Iceman 7 Build - It's coming together!

Andrew_B

Reaction score
lol will be a good year or two before i get to that stage....:yesway:
my latest
DSC02593a-1.jpg

(sorry for hijacking this thread lol... i seem to be good at that)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
lol,
when you gonna get more progress done?

i really wanna know how those bridges go :D

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
It's too late to take pictures over here, but i've got one of the finest pieces of ash i could find. The grain is incredible, and i've got enough for 2 guitars. Also i've picked up purpleheart and a great piece of Wenge, it's all looking great, my hands are itching :lol:

Promised pictures will be up by tomorrow, i wanted to let you know i'm a happy person now. Unbelivable how much a simple piece of wood can statisfy a guy so much. :lol:

Andrew_B

Reaction score
i hate how you americans can get all the cool woods so easy....

i looked for purple heart and wenge and anything cool in australia and got nowhere... lol

PICS

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Dude, i live in europe!
he Netherlands are superb, they've got one of the biggerst Lumberyards in that part of europe. Guess i'm lucky!

Oh and Andrew, i sent you a pm for a guy that could supply you with wood in AUS.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
=O
hahaha! whoops.... i assumed you were an american -_-
i shall read peoples locations before i speak from now on.... lol

ahh yea, i know ormsby....
hes on the other side of the country though, postage would be the same price as the wood lol....
he has a site and sels parts and stuff though.... prices are pretty high though

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
First of all, my clamps are bigger than yours! :lol:

bouw032.jpg

bouw024.jpg

bouw023.jpg

bouw025.jpg

Slight imperfection, but it's only 2 mm deep

bouw029.jpg

bouw030.jpg

bouw031.jpg

Next step is shaving, planing and cutting the woods to pieces so i can glue 'em :hbang::hbang:

Cypher

Reaction score
Dude, i live in europe!
he Netherlands are superb, they've got one of the biggerst Lumberyards in that part of europe. Guess i'm lucky!

Oh and Andrew, i sent you a pm for a guy that could supply you with wood in AUS.

Cool! U from Rotterdam. I actually live in Delft. Always nice to see a fellow dutchman here.

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
Cool! U from Rotterdam. I actually live in Delft. Always nice to see a fellow dutchman here.

Hehe, zeker weten! :hbang:

Anyway, i've printed the templates out, next week all my blanks will be shaved and cut up to useable sizes!

Little question for SS;

Where can i find pre-slotted nuts?
Unslotted is fine too, but the slotted ones makes up for alot of hassle. I prefer graptech or any other dark colour.
White bone doesn't match too well with a dark guitar :lol:

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
I'm filling my own thread :lol:

However, i've picked up this last saturday. The site wasn't up the weekend wich explains my delay :lol:

bouw034.jpg

bouw035.jpg

35 Degree bevel file, for 15€ i think it was a nice deal, otherwise i had to make it myself blabla, instead i just got this. And, wow! It's a mahogany block! :lol:

bouw036.jpg

bouw037.jpg

I've decided i'm going with a 16" instead of a 12". Just because i think 16" feels better. my fb is pre-radiused, however the difference is just less than a millimeter ( 0,04 Inch :spock: )
Also 15€, and i think it will help me alot, and maybe for future builds. its 250 mm long, Huge, in my opinion, but it works very well.

Little question about some things,
The nuts ( see above post )
And what should be the order i'll sanding my fb in?
What grit?
I was thinking about a 2k grit finish, but what's in between, i've no idea.
Mind you, the board is rather rough at the moment, so starting around 200 or something?
Help appreciated, as well as support :shred:

Andrew_B

Reaction score
pre slotted nuts.... stew mac.... lmi..... your local music store may have a couple.....

the fingerboard sanding process is up to you.... 200 400 800 1000 1200 buff, or just 800 1200 buff....
i think sanding is more of a personal thing.... (touchy feely lol)

theres also different types of sandpaper.... remember that lol

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Just dont use 15000 grit micro mesh :D

You dont need that fret bevel file, it actually cuts more of an angle then necessary.... Just use your eyes and stay straight...

For the nut, man I think that if you are going true the building process, I think that its fair enough that you build your own nut no? :ugh:

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score

You dont need that fret bevel file, it actually cuts more of an angle then necessary.... Just use your eyes and stay straight...

For the nut, man I think that if you are going true the building process, I think that its fair enough that you build your own nut no? :ugh:

Yeah, that was the plan, however ive got no idea where to get such material :scratch: And for the bevels, i'm better safe than sorry. I don't have enough experience to do it with a pair of eyes. Atleast i think so!

cvinos said:
:eek: :bowdown: Respect dude awesome project, and nice cake.

Thanks! :shred:

Andrew_B

Reaction score
And for the bevels, i'm better safe than sorry. I don't have enough experience to do it with a pair of eyes. Atleast i think so

as Patrick said, it will put too much of a bevel on the fret edges which has the ability to cause your E's to slip off the fingerboard

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score

:agreed: I used to use the angled fret file like that, but now I just use my own judgement.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Coming together nicely.

Although im jealous of the fact you know what you're doing. I'm still fannying about trying to decide what type of custom neck i want on my iceman 7.

:(

Jeroenofzo

Reaction score
:agreed: I used to use the angled fret file like that, but now I just use my own judgement.

Ah well, maybe i'll just rough file the edges, and finish them with my own set of eyes. Ill see..

Coming together nicely.

Although im jealous of the fact you know what you're doing. I'm still fannying about trying to decide what type of custom neck i want on my iceman 7.

Thanks, and well, go with the reversed in-line as it was suggested in your thread. If it was up to me atleast. You'll make it look like a regular iceman with a low B :bowdown: