I'm buying new pickups - need some advice

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy some pickups for 2 of my guitars and I have a couple of questions.
The guitars are a PRS SE Tremonti Custom and Ibanez SZ520. Both are maple top mahogany body. I don't know which wood goes with which pickup so I'm looking for advice there too.
I play metal / alt rock stuff with cleans and ambient stuff. But also I don't want something that only works with high gain sounds. I have another Ibanez with a basswood body and EMG 81-85 and while it sounds super aggressive with high gain, that's the only thing it can do. Any other sound sounds awful, and I don't want that either.

Currently the Tremonti has JB+Jazz pickups and I just think they sound a bit basic, I don't know how to describe it. It's okay, but it doesn't have a lot of character.
The SZ has the factory Duncan Designed pickups which are based off a SD Distortion and 59 I think, but I think they sound weak. Many other online seem to agree about these pickups. I don't know how well they represent the real SD counterparts.

Another thing is, the Tremonti needs F spaced pickups if I want the polepieces to match the strings on the bridge. Is that important? If so, that limits my options.

I'd like to buy 2 different sets, in case I get tired and I can switch them around etc. Have different sound options, all that.

I have the following options. I'm looking at stores near me that I can personally visit. I wouldn't want to have to order from another country and my budget is around 250€ per set. So no Bare Knuckles or other fancy stuff like that.

-SD Distortion
-SD Full Shred
-SD Slash set (this one calls my attention because it's really different from anything I've tried)
-SD Black Winters (people say they're versatile)
-Dimarzio Evolution set (these have F spaced bridge)
-SD Duality (I'd have to change the pots for actives and idk if I can fit the battery in the guitar)
-Fishman Fluence Modern (same, they're actives and idk if I need anything else special for the install)
-David Allen Hellcats
-SD Blackouts (I like these in my 8 string, but that guitar is basswood)

Also some Fender and Gibson pickups are available...
Basically the Tremonti is a really physically fat and dark sounding guitar, have to keep that in mind. The SZ is a bit lighter...

is it too late for me to reccommend the Fishman Adlers to you? My guitars are similar composition (mahogany body, maple neck, maple top... PRS and Ibanez RGA) to yours and they really came alive when i put the Fishman Adlers in. I replaced the Fishman Moderns that I had in there first, and man oh man do these things rip now. Couldnt recommend the Adlers any stronger

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy some pickups for 2 of my guitars and I have a couple of questions.
The guitars are a PRS SE Tremonti Custom and Ibanez SZ520. Both are maple top mahogany body. I don't know which wood goes with which pickup so I'm looking for advice there too.
I play metal / alt rock stuff with cleans and ambient stuff. But also I don't want something that only works with high gain sounds. I have another Ibanez with a basswood body and EMG 81-85 and while it sounds super aggressive with high gain, that's the only thing it can do. Any other sound sounds awful, and I don't want that either.

Currently the Tremonti has JB+Jazz pickups and I just think they sound a bit basic, I don't know how to describe it. It's okay, but it doesn't have a lot of character.
The SZ has the factory Duncan Designed pickups which are based off a SD Distortion and 59 I think, but I think they sound weak. Many other online seem to agree about these pickups. I don't know how well they represent the real SD counterparts.

Another thing is, the Tremonti needs F spaced pickups if I want the polepieces to match the strings on the bridge. Is that important? If so, that limits my options.

I'd like to buy 2 different sets, in case I get tired and I can switch them around etc. Have different sound options, all that.

I have the following options. I'm looking at stores near me that I can personally visit. I wouldn't want to have to order from another country and my budget is around 250€ per set. So no Bare Knuckles or other fancy stuff like that.

-SD Distortion
-SD Full Shred
-SD Slash set (this one calls my attention because it's really different from anything I've tried)
-SD Black Winters (people say they're versatile)
-Dimarzio Evolution set (these have F spaced bridge)
-SD Duality (I'd have to change the pots for actives and idk if I can fit the battery in the guitar)
-Fishman Fluence Modern (same, they're actives and idk if I need anything else special for the install)
-David Allen Hellcats
-SD Blackouts (I like these in my 8 string, but that guitar is basswood)

Also some Fender and Gibson pickups are available...
Basically the Tremonti is a really physically fat and dark sounding guitar, have to keep that in mind. The SZ is a bit lighter...

I should add what theyve done well for me so far. my Holcomb is always in Drop D or Drop Db so the music I use them most with:

Tool
Creed
Alter Bridge
Disturbed
3 Days Grace
Lamb Of God
Papa Roach
Breaking Benjamin
3 Doors Down
Flyleaf
Hoobastank
Linkin Park
Shinedown
Red
System of A Down
Seether

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
is it too late for me to reccommend the Fishman Adlers to you? My guitars are similar composition (mahogany body, maple neck, maple top... PRS and Ibanez RGA) to yours and they really came alive when i put the Fishman Adlers in. I replaced the Fishman Moderns that I had in there first, and man oh man do these things rip now. Couldnt recommend the Adlers any stronger
But they're so expensive and I'd have to rewire the whole thing 😖😖😖

Thanks for the recommendation anyway, I'll think about it.

