Ibanez truss rods

• Thread starter Jarmake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been wondering about the truss rods that ibanez uses. I know they have used single action truss rods before, but don't newer guitars have dual actions? If they do, when did ibanez start using them?

I have a '97 rg7620 neck, which has a single action rod (the nut can be screwed off), but I thought the newer ones would be dual action... But when I started adjusting my rga121h (which is '07) it has the same single action rod. My guitar needs a bit more relief, but the rod has been maxed out already and I don't want to start messing with the neck. Damn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Just checking: do you want the neck straighter or with more relief?

If you want the neck straighter, just take off the nut, put some washers under it, and tighten it up. The nut will start engaging the rod sooner that way and should give you some more range.

If you want more relief and the nut is completely slack, not much to do other than remove the frets, use a jig to force the neck into the relief you want with the rod adjusted in the middle-ish of its range, replane the fretboard, refret, and then you should be ok. Not a cheap or easy fix. (Or use a larger string gauge and hope for the best).

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Yeah... More relief is what the guitar would need. I actually already put on some larger strings and it did help a little. The amount of relief that this guitar needs isn't very big, but the slight fretbuzz annoys me :)

And the original question still stands... Does ibanez use dual action rods these days? It would seem like a good idea on any modern guitar.

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I'm not sure when/if they started using dual action rods, but I'm glad the '97 is ok. My offer still stands to buy it back if you ever decide to sell it still though. : ) Not sure what you could do for more relief with it. Is the neck shimmed at all? maybe if it is you can take out a shim to lower it in the pocket causing more tension to the nut.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
There is no shim on the neck... Oh well. I'll just have to live with slight buzz, until I get bored of it and hand this guitar to a luthier. These days I don't seem to have the time to do any woodworking or tinkering with guitars.

I'm still not going to sell the '97, since it was a 30th bday gift from my lovely wife. So, thanks for the offer again, but no thanks :)

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
There is no shim on the neck... Oh well. I'll just have to live with slight buzz, until I get bored of it and hand this guitar to a luthier. These days I don't seem to have the time to do any woodworking or tinkering with guitars.

I'm still not going to sell the '97, since it was a 30th bday gift from my lovely wife. So, thanks for the offer again, but no thanks :)
I know, I had to try! :lol:

cardinal

Reaction score
Yeah... More relief is what the guitar would need. I actually already put on some larger strings and it did help a little. The amount of relief that this guitar needs isn't very big, but the slight fretbuzz annoys me :)

And the original question still stands... Does ibanez use dual action rods these days? It would seem like a good idea on any modern guitar.

I have a RG852M with a single-action rod, which shocked me. I assumed all modern Ibanez guitars used dual action rods, so I really have no idea what rods Ibanez uses.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Necro resuscitation. My '96 has a nut that is slightly rounded but still has grip (came to me like this). Happy to read I may be in luck with a single action rod. Does anyone happen to know the size of the nut for a MIK RG470 and where I might source the one I need? I'd love to have one waiting to screw on once I back the old one off. 5/32" seems to grab it better than 4mm, but it's a risky operation whenever I make an adjustment. Maybe one of these? https://warmoth.com/trn1

cardinal

Reaction score
Necro resuscitation. My '96 has a nut that is slightly rounded but still has grip (came to me like this). Happy to read I may be in luck with a single action rod. Does anyone happen to know the size of the nut for a MIK RG470 and where I might source the one I need? I'd love to have one waiting to screw on once I back the old one off. 5/32" seems to grab it better than 4mm, but it's a risky operation whenever I make an adjustment. Maybe one of these? https://warmoth.com/trn1
Email Rich at Ibanez Rules. He's as likely to know as anyone.