Ibanez RG9 Prototype

• Thread starter InfinityCollision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
You know... taking a day to think things over, I'm actually really excited about this.

Ibanez used to be REALLY innovative (releasing the original Universe as far back as they did, being the first mainstream company to jump on the 8-string,etc). For them to work on a 9-string guitar (even if it's just a one off) when the ERG community hasn't warmed up to the idea of anything over 8-strings yet is pretty forward thinking.

:agreed:

I am just hoping Tony really gets behind this or Per even!

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
if I get one of these, would I be able to ethrealeternity properly?

(EE's name autocorrects to "hetrosexuality". :lol:)

Jormal1ty

Reaction score
I like how the standard black rg which tony is holding in the picture makes it even more sexy :agreed:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^Ecaxtly what I was thinking.

If I could be bothered I'd measure something we know the length of and scale it (like the 5" lace bars), shame I can't really.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
If I could be bothered I'd measure something we know the length of and scale it (like the 5" lace bars), shame I can't really.

By this method I'm getting approximately 30".

A friend of mine is there and says he will ask the Ibanez guys what scale it is. He thinks it's at least 28".

ra1der2

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a 30" if not real close to it.

It would have been 1000x sicker if they slapped a kahler on there, and then they could have had a locking nut on it as well.

Still... props for getting ahead of teh curve so to speak in regards to 9's

Santuzzo

Reaction score
One thing is for sure: we definitely can't say Ibanez did not surprise us this year with all the new models (new 7s, 8s and now even this 9 string).:yesway:

celticelk

Reaction score
Hopefully they'll size the pickups properly for a production version - the 4.5 DeathBar would have been perfectly adequate to sense all 9 strings.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I finally figured out how I could use a 9 string. I normally tune my 7 string up to C, so following that logic, having a low D/G would let me play my regular songs, plus have the ability to bust out some DFA1979 without switching instruments.

I still think that 9 is a ridiculous number of strings, but I can see it opening up a few possibilities.

Whammy

Reaction score
Isn't this whole thing turning into the same thing as the Gillette razor blade count.

They start with 2 blades, then 3, then 4 and now surprise surprise 5 blades.

Is a 9-string guitar from Ibanez really that much of a surprise?
And let me guess, when this guitar becomes a production run I wonder how many strings will be on their next extended range guitar...
...hmmm, I'm going to guess 10!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against extended range guitars and I love seeing an extended range guitar being use to it's full extent.

What I hate seeing is an extended range guitar being used by someone who actually only plays a few of the strings.

Jim Antonio

Playa from Manila
Reaction score
Aside from seeing a pic of Tony MacAlpine behind it, I don't think this is a signature model for him. He's holding an 8 string on the pic and there's no indicator on the sign that it's for him. Has there been any confirmation though that Ibby made it for him? It's one massive beast, that's for sure... :shred: