Ibanez RG Pickup Opinions Wanted.

Dambo55

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a lower tier Ibanez RG2EX2, it's a cheaper RG, think it was a GC exclusive years back.

Anyways, I've owned about a dozen guitars over the years, and this one plays amazing, and I love it. It's my #1, even though I have way "Nicer" guitars.

So, question is, the stock pups leave lots to be desired. They're some EMG for Ibanez things.

I typically gravitate to passives. But since I really like the looks on this thing, I'm thinking EMTY Blackouts. I played reg Blackouts years ago, and liked them. I also like the EMG 57/66 & Het Set. Never really gelled with 81's though.

So, would the MT Blackouts fit in this? Would a set of passive SD's, or Dimarzios fit? I'm pretty sure Dimarzios would, as I've seen lots of people online customize this exact model with Petrucci pup sets.

So, at this point I contemplating options for this cheap Basswood RG. What would you choose? And why??

Guitar is stock aside from a Graphtech nut. New tuners, and possible bridge upgrade will be done at the same time as the pup swap. Preferably direct drop ins. Suggestions on that too please. If anyone is in the know.

Thank you,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Duncan Distortion is my go to passive bridge pickup. However, the stock V8 in my RG does just fine now with the magnet swapped for ceramic.

gclef

Reaction score
I am a big dimarzio fan, and have run a bunch thru my 3 rgs over the years.

I'm not a modern metal/heavy guy though.
I play blues rock to thrash metal mostly.

Guitars
Rg3xxv - came with an air norton s/dactivator. Swapped the dact for a super 3, norton, and full shred. The originals remain the goto here. They work great for all sorts of metal

Rg921 This came with the dim/ibz pickups. Mine came with 2 bridge pickups, so put they went.
I tried full shreds, norton/air norton, and a bunch of others. Ended up withva breed set and am super happy. This one is a main player. The breeds are no joke

Rg520qs - this one is mahogany and had a crap ton of pickups in it Ober the last 25 years.
V7/v8
V7/ tone zone
V7 steve's special
V7/norton
Air norton/norton
Full shreds
Lace hemibuckers
Way more that I forgot about.
This has a mo'joe/paf joe combo that may very well stay in. They are looser sounding/feeling than the breeds.

I'm sitting on a set of transitions that need some installing.

I also have a set of emg 57/66tws ( the splittable ones) in another bolt on. While I like these, they react totally differently to passives. It took a while to get used to that. The tws will not fit without routing, but the regular ones will.

The really great thing about RGs is that you can put pretty much any pickup in them and sound like you want it too.

I'm big on the modern features/improvements with are classic sound.

Best of luck

Necky379

Reaction score
I’ve had a few RG’s, my keeper is a beat to hell HSH 570. I swapped pickups around in it for about a year. It’s tuned to C and I mostly play metal with it.

I ended up with a JB in the bridge, I swapped out the long screws for short ones. I like JB mids and the short screws modernize it a little without changing much. The character of the attack is different and it’s slightly tighter this way.

I have a Schecter Monstertone in the middle spot. It doesn’t sound like a typical single coil, it’s definitely beefier and duller for lack of a better word. It can sound like Knopfler and I like it clean or for bluesy overdriven stuff. It balances well with the other pickups, better than a traditional single coil would in my opinion.

In the neck position I use a Screamin’ Demon with the poles swapped from one bobbin to the other (this was done purely for aesthetics). It’s a bridge pickup that works great as a neck pickup. It has a brighter sound but it is not harsh at all in the neck. It sounds like a flute to me, great for lead work.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of pickups in a handful of 6 string RG models over the years and currently have one set up with a Dimarzio D-Sonic bridge and Air Norton neck. I'm also a big fan of the D-Activator and Dominion bridge models for anything heavy and the PAF Pro if you want something brighter/cleaner for the neck :metal:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what you want to play with that guitar, but I have a SD Nazgul/Sentient set on my 7 string that is probably one of my favorite sets I've got. If the Nazgul is too hot, then a Pegasus would be cool. I have an Ibby AZ with the SD Hyperion pickups that sounds absolutely sublime, and those pickups are supposedly heavily based on the Pegasus/Sentient set. Absolutely versatile.

My death metal machine is currently my RGA121 with a Dimarzio D Activator in the bridge. Really like that pickup.