I didn't like the EMG 85+81, but the guitar they're in is cheap and has a honky midrange sound by default, it's perfect for metal but everything else sucks. So I don't know if that's the pickup's fault. I like the Blackouts in my 8 string, I think they're more versatile and natural sounding than the EMGs. Yet still very aggressive. They sound quite different to my guitars with passive pickups, but see, again I don't know if that's the pickups or just the guitar's natural sound.

There's quite a big difference, I could post 3 DI comparison clips if anyone's interested.

I've never tried Fishman pickups and I haven't seen any of the artists I like using them. But I've seen a lot of people taking them out and changing them for something else.
Why do you think I would like them? If you listen to your own DIs, how do they compare with EMG 85+81, 1st gen Blackouts, Jazz/JB, or 59/Distortion. It kind of doesn't help that they seem to put them in pure metal oriented guitars...

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
But they're so expensive and I'd have to rewire the whole thing 😖😖😖

Thanks for the recommendation anyway, I'll think about it.

I didn't like the EMG 85+81, but the guitar they're in is cheap and has a honky midrange sound by default, it's perfect for metal but everything else sucks. So I don't know if that's the pickup's fault. I like the Blackouts in my 8 string, I think they're more versatile and natural sounding than the EMGs. Yet still very aggressive. They sound quite different to my guitars with passive pickups, but see, again I don't know if that's the pickups or just the guitar's natural sound.

There's quite a big difference, I could post 3 DI comparison clips if anyone's interested.

I've never tried Fishman pickups and I haven't seen any of the artists I like using them. But I've seen a lot of people taking them out and changing them for something else.
Why do you think I would like them? If you listen to your own DIs, how do they compare with EMG 85+81, 1st gen Blackouts, Jazz/JB, or 59/Distortion. It kind of doesn't help that they seem to put them in pure metal oriented guitars...

what do you mean rewire the whole thing, i was under the impression you already had actives in your current axe? these are just unplug the old and plug in the new..... you can fiddle around with the alternate voicings for sure, but its not required ;)

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
what do you mean rewire the whole thing, i was under the impression you already had actives in your current axe? these are just unplug the old and plug in the new..... you can fiddle around with the alternate voicings for sure, but its not required ;)
No,
Jazz/JB in the PRS SE. Duncan Designed in the Ibanez SZ. Both passives, these are the guitars that are getting new pickups.

Then I have an Ibanez ART with EMG 81/85, that one's getting the Jazz/JB set when I get my new Dimarzio pickups. The EMGs are getting a time out, will sit around in a box until I have another guitar where I think they will do better. Then I have an 8 string Jackson SLATHX 3-8 which has SD Blackouts, which I don't dare replace, because God knows that 26.5 inch 8 string needs all the brightness that it can get. But I really like the sound of the Blackouts anyway.

Slide187

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay for SZ520 I think I'm gonna get D-Activator Bridge and Liquifire Neck.
I'm not really feeling SD's prices.

@gb66 I know you said about the Breeds, but it looks like they aren't making them anymore. You have to order them from Dimarzio Custom Shop. I'm in Spain so I won't order from the US. But Thomann still has a Breed Neck in stock. You think it might be worth it to get the Breed neck instead of the Liquifire?
Great choice. I have a liquifire-7 neck in one of my 7-strings and I really like it.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Phew 😮‍💨 good thing I checked. Turns out my hardtail (Gibraltar III) Ibanez SZ is also f-spaced! I thought only trem guitars were like this..

So I'll be able to switch these pickups around between the guitars if I get bored..pretty cool..

Last edited:

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
If the pickup itself is fine, I wouldn’t be concerned.
Dimarzio replied pretty fast, said the more or less same thing. I've also told Thomann just in case 😅

Tomorrow or when I get some proper sleep and get to installing them I'll just do some measurements with the multimeter. That's a good way to check pickup health right? If the resistance is what it's supposed to be then the pickup is ok, right?

tedtan

Reaction score
Dimarzio replied pretty fast, said the more or less same thing. I've also told Thomann just in case 😅

Tomorrow or when I get some proper sleep and get to installing them I'll just do some measurements with the multimeter. That's a good way to check pickup health right? If the resistance is what it's supposed to be then the pickup is ok, right?
Yeah, if the DC resistance is approximately correct, then it would indicate that the wiring is intact/unbroken. Just allow a bit of variance either way for manufacturing tolerance.

