If you didn't play guitar what instrument do you wish you could play?

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
The Erhu - such a beautiful sounding instrument to listen to. Although I am only 33, I suppose I could buy one and learn.

I'm Inuit, my people are descendants of the Paleo-Eskimos that crossed the Bering Strait from Mongolia to Alaska and Northern Canada 5,500 years ago. I've always had a soft spot for the Erhu instrument. This song is so beautiful that it makes me cry a bit listening to it.

neurosis

Reaction score
I find it silly that my sister started playing drums once I had moved out of the house. I've always been tempted to pick up an e-kit and give it a try since then but work is a lot so... it's on the maybe someday list.
Saxophone is another instrument that is really cool. I admired the vibe from the kids playing it for the big band in school.

neurosis

Reaction score
Then on rainy days you can do this:

Moog have a model D app for iPad that is surprisingly great. Give it a try.
This is a hobby I'm desperately trying not to fall into, twisting knobs and making weird sounds with a good reverb or delay is right up my alley, but I don't need to acquire more stuff 😮‍💨

There are so many cool synths. Even a lot of small ones are powerful. Many desktop units that can interface with keyboards and your computer in different ways so if you really want one there are really cool options. Also, if you already have pedals you can use them with it. Using a regular mixer you can go really far in terms of patching and experimenting without committing to a modular system.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Drums. When I was in bands in/shortly after high school, my parents' house had the biggest basement and was the furthest away neighbors, so we always had band practice at my house. The drummer would often leave his kit there for the week (we practiced on weekends), so I got to putz around all week with it. It was so much fun! I've never lived anywhere since moving out where I could have a drum kit. Electronic drum sets don't interest me the same way.

And actually, before buying a guitar in '08 that finally felt "right" for me, I was seriously thinking of just selling all of my gear and figuring out how to take up the drums. That guitar was a custom-ordered Carvin, and was meant to be my last/best chance at sticking with guitar...and it worked.

Last edited:

gnoll

Reaction score
For me it's a time/interest thing. I have a full time non music job and family stuff so when I have time I'm going to play guitar and bass and write/record.

I have considered drum lessons. I think that would help me focus on fundamentals that I could probably figure out on my own, but it might help the learning process.

Not a bad idea!

Learning something new can be hard, OR it can be not so hard. When we have good resources, learn in a good way and take it seriously then it can be surprisingly easy and quick to develop new skills.

Teachers can be good, but also online resources if we're good at finding the most relevant stuff.

gnoll

Reaction score
About synths... There are free software synths like Vital and lots of free sound design resources. No reason not to start.

For drums there's compact electronic kits, practice pads. Or just bang on pots and pans or pillows. A lot of it is actually about limb coordination, and not so much about how many Ludwig snare drums you own.

I get a bit frustrated and stressed when people talk about things they wish they were doing. Just do it already!! Now!!

gnoll

Reaction score
If you have time to post on sso then you have time to learn a new instrument!! Go!!!!

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. Guitar was always my first love, but drums was the first instrument I played seriously. After that I got really into bass, and I still consider myself mainly a bass player to this day, even though I mainly play guitar today :lol:
So those 3 are my main instruments.

I can play a little very beginner-ish piano, and some times I wish I had put more practice hours into the piano. I really love huge piano pieces - be it classical, jazz, Mustis era Dimmu Borgir or just well written pop/rock ballads.

I have, however, often said, that if I was to learn another instrument it would probably be cello, because that instrument and sound just has an unexplainable direct connection with my soul.

TL;DR - I chose cello ;)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Drums, for sure. These days I have my bands' collectively bought e-kit right behind me, but I just don't get many chances to play it. I'm not terrible at it, and I guess with some practice I could be pretty good.

Also I wish I had gotten into piano/keyboards as a kid, since it's such a versatile instrument. I have keyboards available to play anytime I want (always did, we had a piano at home when I was a kid), but it's just such a pain in the ass to get into for whatever reason. I know what notes to play but my fingers just don't find them :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For "non-traditional" or obvious instruments, someone else said Koto which I think are rad, and I love the sound of those and Shamisens; I think a Dulcimer would be super cool to also know how to play, or something incredibly niche like the glass armonica.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The harp.
I dated a woman who played the harp for a few years. We had some really cool jams, and a lot of Joanna Newsom jokes. Also that one part in the Nirvana MTV unplugged recording where Kurt is like, "what are they tuning back there, a harp?" It was funny every single time she was tuning the harp.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to say drums and piano. The latter would be more difficult now as I lost the tip of my right middle finger 9 years ago, but I could probably still make drums happen if I really wanted to. My parents used to tell me that I was a drummer trapped in a guitarist's body.

Aside from that, I also wouldn't mind learning the mandolin.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Piano all day every day. For me it is the best solo instrument.

Inconsequential

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Drums! I also tried to learn it some years ago when we were desperately looking for a drummer but i havent' enough time to learn it correctly.

So I just learn basic metal patterns.
That helped me during the songwriting because i can write with the point of view of a drummer

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Classical piano.

This. You probably have better chances with ladies playing The Moonlight Sonata than playing your instrumental bedroom djent songs to them. :lol:

And like everyone else, I hope someday I have a place and money to get a drumkit. Have tried them a few times and they're so fun to play even if you have no clue what you're doing. :D

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
violin. and i dont mean high school orchestra violin. i mean like juliard or curtis, cleveland institute or moscow conservatory level violin.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Drums. Wait....I already play those! And bass of course. I consider drums my 2nd favorite instrument to play. I enjoy bass, but it feels like a chore compared to drums.

What I'd really like is to be semi-advanced at piano/keys, but that would probably require lessons. I can find chords to back songs in the studio, but that's about it. But I can definitely make keys work for songs; it's instinctive. Just can't tell you anything about the theory.