Ibanez RG2228 nut

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Simply: does anyone know where to get a replacement one of these for a good price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Simply: does anyone know where to get a replacement one of these for a good price?

Any authorized Ibanez dealer or distributor/importer can order you one. Just call or e-mail them.

Just make a new one, you can get nut blanks from multiple online stores.

I don't think you know what an RG2228 is. :)

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Any authorized Ibanez dealer or distributor/importer can order you one. Just call or e-mail them.

I spoke to a guitar builder who said they wouldn't supply him with any parts, apparently they're strange about it?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I spoke to a guitar builder who said they wouldn't supply him with any parts, apparently they're strange about it?

Where was he trying to source the parts from? Perhaps that's a regional thing. Call and order your own parts, it's really easy.

I have heard stories of Ibanez not supplying certain parts to builders, but if the instrument needs repair and is within warranty they will supply the parts.

i feel like Rich's prices are far to high

Rich's prices aren't really any higher than Ibanez directly, at least 95% of the time. Ibanez doesn't want to be a part supplier and prices their components as such.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Rich's prices aren't really any higher than Ibanez directly, at least 95% of the time. Ibanez doesn't want to be a part supplier and prices their components as such.

Are you saying an 8 string locking nut is $175 RRP? I can buy the whole trem for that here in the UK.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you saying an 8 string locking nut is $175 RRP? I can buy the whole trem for that here in the UK.

Yes.

Like I said, Ibanez doesn't want to be a parts supplier. What broke on your current RG2228 nut?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Yes.

Like I said, Ibanez doesn't want to be a parts supplier. What broke on your current RG2228 nut?

To be honest mate, nothing. I wanted to get my hands on one to see what the string spacing is like, I currently have a Siggery with a Kahler hybrid on it and he told me he had to make the neck thicker than he wanted because of the size of the Kahler nut. He assures me if we can track down an Ibanez 8 string nut it's possible to change it over and shave the neck down.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
To be honest mate, nothing. I wanted to get my hands on one to see what the string spacing is like, I currently have a Siggery with a Kahler hybrid on it and he told me he had to make the neck thicker than he wanted because of the size of the Kahler nut. He assures me if we can track down an Ibanez 8 string nut it's possible to change it over and shave the neck down.

I'm pretty sure the string spacings aren't the same on the two, actually. I can't remember where i read it though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The spacing is listed right on the Ibanez website. Not to mention, you could probably have some guys here measure thier guitars for you.

What is the Radius of your Siggery? If 400mm will work, just grab the cheaper RGA8 nut.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the string spacings aren't the same on the two, actually. I can't remember where i read it though.

If you mean the 2 Ibanez nuts, then yep there's a 1mm difference ... if you mean the Ibanez and Kahler, the difference is pretty huge! I believe it's around 5mm which you can definitely feel.

The spacing is listed right on the Ibanez website. Not to mention, you could probably have some guys here measure thier guitars for you.

What is the Radius of your Siggery? If 400mm will work, just grab the cheaper RGA8 nut.

My bad, I see that now. I'm guessing 54mm would feel a lot more "comfortable" than what I currently have which is near 60 I'm told. Marty tells me my radius is currently 16" I'd have to ask him if that would "work" though.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Ibanez got there act together in regards to supplying parts so they are readily available now. Unfortunately it came with a large price tag. Rich is not overcharging for parts, that is simply what Ibanez is charging for them. But at least you can get them now.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Ibanez got there act together in regards to supplying parts so they are readily available now. Unfortunately it came with a large price tag. Rich is not overcharging for parts, that is simply what Ibanez is charging for them. But at least you can get them now.

I see, I just thought £116 for a locking nut was a bit steep ...

jsl2h90

Reaction score
i feel like Rich's prices are far to high
...Until you see the Ibby retail price on their official site. OP, I replaced mine in January and went with Rich, he may have upped his price since then but it cost me $175 as opposed to the Ibanez price of $300+.

Sucks, cause a 6 string nut is like $35 with no hassle but oh well. I guess that's just something us 2228'ers gotta deal with for now until Ibby decides to make their parts more cost effective.