Ibanez RG2228 vs RGDMS8?

• Thread starter stev097
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stev097

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at purchasing my first eight string, ideally budget around £1k max inc. upgrades (based in UK) - have the option of picking up a second hand Prestige RG2228 for £700ish, which I could then upgrade the pickups in (Fishmans?), or picking up a new Ibanez RGDMS8.

See a lot of people raving about the RG2228's still, so I was just wondering how they compare to newer 8 strings like the RGDMS8?

I'll be using clean tones/less heavy distortion maybe more than the average 8-string player as I come from a jazz/fusion background, hence wanting to change the 808s out of the RG2228, so any recommendations along this line would be really appreciated (or if there any other models/brands you think are worth considering at this price point let me know!).

Thanks all! ☺️

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1 word: Prestige

Also banshee elite 8 is one of the best 8 strings overall near that price point

TheDandy

Reaction score
RG2228 all the way. I've never found Ibanez's multiscales comfortable, the neutral fret is in a dumb spot. Plus the 2228 is bound to be built better I'd imagine.

cip 123

Reaction score

They've gone as low as £600 in the UK. I'm watching all 3 on reverb rn, they've been up for a while and the price has slowly dropped.

As much as it is a joke on the forum the Used Prestige market in the UK is absolutely killer.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I love the RGD body shape and have two RGD Prestige 7s. I also really like multi-scales (3x EHB basses and one Legator 8 string). But with that choice, RG2228 all the way. That is iconic for production 8 stringers. Also, the 808 pickups might surprise you for their cleans. If you need more headroom, those are EMGs that can take 18 or even 27 volts.

If you want multi-scale and Fishmans, the Legator Ninja N8FX is solid too.

Dayn

Reaction score
RG2228 if it's in good condition. I've had mine for 15 years now, replaced the pickups with 808Xs (later Fishmans) and got a stainless steel refret a couple of years ago.

Even though I'd prefer if it was a multiscale, after having played many other really good 8-strings, my RG2228 is still the best feeling and best playing guitar I have.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The 2228 is still the best production 8 string of all time.

It has some flaws and limitations, but that says more about the rest of the market to be honest. Ibanez got it right the first time.

I own 3 2228 variants and plan to get the other 4 some day too.

cip 123

Reaction score
The 2228 is still the best production 8 string of all time.

It has some flaws and limitations, but that says more about the rest of the market to be honest. Ibanez got it right the first time.

I own 3 2228 variants and plan to get the other 4 some day too.
Save some for the rest of us Steven!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To play the devil's cheap advocate: I haven't played the 2228, but have an RGA8 that's pretty nice. Swap out the original electronics for anything else and it's an amazing guitar for the money.

Mine has Blackouts but I'll be switching to EMG's soon. 808/X's or some combo of 57/60/66's. The like the 8 string Blackouts better than 7 string ones, but I'm an EMG guy.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
C’mon! Dis you see the first fret of the RGDMS8?

No way! Ugliest first fret for a Multiscale neck.
Get a 2228 in hands you will ask no more!
Pick-ups are good. Not my favorites but the do the job. Swap them when you can.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
A few things.

The difference in overall build quality between the Prestige 2228 and the RGD is going to be tangible. Not a deal breaker, and not a chasm of difference, but it will be there, and you'll notice it. Whether or not that's a big enough deal for your to lean one way or the other is up to you, but the Prestige will be better enough that you'll be aware of it. This doesn't make the RGD bad, mind you. I've got Prestiges that I play just as much as my Axion Label stuff. Just different, and objectively more care was taken with the build.

As someone who's got multiple 8 strings in both straight and multi-scale, I absolutely cannot recommend the multi-scale strongly enough. It hardly takes any time to adjust to (as long as the fan isn't too extreme - I've got a headless 8 that fans from 25.5" to 28.8", and that took some time), and the benefits cannot be ignored. I've got a 7 string that's fanned as well, and while it's helpful and I prefer it, it's something that I won't buy an 8 without at this point - it makes too much of a positive difference for me personally.

Fishmans are hot. Bordering on too hot for me, and if it wasn't for the option of the second voice that mimics a passive, I'd have swapped them a while back. Not a big issue, really. Worst case scenario, they'll be good enough until you decide what to swap them for, if you don't take to them. That being said, when you're talking about anything G or lower, the midrange focus of the modern voice on those Fishman pickups really helps keep it clear.

To directly answer your question, if we were talking 7 strings, I'd say go with the Prestige and don't look back. But talking about 8 strings, with the extra neck width and variances in tension necessity between the high E and low F#, I'd go with the RGD purely because it's multi-scale and those guitars are really good for the money. I just can't honestly favor a straight-scale 8 anymore after feeling how much better a multi-scale feels and plays.

Caveat - the 2228 is probably the only straight-scale 8 string I would buy at this point. Tough decision to be sure.

Last edited: