I'm going to cut my nuts - need advice

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
If you finish at that angle the string will have a gap under it on the headstock side
True but not a big deal. As long as the fretboard side has no gap and that the string is supported for the majority of the way until it leaves for the string tuner, you will have enough to keep it in place and stable. One could even argue that a smooth transition will be one less place for the string to potentially bind. It's just another way of doing it. I was reading an article the other day that described it as the "horn bell cut": http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Welp, I have the nut files and all. The thing is I ordered 2 Gibson style precuts and 2 43mm precuts. But instead of the 43mm precuts they just sent me 2 TUSQ blanks. What am I supposed to do with this? 🤣🤣

electric

Reaction score
The Erlewine videos and maybe twoodfrd of YT. Don't rush it, you're only doing it once and a fraction of a milimiter too much can ruin it. Don't use the precut nuts, they've got only a few options and i personally don't like those either. Get a few cheap bone blanks from aliexpress or wherever and just use them as sacrificial material to practice on. The rough shaping is the easiest part, cutting and calculating the slot width can be quite complicated if you want to do it PERFECTLY. There are various formulas, and a lot of parameters to play with even within a very small space.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
The Erlewine videos and maybe twoodfrd of YT. Don't rush it, you're only doing it once and a fraction of a milimiter too much can ruin it. Don't use the precut nuts, they've got only a few options and i personally don't like those either. Get a few cheap bone blanks from aliexpress or wherever and just use them as sacrificial material to practice on. The rough shaping is the easiest part, cutting and calculating the slot width can be quite complicated if you want to do it PERFECTLY. There are various formulas, and a lot of parameters to play with even within a very small space.
That's what I fantasize about.. being able to make one from a blank. Because no precut fits the PRS SE perfectly. But afaik to cut one from a blank I need a belt sander for the shaping, a ruler tool for the spacing, some file or knife to make the slots, then the slot files which I already have. And then there's no chance that I'm going to get it right the first couple of times... It's all too much for now 🤪

adrianb

Reaction score
I'm going to get the Music Nomad files. This kinda sucks though. So if I want to do this properly I have to compromise with a string gauge for each guitar?

Say I file the nut for a .052 and I want to go back to using .046 or .042, that basically means that I can't go back without the chance of having problems? 😓

If I just buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose I don't have to worry about any of this anymore do I?

The stock nut on my Warmoth Partscaster needed a lot of work so i ordered a set of Uo-Chikyu files from Japan (the newer production ones, which suck). I had a 9-42 setup in mind, so i chose files that were 2-3 sizes bigger (11 gauge for the 9 slot, etc.) For a time i strung up with 8-38, worked fine, but now i'm back to 9-42 which is really my gauge.

Funny though the 1st and 2nd slots seem to be a little tight for the 9s, the strings sometimes ping when tuning up.

I went with the new production Uo-Chikyu files because the store that sold them has a very wide selection of gauges, so i was able to choose the ones i really wanted. Otherwise, they suck because they're now made of stainless steel and they blunt quickly.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I know the joke has been beaten to death (ahem), but I wish I had the balls (ahem ahem) to do the same. I would have to hire a professional to do it for me (insert animated gif of Gallagher and sledge-o-matic) (ahem ahem ahem).

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Given how many other fellow transfems I’ve seen on here I thought this was going to be a Very Different thread

electric

Reaction score
That's what I fantasize about.. being able to make one from a blank. Because no precut fits the PRS SE perfectly. But afaik to cut one from a blank I need a belt sander for the shaping, a ruler tool for the spacing, some file or knife to make the slots, then the slot files which I already have. And then there's no chance that I'm going to get it right the first couple of times... It's all too much for now 🤪

There's not that much to it, trust me. I've got rectangle shaped bone blanks from aliexpress bought very cheaply, just to practice on, but they're decent enough to put on a proper build (most bone is from china anyway from what i hear). I also use graphtec blanks, but they are more expensive and you don't want to use that as learning material. You don't need a belt sander and it can get messy with the dust, the shaping is slower but just as good with a manual file. The final radius can be achieved with a curved sanding radius block that matches your fretboard. You also don't need the stewmac ruler, there are some cases where it won't give you the greatest result. You can calculate that yourself, just do a bit of searching online. Get a ruler with half-milimiter increments, there are cheap ones from the hardware store that can do that. You do the initial marking with a sharp craft knife. After that, you can get the japanese fret files, or even use guitar strings glued to a wooden tongue depressor (aka popsicle stick). There's a lot you can do with cheap tools if you are a handy person, and stewmac is not the end-all be all in luthery supplies. Just do you reading for a week or two, remember you only cut once, but a good nut can serve you for decades.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a bag O’ blanks off of amazon. Like $10 or something shipped. It took two of them to learn and the third one was perfect. Could have actually used the second one for not a pain glitch on slot one. The trick that was mentioned on the radius block is golden. That’s why I was able to get it on the 3rd go and far superior to my second shot.

Watch the stewmac nut making video. Well, as well as every other one you find. But the stewmac training video that has Dan teaching a lady is a really good one and has some excellent tips in it. There’s another video about a making a blank into a nut for a strat like guitar (might actually be a strat. Lol).

They all use belt sanders. I’m disabled and if I used one I wouldn’t have hands. Lol. So I use manual files. And seriously, IT Does not take that long at all. And be careful. Underestimating your file is a Big. Mistake! Practice rounding on the test ones. And above all, have fun. It’s an enjoyable experience and you bond with your guitar in ways that are both fun and frustrating. Just like a good partner in life.

I’ve learned that stewmac regular files blunt really fast. Surprisingly easy to do. Was very disappointed with those. Actually spent twice as much as I should’ve. Couldn’t afford the diamond ones so I got the Music nomads a couple months later. Those are easy to use and have lasted 6 nuts worth. And still have enough bite for plenty more.

File in the direction of your tuners when going to the back of the nut. Think bridge to tuner when you file and go slow. Take measurements often. Every other stroke when you get to the final stages.

I didn’t bother with shaping files and such. A decent file set from your local harbor freight or lowes, etc. would be fine. I use(d) sandpaper to clean up the tool marks and make it shine.