Ibanez RG8=Good first 8 string?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been debating if I want an 8 string or not. I think I still consider myself a 7 string guy, but it wouldn't be bad just to have one for songwriting/creative reasons.

Now the only local guitar store that has one is my guitar center ,and it has an Ibanez RG8 for $400. The reviews seem mixed, and I've always thought a new guitar sub $500 is potentially not worth it. But does anyone have any experience with one/thoughts?

I could always just try it out to see if I want to pull the trigger on an 8 string (which I will do regardless) and then go on reverb etc and possibly buy used what you guys would suggest instead (like a Schecter?)

I imagine my budget is like absolute $500 though if I can go the $300-$400 route that would be better.

Joan Maal

Reaction score
That RG8 can make you hate the 8 strings forever... Id go directly to a preowned Schecter C-8 or an RGA8. If you can reach to a RG2228 you will love it.

Also, i will consider 27" as minimum scale length

jco5055

Reaction score
That RG8 can make you hate the 8 strings forever... Id go directly to a preowned Schecter C-8 or an RGA8. If you can reach to a RG2228 you will love it.

Also, i will consider 27" as minimum scale length

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out what you suggest on Reverb etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in the US you can grab a used RG8 for $200 or $250 all day every day. I love mine. The pickups suck, but with your budget, you could buy it, test the waters, if you like it, upgrade the pups to something a bit better. That said, I still have mine with stock pups and it's not the worst. A good first 8 for sure.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Good for first 8 string? NO.

Good for mod platform? YES.

IMO, RG8 has really good base neck and body. It's just that the hardwares and electronics are kinda crappy.

jco5055

Reaction score
Being in the US you can grab a used RG8 for $200 or $250 all day every day. I love mine. The pickups suck, but with your budget, you could buy it, test the waters, if you like it, upgrade the pups to something a bit better. That said, I still have mine with stock pups and it's not the worst. A good first 8 for sure.

Thanks! Yeah I mean if I went with the RG8 used I could probably get it so cheap it wouldn't really even matter if I didn't like 8 strings.

Good for first 8 string? NO.

Good for mod platform? YES.

IMO, RG8 has really good base neck and body. It's just that the hardwares and electronics are kinda crappy.

Yeah I just noticed that RG8 modded thread haha

SurelyTheEnd

Surely The End.
Reaction score
I bought a used RG8, and it's getting a string change and pickup swap to Dimarzio PAF8's or a PAF8 and a D Activator/Ionizer in the bridge. It plays really nice, for sure, but I would try the one you are buying before laying down cash. As far as an entry point I to 8's, you are unlikely to find a better way to test the water. Have fun with it!

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Don't get one if you plan on tuning to drop E because even if you take out the spring and put the saddle all the way back you will not get it within 10cent range, intonationwise. Tried every string size between like 64 and 95, without success. Would've kept it if I was using standard tuning because the rest was really cool and definitely usable, if you put in some nice pickups.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Don't get one if you plan on tuning to drop E because even if you take out the spring and put the saddle all the way back you will not get it within 10cent range, intonationwise. Tried every string size between like 64 and 95, without success. Would've kept it if I was using standard tuning because the rest was really cool and definitely usable, if you put in some nice pickups.

Curious if you had one of the newer ones. I thought this was corrrected when they switched to mahogany bodies (prior to the jatoba boards) and changed the way the ferrules were staggered.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Curious if you had one of the newer ones. I thought this was corrrected when they switched to mahogany bodies (prior to the jatoba boards) and changed the way the ferrules were staggered.
I believe mine was basswood. All that needed to be done was put back the bridge maybe half a cm and all strings should be able to intonate correctly. I hope that's what they did on the newer model :agreed:
Still, that's something I'd check out first before buying :D

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
I bought an RG8 used for like $250 last year. It's wide, heavy and the pickups are terrible. Pass it up for something better. I like my Ibanez 6's but I'm really not getting along with the 8.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Agreed. 828 Agile
Every RG8 I’ve tried sucks and I don’t trust schecter after buying a brand new piece of garbage KM-7 when they first came out.

The Agile came out of the box playing great and still does.

Fraz666

Reaction score
my RG8 has pros and cons, but I like it and for the price is a good start (150€ used + 50€ 1 Blackouts used). The 27" scale is important

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Rg8 was my first 8, i loved it!
This. I dunno why people are making it sound so horrible. Well it was my second 8. But I didn't really see anything wrong with it. Just needed a pickup swap and a setup for me.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I wanted to love my RG8 but just couldn't. I sunk ~$400 in mods into it to make it decent, but it always just felt clunky. It's been years since I've played an 828 specifically, but Agile will be the better value.

Latest posts