Ibanez Premium Marco Sfogli signature

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Don´t get me wrong, but there is nothing special that sets the MSM apart from other RG Models. I like Ibanez and Marcos playing, but i can´t understand Ibanez´ Signature philosophy at all. The Artist can choose the Base Model, chance the Specs on Wood, Hardware and Finish and thats all, nothing special. Even the Meshuggah Model isn´t that far from an Stock 8 String RG.

If you look at Jackson or ESP, the Artists there get new Shapes and Stuff like that, which Ibanez doesn´t do.

So, to me, there is no need for the MSM Signature Model.
Again, no bashing against Ibanez, just what i think about the Signature Models from Ibanez.

We don't see wenge necks in America often though, we had I think that one J custom and europe has been luckier with a few premiums iirc.

As for Ibanez's signature philosphy what about things like the NDM4, FRM, SDB, MDB, and GWB? (Won't include the JEM since that sorta started their main line and Steve Vai probably can do a lot of things there). They might not have the resources like Jackson (since it is Fender music corp, not sure how Hoshino treats Ibanez) to do everything they want as well. I'm sure many at Ibanez want to do more than they can.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also, I don't see why a sig model has to have a different shape? Maybe they're fine with the existing platform, but stock specs just don't suit their needsa. Marco wanted a guitar with the JP layout, exotic woods, and a non-locking SynchroniZR bridge. I don't see any guitars that cover that in Ibanez's lineup. Not every sig model has to be an extreme departure, it could just be a subtle change of specs that fits the artist.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to see Marco finally get a sig. Too bad it's a Premium.

Boojakki

Reaction score
I love it. The trem, the electronics layout, the woods... I'm much into vintage/modern hybrids nowadays, brings the best out of both worlds. Wonder what pickups will be factory installed ;P I will most definitely buy one, so bring it Ibanez!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh the three Premiums I've owned were all solid guitars and the trem looks to be a good one and not one of the cheaper alternatives so not seeing a problem... as long as it's not $1500 :lol:

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
2 premiums I had were :poop: Granted it was early on when they were first available, but that soured me from ever wanting one again. Especially when you can get sick setups from Rich on prestiges for a couple hundred more in most cases.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Artist can choose the Base Model, chance the Specs on Wood, Hardware and Finish and thats all, nothing special.

That's not at all accurate.

Granted, there are different tiers of Ibanez endorsement, and even different tiers of Signature models, but overall the sky is pretty much the limit.

The lowest tier, which this actually seems to be above, allows for the use of any existing Ibanez option/feature in whatever the artists' given preferences. But above that things like small body modifications, unique hardware, unique control layouts, artist preferred pickups, etc. are all available.

If you look at Jackson or ESP, the Artists there get new Shapes and Stuff like that, which Ibanez doesn´t do.

Jackson and ESP typically has to make completely new instruments when on-boarding artists as they choose to buy them over opposed to tapping long standing artists.

Not slighting them at all, but that has been their strategy for at least the last decade and a half. They have far deeper pockets than Ibanez and it shows in the artist rosters.

Ibanez is much more frugal in that regard, choosing to go with long time Ibanez players who typically already want a very Ibanez-like guitar.

A good example would be Paul Waggoner, who played Ibanez Saber models for almost two decades. All he wanted was a specific finish, a slightly thicker body, and his own pickups. The Saber was already what he wanted.

Then on the ESP and Jackson sides you have the Buz model which was ESP's take on a slim body super strat, their variant on the Saber concept as that's what Buz played for many years. They needed to make him what he previously played. Then the new Mick models from Jackson, the Soloist is essentially his MTM1 in Jackson dress.

hatena6

Reaction score
https://www.thomann.de/intl/ibanez_msm1_marco_sfogli.htm
398362.jpg

Thomann has posted it.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Specs, for the lazy:

Ibanez MSM1 Marco Sfogli signature e-guitar, premium, american basswood body, tineo top, MSM 5 pcs.wenge/bubinga neck, wenge fretboard thomann with MOP fretboard inlays, 24 jumbo frets with fret edge treatment, scale 680mm, nut width 48mm, 1 Di marzio air norten (neck) and 1 Di marzio the tone zone (bridge) humbucker pickup, synchroniZR tremolo with ZPS-FX, chrome hardware, gotoh MG-T machine heads, thomann finish natural, incl. softcase and multitool

Hadn't even heard of a Tineo top before. Wenge/Bubinga is a cool choice for the neck though!

Also, add me to the list that wishes this was Prestige vs. Premium, BUT I also feel like the Premium price point is much better for a signature guitar.

katsumura78

Reaction score
Sfogli is such a beast. Spec wise I'm most excited about the "JP" control layout. I've sold every Ibanez I've owned because that volume knob is in the worst spot. Is this guitar coming to the US as well?! I'd love to check one out.

Boojakki

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the specs just yet ... That would be a baritone 7-string with that scale length and that nut width ;)

s_k_mullins

!@#$?!
Reaction score
I'm really digging this. Marco definitely deserves a signature. And it looks good too!

A little lighter in color than I thought it would be but still nice.

D9ADD452-B06E-4187-A2A2-68E8B81650AC_zpsioa2lcla.jpeg

jvms

Reaction score
Wait, are these the correct specs? 48mm nut and 680mm scale don't really sound right on a six string, mainly the nut.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As said before, the specs are most likely very wrong.

A 48mm nut and a 680mm scale is something you'd see on a 7-string.