Ibanez RG Volume Knob Issue

• Thread starter MontaraMike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
Another thing...who palm-mutes in the first or second string?

Um... I do? And I'm sure that tons of other people do as well :lol:

you guys need to refine your picking technique, maybe strike softer the strings

Yeah, if you play with high gain. But I like my tone to be responsive and dynamic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
I also have that problem with most super strats, and I won't argue it's my own fault, but it is frustrating.

I wonder if Jeff Beck would be able to do his thing if the Strat volume knob were anywhere else.

It's personal, though.

I don't think I have really had such an issue with volume knob position.

I've smacked the selector switch on Strat/RG guitars though where I'm really going for it...

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
3 pics +
perceuse.png

Problem solved....
If you have guitar issues, BIG Paul has always a solution.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
yea i also have that, what makes the problem worse is that on all my other guitars i've put the volume knob in place of the tone knob and ripped the tone out, so when i wan't to roll down volume on my rg i'm always rolling down the tone... too laze to change em around

Austin175

Reaction score
Not sure how it's a problem lol. I have to agree with everyone else cause on my RG7321, when I shred I rarley every hit the volume knob. Maybe it's cause I have small hand's though lol.

So maybe learn a new picking technique or get a dummy knob an put it in there.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
You don't have to pull in your fingers but they mustn't move, the hand has to be fixed.
The only reason is your right hand...You must use your wrist and not your arm for fast picking...it's really hard to relearn but it's the only way to achieve a super clean fast alternative picking...Keep your arm for Hetfield's down stroke death attack riffs.
I have really long fingers and my old 1987 RG560 has the volume knob 5mm (metric system) away from the humbucker...really really close. On the 7620, it is farer.
If you have long fingers, fingers pulled in ala BucketHead Paul Gilbert or put them on the table to control the picking position ala Steve Vai Yngwie Malmsteen.
These guys are giants and they don't have issues. The commun point is this universal wrist picking technique, very static, very calm, very precise...you can't avoid this sorry.

MontaraMike

F Sharp
Reaction score
You don't have to pull in your fingers but they mustn't move, the hand has to be fixed.
The only reason is your right hand...You must use your wrist and not your arm for fast picking...it's really hard to relearn but it's the only way to achieve a super clean fast alternative picking...Keep your arm for Hetfield's down stroke death attack riffs.
I have really long fingers and my old 1987 RG560 has the volume knob 5mm (metric system) away from the humbucker...really really close. On the 7620, it is farer.
If you have long fingers, fingers pulled in ala BucketHead Paul Gilbert or put them on the table to control the picking position ala Steve Vai Yngwie Malmsteen.
These guys are giants and they don't have issues. The commun point is this universal wrist picking technique, very static, very calm, very precise...you can't avoid this sorry.

Thank you!! I am going to give this a shot. I will admit my fast picking is not clean, so there is another reason to re-learn.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
You're welcome dude, I was in the same position 3 years ago, it was hard but I don't regret it.
I still practice this more than anything else...You will rediscover your songs,your feeling, you'll be calmer on your instrument and this is the key. Calm and breathing

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
If you have guitar issues, BIG Paul has always a solution.

Funny you mention big Paul, because Paul Gilbert actually has the same problem as the OP.

pgm90th2az8.jpg

That's why he has all his PGM volume controls well out of the way. Plus he also states that he does the whole wave your arm in the air thing...

http--img2.ymlp257.net-7huu_PaulGilbert1_1.jpg

...and the first thing he wants to hit when his hand goes down, is the volume knob.

phugoid

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Strat - to fix it I took a small think elastic band, and stretched it around the volume knob. It was still possible to turn the knob, but there was enough resistance that my fingers didn't turn it from casual nudging only.

Then again, the strat's volume knob flares into a really large-diameter base and there's space between the knob and the guitar top, so the elastic band held in there and you couldn't even see it. It might be harder to do this with the RG...

Dickicker

Reaction score
on all of my RGs I move the volume to the tone and insert a 3/8's nylon hole plug in the volume hole spot and paint it to match the guitar, or just leave it black. haha I ordered 100 of them off the bay for $5 sense I have so many people who ask for them at my shop.

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
When I was first getting started I had a guitar that had grounding issues and I kept my pinky lightly touching the bottom of the bridge pickup's cover as much as possible to fight the buzzing. It became habit, and a pleasant side effect is that this isn't much of an issue for me.