Iceman 7 Build - It's coming together!

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Hello dear SS.org!

Perhaps a few of you has seen it around here, but the parts i ordered are coming alot nicely, and soon i'm starting my build. Although i'm in the middle of my Exams, i will try to keep you guys posted as much as possible!

Plans
So basically i'm going to build a Iceman 7. Seems like alot of GAS for them is swarming around the forums here, so i thought posting my build coming along here would serve you well.

So, my photoshop mockup looked like this. Let's see how close i can come with actually building it. :lol:

icemanpresentatiecopyn.jpg

Neck
Hipshot openback tuners.
5 Piece Wenge-Purpleheart neck, aiming for a Wizzard profile.
Aluminium Trussrod cover, held down by magnets. :yesway:
13 degree headstockangle, probaly with a volute.
24 Frets, 12'' radius.
25.5'' Scale.
Ebony board.

Body
Ash wings.
Wood or alloy cover, not yet decided. Also sealed with magnets :yesway:
Singlestring bridges from ABM-Mueller. ( 3210b )
Dimarzio Evolution in bridge, Dimarzio Blaze in the neck. With pickup rings!
One Volume, 3 way switch.
Schaller straplocks. :bowdown:
Black stained finish, with gloss top

Should i go with a veneer on the headstock?

Imagine;
This:
ICT700008.jpg

With this!
ict707003.jpg

These devils will help me archieving my goal aswell;
ict707002.jpg

Ebony fretboard, however 22 slots, LMI's mistake, they're sending me a new board for free, yahoo :bowdown:

ict707001.jpg

So basically this is gonna be it! Next week i'm going to get my wood :)lol:) I'm looking forward to cut the baby up and shred it apart again!

Mazzakazza

Reaction score
Nice - you didn't consider a baritone scale at all?

Also, Iceman models are quite notorious for being neck heavy - you combatting that at all in your design by adding more bulk to the body or anything?

I like the stringers - neck-thru construction? Wenge/purpleheart?

Looks a fine-ass mockup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Nice - you didn't consider a baritone scale at all?

Also, Iceman models are quite notorious for being neck heavy - you combatting that at all in your design by adding more bulk to the body or anything?

I like the stringers - neck-thru construction? Wenge/purpleheart?

Looks a fine-ass mockup.

As a matter of fact, i did concider a 26.5" scale, but i prefer to stick to my primary scale with is 25.5''

My iceman 6 ( the white one ) was neck heavy, untill i bought a wide leather strap with so much friction, it sticks with the neck up.
I think my 7 will be heavier due the Ash, so i do not think i'll encounter problems there. Also the fact that the body is around 200mm longer than a normal Superstrat, it compensates a whole lot. Also a reason why not take a longer scale, it will well surpass the 1.10 meters :lol:

It will be neckthrough yes, forgot to mention :lol: THe combination is Wenge/Purpleheart/wenge/purpleheart/wenge.

And thanks, regarding the shoop. It helped to allow me to do my next study, wich i will learn to design stuff for mass-production, like Ikea stuff for example. Anyway! drifting off!

Thanks for the good lucks by the way :metal:

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
I've drawn a iceman in autocad, put it in photoshop, and well, just collect images from Google and, just resizing and changing lightning untill it works with the rest.
About the wood? Same story, just get a nice grainy image from google, resize it untill it looks in scale and just fill in the outlines.

I could help you around if you want to, just to give you a idea. Just ask.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I tell you what, that thing has some mighty fine specs on it so far (though I personally wouldn't use Dimarzios).

Only thing I will say, maybe you could straighten the tuners along teh headstick more? Lengthen in like? Would reduce string friction. Not a big thing was just saying.

And I don't think you should use a headstock veneer. Let that purpleheart show :D

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeez... for a second there, i thought the reflections of your blinds were the ash grain! It looks awesome! :)

Cool project. I like the Iceman shape, but that lower horn has always bothered me for some reason.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
I tell you what, that thing has some mighty fine specs on it so far (though I personally wouldn't use Dimarzios).

Only thing I will say, maybe you could straighten the tuners along teh headstick more? Lengthen in like? Would reduce string friction. Not a big thing was just saying.

And I don't think you should use a headstock veneer. Let that purpleheart show :D

Thanks man :metal:

I don't think the headstock looks nice with the strings straight out of the nut, it looks too forced to a point to me. I like it how it is. Not much of a problem, concidering Gibsons, Deans & Schechters for example have their strings lined out the exact same way. Also the angle of the strings is the same on all of them, so it will look rather nice too.

Yeah, i'll probaly leave the veneer out, it shows nicely with the center of the body.

Jeez... for a second there, i thought the reflections of your blinds were the ash grain! It looks awesome! :)

Cool project. I like the Iceman shape, but that lower horn has always bothered me for some reason.

Hehe, the grain won't be the same ofcource, but i'm hoping for the kind of grain / finish the meshuggah iceman 8's have, it looks coooooool :idea:
The lower horn is abit in the way when playing 22+ frets, but i'll lenghten the whole neck abit, so the neck carve will start at around the 18th/19th fret instead of the 15th wich is on my current iceman 6'er. It's necktrough (necktr00?) and therefore it will remain rather stable and it doensn't matter that much of where the heel will be.

Thanks for the cool replies so far! :hbang:

SupaCoolMan2005

BringBackTheHeadbang
Reaction score
this is going to be one badass looking guitar..i mean iceman + 7 strings.whats not to like.:lol: but good luck man i cant wait to see it done!!!

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
Good luck with the project :yesway:
tip- if you want the purple to stay purple, I suggest clearcoating it. (even though I hate gloss/clear coat, sticky as fuck for me)