Slide187

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
those boxes are pretty brittle... but if it's just cracked, and it doesn't look like anything poked thru and hit the bobbin i'd bet it's ok too. just check em as mentioned and you'll know. But yes Dimarzio is very good about stuff like that.

sidenote: i also have a titan-neck in my other 7-string and i really like that one too! Both the Titan and Liquifire Neck match up very well with a D-Sonic-7 for me in the bridge.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score

Seymour Duncan JB (Alnico VIII) and '59 (Alnico IV) magnet swapped to sound better.

I mag-swapped a JB with AlNico VIII years ago. The mod took away the JB's notoriously harsh mid spike. It also softened the highs to make leads smoother. But it still has plenty of mids and low-end tightness where I can get away with death metal and thrash with no problem. The JB 8 is not quite as tight or 'djenty" as something like the Duncan Nazgul, but it is also a lot more versatile.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Really happy with the Titans in the PRS SE so far. Still waiting for the new potentiometers to arrive for the Ibanez SZ.

An off topic question: Can I measure active pickups with a multimeter as well? I have a bunch of old pickups laying around and I'm interested in seeing if they have de-magnetized or something. Some of them are OEM pickups though so I don't really know what they're supposed to measure from the factory. But still.

Wait, can I measure demagnetisation with a multimeter at all?

Ext789

Reaction score
Okay here we go, I think I might be able to explain a bit better what I'm really looking for.

So I'm using the Helix LT and amp sim plugins, I might also buy a tube amp combo for recording at home with a microphone. But I really look at the modeller & plugin stuff as it's own thing, like I'm dialing in a synthesizer.

My songs that I make usually are very melodic, have big chords, octaves and lead layers, layered cleans, solos. And sometimes I write heavy and fast stuff, but to me, it's more important that I can make beautiful layered music. If I can adapt that sound to the heavy music, good, if not, fuck it. Sounding beautiful and versatile is more important to me than just sounding heavy.

Out of all the guitars that I have the SE Tremonti with the JB and Jazz is the "sweetest" sounding guitar. But I want MORE from it. I think the JB is a bit scooped..
I want them big melodic chords to sound powerful.

Now I'm looking at stuff like Lollar, Tom Anderson, David Allen, curious about the Seth Lover set, wondering if it's worth it to spend a bit extra.

But so far I think I'm going to get either an SH-5 or an SH-6 bridge for the Tremonti. Not sure about the neck. Might try anything.

And for the Ibanez I don't know still, probably something in a similar vein but a different model, for variety.

Then the JB and Jazz will be going in a different 3rd guitar.
I see. The JB definitely has an upper mid freq spike that can be annoying for some people but it is not really scooped. I think the SH-5 you were considering would be a great choice. Less gain than the JB ( but plenty if you want to make it chunk) and it doesnt have that upper mid thing going on. It sounds darker and beefier. More lower mids. I personally prefer it to the JB.

gb66

Reaction score
Really happy with the Titans in the PRS SE so far. Still waiting for the new potentiometers to arrive for the Ibanez SZ.

An off topic question: Can I measure active pickups with a multimeter as well? I have a bunch of old pickups laying around and I'm interested in seeing if they have de-magnetized or something. Some of them are OEM pickups though so I don't really know what they're supposed to measure from the factory. But still.

Wait, can I measure demagnetisation with a multimeter at all?
Good to hear that. I'm waiting for your comments about upgrading the SZ 😊

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Good to hear that. I'm waiting for your comments about upgrading the SZ 😊
In the end I got Liquifire + D-Activator for the SZ. I would've got the Breeds if they were a set but just the neck pickup by itself didn't convince me when listening to the Thomann audio demos.

In general both guitars feel a lot better to play. The SZ especially since it had the factory pickups before this which weren't very good.

I'm happy with the upgrade because both sets are more modern voiced and I guess that fits my music better than the old sets which were a bit old school. Now they feel clearer and more responsive.
The guitars feel a bit brighter, which to me is something good. Before with the old pickups I'd try to brighten up the signal before a high gain amp for a more edgy metallic sound, and I don't need to do that anymore. It comes from the pickups naturally and in a more pleasant way.

I can't say much more than that for now since I haven't had them for that long and haven't used them very in-depth. When I record a song that uses a lot of different tones I'll get to know them a bit better. It's a shame for now that I haven't wired the pickups in a way that will allow me to experiment with parallel/series or coil split sounds, but my guitars have a 3 way toggle so I'd have to order a Freeman or Push Pull pots etc etc

I'm still curious about the Seth Lover set from SD to experiment but I don't play blues or old school rock n roll, maybe when I have another guitar that suits them and some money to spend...