Ibanez Lo Pro Edge, Floyd Rose OFR Question

• Thread starter secretpizza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this is an oft discussed topic, but I really couldn’t tell what the straight answer is from review of other forums, so I’m hoping someone can help me out. I’ve got a Jackson SL27 with an OFR. OFR is great but I often get my hand caught on the fine tuners, so I’d love to throw in a low profile Trem.

The Floyd Pro is great, but if i can get a Lo Pro Edge, that would be the ideal. Will the Lo Pro Edge fit into the OFR route? This is a 6 string guitar. And a follow up to that - is it a drop in replacement or would I need to mod the guitar to fit the Lo Pro?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this is an oft discussed topic, but I really couldn’t tell what the straight answer is from review of other forums, so I’m hoping someone can help me out. I’ve got a Jackson SL27 with an OFR. OFR is great but I often get my hand caught on the fine tuners, so I’d love to throw in a low profile Trem.

The Floyd Pro is great, but if i can get a Lo Pro Edge, that would be the ideal. Will the Lo Pro Edge fit into the OFR route? This is a 6 string guitar. And a follow up to that - is it a drop in replacement or would I need to mod the guitar to fit the Lo Pro?

Thanks!
Can't help you with the Ibanez bridge part of the question, but Floyd Rose makes a low profile version that might be compatible with the routing. You'd have to email them or check out the diagrams on their site to confirm. My broderick soloist has one and the fine tuners are definitely out of the way.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I have not used it, but the Floyd Rose Pro has a narrower string spacing than the OFR or Edge. However, the MIK 1000 series Floyd Rose Pro has the same string spacing as the OFR. I can't speak to the compatibility with the Edge.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Yeah the 1000 series pro may be the way to go. I’m planning to block it anyway so I’m not too concerned about quality differences, as long as it’s not going to go crazy out of tune or whatever. Thanks!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be that guy..

go for the Gotoh 1996T. https://g-gotoh.com/product/ge1996t/?lang=en

I can't help you much with sizing and fit but the Gotoh is certainly a closer design to the OFR than the Edge. It's not "lo pro" though..
Much as I might agree with your sentiment (I'm a big Gotoh fan), the fine tuners are definitely what the OP is looking at moving. The 1000 Series Pro should take care of that.

afterzaar

Reaction score
I have not used it, but the Floyd Rose Pro has a narrower string spacing than the OFR or Edge. However, the MIK 1000 series Floyd Rose Pro has the same string spacing as the OFR. I can't speak to the compatibility with the Edge.

Do you know if there is a left handed one of that? I haven't been able to find a left handed low profile floyd rose for years.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Much as I might agree with your sentiment (I'm a big Gotoh fan), the fine tuners are definitely what the OP is looking at moving. The 1000 Series Pro should take care of that.
Yeah, judging on how long it took Gotoh to release a 7 string version, I'm sure we will have a low profile version by the end of 2099!

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score

The GE1996T does have them angled rearwards like a Lo-Pro, though, so it may be enough to avoid OP's hand? It's one of the reasons I prefer the Gotoh, anyways.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
From my memory of the 7-string versions, a Lo Pro did not fit into an OFR recess route.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
If i remember correctly, the stud spacing is the same, however the route itself is not able to fit an Edge bridge.

You can stick an OFR in an Ibanez directly, but not an Edge into a non-Ibanez.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, the stud spacing is the same, however the route itself is not able to fit an Edge bridge.

You can stick an OFR in an Ibanez directly, but not an Edge into a non-Ibanez.
If I remember right, I had to file the treble side of a OFR7 to fit into an Edge Pro 7 route.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Only thing I have to add here is that when I had an OFR laying around, I tentatively hovered it at the post in my Ibanez RG7620 and it fit like a glove. This is no guarantee, but I suspect the Edge and Edge Lo-Pro share the same footprint as the OFR.
If I remember right, I had to file the treble side of a OFR7 to fit into an Edge Pro 7 route.
I'd treat this on a case-by-case basis. OP may have to do what you've described, or he may not.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I'll be that guy..

go for the Gotoh 1996T. https://g-gotoh.com/product/ge1996t/?lang=en

I can't help you much with sizing and fit but the Gotoh is certainly a closer design to the OFR than the Edge. It's not "lo pro" though..
The Gotoh version is really nice, I have two of them.

1) The tuners on the "fishtail" are tilted back, much like on the Edge. So, although it is not "low profile", I find it more comfortable than a typical OFR or Schaller style Floyd.
2) The saddles have beveled edges. Much like the Edge, the saddle edges are smooth, not at all like the sharp, 90 degree angles of typical Floyd bridges.
3) The bassplate is flat. The Gotoh has a flatter baseplate than the Edge, so it is more likely to be compatible with typical Floyd routing.
4) Locking studs are great.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I guess I should have specified I was talking about original Edge/Lo-Pro Edge routes specifically. Good to know about the Edge Pro route, though.