Ibanez S series discussion

• Thread starter Bownze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bownze

Keeping it weird
Reaction score
Long story short: I went to GC today not even to look at guitars and wound up getting all googly-eyed by an Ibanez S521. It had the Ocean Fade finish which I didn't care for too much, but the features were decent and the playability was out of this world. The pups didn't sound half bad either through a Blackstar combo. I own an RG 450 with a Floyd which I do keep in rotation, but that guitar is about the extent of my Ibby knowledge other than the JEM. Years ago I saw a guitar in a music store that was probably some S series variant, because I remember being struck by the trim body... and it was really $$$. Now today, several years later when I can paly a lil' better, and have some holiday cash to liquidate, I'm looking for opinions on this line of ax'es, good or bad. I have done a smidgen of online looking and I see an SA series on ebay, but this series is not on Ibbys website as current production. The SA's I saw were HSS but looked like the S521 body. To get to the point, I like the body and neck of the 521 I played at GC. Are there other finishes and features that can be configured of that model from previous production, or is that guitar "as is"? And what's up with the SA guitars on ebay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MattV

Reaction score
There are lots of different S series models, all with the same body type: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:S_series I love them, and there's an S appreciation thread on this forum with heaps of nice ones :)

The SA series on the other hand is quite different - the back is flat, so it doesn't feel thin like an S series, and the top isn't the same either. They're mostly seen in HSS form with traditional floating bridges: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:SA_series Aside from occasional Talman models, they seem like Ibanez's attempt to appeal to the Strat market, more than anything else...

Bownze

Keeping it weird
Reaction score
Dude, you're an oracle. The links were EXACTLY the info I was looking for. Ruled out SA; the S body is the affliction. I'll still take opinions on the S series guitars, however.

Reaction score
I own one since 1996, an S540 model (1993 built). It was my first Ibanez and responsible for me stucking with the brand. Super comfortable to play. I only wish my other guitars were sabers, but are RGs due to specs available at purchase time...

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I love S series, I really want one. The only thing that holds me back from getting one from the golden era is the 22 frets...

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
The S is by far the more comfortable guitar and the better body shape.
The only reason why the Rg is more popular is because guitar players as a whole are pretty much idiots.

fight me.

I love S series, I really want one. The only thing that holds me back from getting one from the golden era is the 22 frets...

Ya man. I was just playing my s1220 a bit today. So good. But those missing 2 frets. And the new ones are just not as good looking.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
The S is by far the more comfortable guitar and the better body shape.
The only reason why the Rg is more popular is because guitar players as a whole are pretty much idiots.

fight me.

Ya man. I was just playing my s1220 a bit today. So good. But those missing 2 frets. And the new ones are just not as good looking.

i'll fight ya, ya asshole :guns::guns::guns::p:p:D:D

I found a Purple neon 540S some time ago, and it played AMAZINGLY. Those 2 missing frets though :(

Mwoit

Reaction score
tumblr_nlnzp4gy4w1tsmstco4_1280.jpg

I'm always torn in 2 about keeping this 1992 Ibanez S but I brought it back from Japan on a trip and it plays extremely well. It needs new pickups (I hate the DiMarzio Crunch Lab / Liquifire in it) and it needs a fret dress however.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Mahogany Sabres have the highest resonance, unplugged volume and sustain of any guitar other than a 12 pound 1980's Les Paul. They sound and feel a million times better than any RG. Fight Me! :frantic::lalala:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
it will never exist.

I'm sure someone like @pondman has built something like this before, you know, someone who builds seven guitars a day that most people on the forums would sell a kidney for, yet also someone who never sells his or her own guitars.

---------------------------

The idea of thin guitars rings out true with me. I love the S series. I honestly have come close enough to owning one that my wallet was out, ready to fork over money, but something has always come up. Nowadays, I've become ridiculously picky...so it'll never happen; however, if I was magically given an Ibanez endorsement with access to the LACS, I would definitely start with an S body, then see what they could do for a low profile trem with piezos and extra strings and frets and all of the weirdness I've grown to rely upon.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I'm sure someone like @pondman has built something like this before, you know, someone who builds seven guitars a day that most people on the forums would sell a kidney for, yet also someone who never sells his or her own guitars.

---------------------------

The idea of thin guitars rings out true with me. I love the S series. I honestly have come close enough to owning one that my wallet was out, ready to fork over money, but something has always come up. Nowadays, I've become ridiculously picky...so it'll never happen; however, if I was magically given an Ibanez endorsement with access to the LACS, I would definitely start with an S body, then see what they could do for a low profile trem with piezos and extra strings and frets and all of the weirdness I've grown to rely upon.

sigh...they keep saying the s's don't sell as well...but then they keep piling all their coolest shit on the RG.
No SD. no neckthrough S's.

If i had a few thousand extra bucks I'd buy every X series S i could get my hands on tho.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just leave the absolute thinnest necks on the RG series. I know it’s ibanez but can I see a higher end one without a neck that cramps my hand?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
The previous version of the one you were playing in GC was the 2013 model year S 421, and used to be equipped with the high shoulder Gibraltar Standard I bridge. I'd imagine the new Hipshot Gibraltar replacement or a Gibraltar Standard II would drop right in and you'd have a KILLER hard tail setup for about 300-400

The S 421 came in Blackberry Sunburst or Flat Black

Starting in 2014 they changed it to the S 521 and replaced the Gibraltar type bridge with a plain fender style hardtail, which couldn't be too hard to upgrade with a Gotoh or something
You have a little more choice of colors in

Blackberry Sunburst (BBS) / Light Violin Sunburst (LVS) 2014–2016 / Mahogany Oil (MOL) 2015 / Ocean Fade Metallic (OFM) 2017

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I've got a 2006 S7421 that's always treated me well. I find the neck to be pretty uncomfortable compared to jacksons, but its a good guitar for a good price.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I played one for a bit and loved the ZR tremolo so much that I bought one and installed it on my modded RG560.

I'm still on the hunt for a blue/purple S series with a ZR tremolo.