Dambo55

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry guys, should have explained my tone, and the music I play. I wouldn’t say “modern” I prefer 90’s tones. My favorite tone is on the first two BFMV albums. (I know that’s 2000’s, but luv that tone!) I currently play through a Randall Solid State rig. Getting a couple tube amps soon also, For some projects.

My playing style is very Big 4 influenced, with some Dime thrown in, and also the first 3 Def Leppard albums. So hard rock- groove metal. Is what I write and play. Mostly playing my own tunes these days.

So, would the MT Blackouts fit? Or should I go with the mentioned SD set above, or even Black Winters? Will they fit? And any bridges that would directly drop in?

Also, thank you all so much for the responses so far!!

BabUShka

Reaction score
Tried Blackouts in two guitars ( Schecter ATX and Ran Crusher) . They do sound massive and aggressive. If you mix an EMG81 and a Seymour Duncan Distortion and boost them, thats like a blackout sound for me. I dont think they are that Dynamic, the output is very high and just not my cup of tea. I find other pickups easier to control sound wise, thats my opinion at least.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Sorry guys, should have explained my tone, and the music I play. I wouldn’t say “modern” I prefer 90’s tones.
"Modern" is subjective. Plenty of electric guitar players consider anything that isn't a vintage '60s / '70s tone to be "modern".

My favorite tone is on the first two BFMV albums. (I know that’s 2000’s, but luv that tone!)
That's EMGs (81/85 & 81/81).

My playing style is very Big 4 influenced,
Most of their classic albums were recorded using SD JB (Mustaine & Scott Ian), SD Invader ('80s Hetfield), Super Distortion (early Slayer), EMGs (Metallica & Slayer '90s onwards).

and also the first 3 Def Leppard albums.
Here's what Phil Collen uses / has used: https://www.dimarzio.com/artists/phil-collen

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Sorry guys, should have explained my tone, and the music I play. I wouldn’t say “modern” I prefer 90’s tones. My favorite tone is on the first two BFMV albums. (I know that’s 2000’s, but luv that tone!) I currently play through a Randall Solid State rig. Getting a couple tube amps soon also, For some projects.

My playing style is very Big 4 influenced, with some Dime thrown in, and also the first 3 Def Leppard albums. So hard rock- groove metal. Is what I write and play. Mostly playing my own tunes these days.

So, would the MT Blackouts fit? Or should I go with the mentioned SD set above, or even Black Winters? Will they fit? And any bridges that would directly drop in?

Also, thank you all so much for the responses so far!!
If I was trying to cover this ground with a basswood RG, I would be tempted to go with Super Distortion + PAF Pro or D Activator bridge + D Activator neck.

Which of the two sets I go for would depend what tone(s) I will spend most time playing with that guitar. Thrash: D Activators. Hard rock / groove: Super Distortion + PAF Pro.
Also, if I was tuning below E standard / Drop D than that would definitely swing me towards D Activators.

FWIW Super Distortion often gets overlooked as outdated / boring, but it's pretty versatile for rock and metal and has been popular for 50 years for a reason. They've been used to great effect for anything from classic rock, to '90s pop-punk, to death metal.

Dambo55

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, I play in D standard, and Drop C. Gonna set up an LTD F series I have for Drop C# too.

Are the Black Winters an updated Super Distortion ? And would they drop right in?

I’ve researched the D-Activators once. That is a good option for this guitar. I think Nita had them in all her guitars, before her sig set, which is based off of them. And Mr Broderick.

Dambo55

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Modern" is subjective. Plenty of electric guitar players consider anything that isn't a vintage '60s / '70s tone to be "modern".

That's EMGs (81/85 & 81/81).

Most of their classic albums were recorded using SD JB (Mustaine & Scott Ian), SD Invader ('80s Hetfield), Super Distortion (early Slayer), EMGs (Metallica & Slayer '90s onwards).

Here's what Phil Collen uses / has used: https://www.dimarzio.com/artists/phil-collen
Yea, I should have been more specific. When I said more 90’s and less Modern. What I meant is modern metal. Like “Djent” type tone. With a ton of mids & highs, and not much under 400K, lower mids, and lows. I like deep, hard thumping riffage. I do like Kind of a scooped sound. AJFA/CFH etc.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Yes, I play in D standard, and Drop C. Gonna set up an LTD F series I have for Drop C# too.

Are the Black Winters an updated Super Distortion ?
Super Distortion = DiMarzio
Distortion = Seymour Duncan

Two very different sounding pickups! It doesn't help that 'Seymour Duncan' and 'Super Distortion' have the same initials.

The Black Winter bridge is a modified Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge, so there are lots of similarities. The Black Winter has more mids and is probably the more versatile pickup.
The Black Winter neck model sounds very different to the Distortion neck. Darker, smoother, better cleans. Not as cutting.

And would they drop right in?
I believe so, but I'm unsure of the dimensions of the pickups / mounting rings that your guitar has. No issue for an RG that came with standard passive Ibanez or DiMarzio pickups as stock though.

I’ve researched the D-Activators once. That is a good option for this guitar. I think Nita had them in all her guitars, before her sig set, which is based off of them. And Mr Broderick.
I love D Activators in D standard. Not sure about Nita Strauss, but Chris Broderick used them in Megadeth and then got his own signature variant of them. For palm mutes and harmonics, the D Activator bridge is as good as it gets from a passive pickup IME. Even the neck model makes pinch harmonics more effortless than most high-output bridge models!

Last edited:

Dambo55

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Super Distortion = DiMarzio
Distortion = Seymour Duncan

Two very different sounding pickups! It doesn't help that 'Seymour Duncan' and 'Super Distortion' have the same initials.

The Black Winter bridge is a modified Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge, so there are lots of similarities. The Black Winter has more mids and is probably the more versatile pickup.
The Black Winter neck model sounds very different to the Distortion neck. Darker, smoother, better cleans. Not as cutting.

I believe so, but I'm unsure of the dimensions of the pickups / mounting rings that your guitar has. No issue for an RG that came with standard passive Ibanez or DiMarzio pickups as stock though.

I love D Activators in D standard. Not sure about Nita Strauss, but Chris Broderick used them in Megadeth and then got his own signature variant of them. For palm mutes and harmonics, the D Activator bridge is as good as it gets from a passive pickup IME. Even the neck model makes pinch harmonics more effortless than most high-output bridge models!
Okay. Thank you for that. You made me remember why I researched the D activators in the first place. Harmonics, and pinch harmonics. As I incorporate a lot of that into my playing.

Think I’m gonna do those, and Black Winters in something else perhaps.

And I always meant the SD Distortion as the basis of the BW’s. I wrote it wrong though.
I have a set of them in my SL2. It came factory w them. Thank you, can’t believe I did that. Musta been a brain fart or something lol.

Now, no Ibanez guys in here have an answer about the bridge & tuners?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

For bridges, either Gotoh or Hipshot should serve you well. I recently replaced the bridge on my RG421 with a Gotoh GTC101 (brass) and it was fantastic and not too costly. Most guys here will recommend Hipshot since they look sleek and comfy, though they cost a little bit more. Still an awesome bridge and you can't go wrong with either.

For tunes, again Gotoh's SG381 range are the obvious choices, be it standard, Magnum Lock or HAP, all are great, and I believe direct retrofits for RGs. Though I did recently put Graphtech Ratios on one of my RGs and they're fantastic too.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay. Thank you for that. You made me remember why I researched the D activators in the first place. Harmonics, and pinch harmonics. As I incorporate a lot of that into my playing.

Think I’m gonna do those, and Black Winters in something else perhaps.

And I always meant the SD Distortion as the basis of the BW’s. I wrote it wrong though.
I have a set of them in my SL2. It came factory w them. Thank you, can’t believe I did that. Musta been a brain fart or something lol.

For bridges, either Gotoh or Hipshot should serve you well. I recently replaced the bridge on my RG421 with a Gotoh GTC101 (brass) and it was fantastic and not too costly. Most guys here will recommend Hipshot since they look sleek and comfy, though they cost a little bit more. Still an awesome bridge and you can't go wrong with either.

For tunes, again Gotoh's SG381 range are the obvious choices, be it standard, Magnum Lock or HAP, all are great, and I believe direct retrofits for RGs. Though I did recently put Graphtech Ratios on one of my RGs and they're fantastic too.
Can confirm that Gotoh SG381 tuners are a direct retrofit for RGs. There might be exceptions, but every Ibanez that I have seen and that I own (1 Gio RG, 2 Prestige RGs including a PIA, a Prestige AZ, and even my Ibanez Artcore from 2006) will fit a set of Gotoh SG381 of some sort (locking or non-locking). 4 of them already have Gotohs in them, and only my Artcore doesn't, but they have the same measurements as my other Ibbies. Pretty sure the SG381s are a bit of an industry standard.

Latest posts