gonna move anytime soon haha. It also has been making my transition from 6 to 7 a very smooth one.

If I had to describe the PAF7 pickups, I'd say its a bit of a darker sounding tone that has a lot of balanced roundness to it. Notes ring out beautifully in distorted tones and like I mentioned, I was blown away by the versatility. I was thinking of putting a Dimarzio Crunch-Lab in the bridge but to be honest I am quite satisfied with the PAF7...but then again maybe I need to hear a Crunch-Lab in person haha.

I really hope that all of that didn't sound like an advertisement haha.

Thanks for sharing your experience so far. I have this exact same guitar coming(although the seller has been taking his time to ship). Can't wait to get mine.

Latest posts