Ibanez RG9 Prototype

• Thread starter InfinityCollision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stg

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
You kids done? Lets talk about some ridiculous guitars again.

Anyone else surprised at how awesome that top is? Ibanez isn't exactly known for going for the higher grade stuff, especially for prototypes. I guess if it's going to be a show piece primarily, they might as well make it look really pretty.

Plus that's a BIG piece of maple considering how large the body is on a 9-string! :eek: Gorgeous quilt, can't wait to drool over it in person tomorrow! :D

ixlramp

Reaction score
Fanned frets aren't essential for 9 strings. It seems to be a preference with many or most of the guitarists here, and that's fine and cool, but ... for many years there have been non-fanned 9, 10, 11 and 12 string basses and the owners are very happy with them. Garry Goodman has a non-fanned 29" scale 12 with a gauge .286 on the bottom. I guess it's down to if you're comfortable with the extreme change in tone across the strings, ERBers seem to be more comfortable with this.

Anyway i would love an RG9 for tuning in neutral thirds and other weird microtonal open tunings. Another possibility would be open tunings with smaller intervals between the high strings, for interesting dense chords.

This is the most gorgeous Ibanez guitar i have ever seen.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Plus that's a BIG piece of maple considering how large the body is on a 9-string! :eek: Gorgeous quilt, can't wait to drool over it in person tomorrow! :D

If I remember correctly all the other RGs(6,7,8s) have the same size body. This one almost certainly has to be bigger otherwise those pickups would look even more preposterous assuming they are the 5.0s

Edit: just measured and a 5 inch pickup would leave ~1.875 inches of body from one side of the neck pickup to the contour where your leg would go while sitting.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
It's labeled "RG9 Prototype" so I think this is something they're working on for production.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's labeled "RG9 Prototype" so I think this is something they're working on for production.

The original RG8s were listed similarly if I remember correctly. Though, besides string count, there wound up being next to nothing in common between the Protos and the later RG2228.

While they might be working on this, it's worth note that it did take a few years to get the RG2228 to market after the two originals were made. That included bouncing between multiple artists.

While I'd like to think more will come of this, I have a feeling they just made an exhibition guitar more than anything else.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Absolutely no use to me but that is one goddamn sexy looking Ibanez....... like...... mmmm...... yeah .....

Given To Fly

Reaction score
With the right string gauge and set up a low C# would work. It also fits the normal tuning scheme of the guitar. I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't' be able to get a high A on a scale length that long.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice lookin' guitar!
A low C# on a 27" scale, no fan?:scratch: Clarification needed on that.
While I do get a very bad case of arthrotendocubitalcarpalitis looking at this guitar I'd be totally into watching T Mac justify its existence.:agreed:

Dopey Trout

Silly Fishy
Reaction score
EDIT: just re-read, and I think I misunderstood what you meant.
I guess you meant that T-Mac did not really use the 8 that much, I got it. Sorry, my bad. Disregard what I said above.

What I don't know can't hurt me ;)

I think you picked up on it but just for the sake of clarity, the only 8 string stuff I heard of his was Seven the Hardway, which is far from taking full advantage of the instrument, the move to a 9 seems redundant

Overtone

Reaction score
I really dig the top. Wonder if Meshuggah and Tosin feel one upped :lol: (I doubt it though)

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
What is it about Ibanez and natural tops being, off? There always seem to be something amiss with their non-burst edge or unbinded(sic) tops. Like it's incomplete or something.

TristanTTN

Reaction score
Per Nilsson!

From their Facebook page:
"Who would like to hear a 9-string song on the next Scar Symmetry album? Or would it be taking things too far? Give me your 50 cents!"

M7JOOb3.jpg

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Well, here the thing.... This was apparently built for Macalpine right? That dude rocks some crazy light strings. He's not a high tension player at all. I saw his rig rundown in the back of Guitar World and he uses something like a 50 for his low B! He's not the type that would want a 30 inch monster scale guitar.
Oh, and Seven the Hard Way was absolutely horrible.