Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
Musician's Friend. Tim from Nevermore had one in '99, I believe. Killer guitar.
I remember now, because the model name actually and "MF" in it, which was always confusing to me because I wasn't sure if it stood for Musician's Friend or Marty Friedman.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
It's basically a regular fixed bridge for the most part, nothing too complicated to figure out.

Grub closest to the roller is action, screw past that is intonation, and last grub is string spacing. Loosen to adjust the latter two, lock in place when set.

Kahlers are overly complicated, can be made shoddy, and need a bunch of regular maintenance to keep humming along, but the trade off is they're quite adjustable and pretty forgiving if you're not sure what to do.

They had the right idea, separating the action and intonation from the business end, as far as trems go, it's just a shame they sort of just stopped refining the design like 35 years ago.
I've always wanted to own one since I saw the 98 BCR KKV with it. I got to try one out for a few minutes many many years ago at DCGL on an Esp Hanneman. The one thing that stood out to me that I liked was how you could have super low action and still do hard pull ups on the tremolo without pulling the strings down on to the frets like with a Floyd. Plus the idea of having the action adjustable for each saddle separately. And easier intonation. Adjustable string spacing. On paper it's just a better design but for some reason Floyds just seem better irl for some reason.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always wanted to own one since I saw the 98 BCR KKV with it. I got to try one out for a few minutes many many years ago at DCGL on an Esp Hanneman. The one thing that stood out to me that I liked was how you could have super low action and still do hard pull ups on the tremolo without pulling the strings down on to the frets like with a Floyd. Plus the idea of having the action adjustable for each saddle separately. And easier intonation. Adjustable string spacing. On paper it's just a better design but for some reason Floyds just seem better irl for some reason.

Eh, it's a different system and people above all else like familiarity, so the time that Kahler dissolved the hardware business in the 90's till more recently pretty much guaranteed they wouldn't be as popular.

Separating the parts of the mechanism, the "bridge" function and the "tremolo" function, isn't a new concept. Paul Bigsby figured that out early on and Leo Fender did as well.

I think folks beat the drum about how adjustable certain bridges are or aren't, but unless you're fitting something for a custom build stuff like individual string action and spacing aren't much of a concern for a proper setup. It's not like you're changing the fretboard width or radius on a whim.

For intonation, you still need to move the string out of the way, and you still need to loosen and carefully adjust the saddle, much like a Floyd. I always thought they should have used a smaller hex screw and offset it.

The biggest downsides, from a functional standpoint, of the Kahler are those crude string ball hooks and the metal on metal rollers. I've worked on plenty with bent hooks and siezed rollers.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For intonation, you still need to move the string out of the way, and you still need to loosen and carefully adjust the saddle, much like a Floyd. I always thought they should have used a smaller hex screw and offset it.
Did you see the new Hantung Floyd they're introducing? They do exactly that.

I'm sure it will cost One Billion Dollars, though. </drevil>

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you see the new Hantung Floyd they're introducing? They do exactly that.

I'm sure it will cost One Billion Dollars, though. </drevil>

Yeah, looks cool. The ABM Katana has had all those features and more for like a decade now, it's just they only make them to order it seems and is only available in black and chrome 6-string, definitely cheaper though.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, looks cool. The ABM Katana has had all those features and more for like a decade now, it's just they only make them to order it seems and is only available in black and chrome 6-string, definitely cheaper though.
Yeah, Crooks has one, but the guitar it's going on is in limbo.

Sacsha from Helloween replaced the ABMs on his customs with Lockmeisters, though, because they apparently didn't hold up to tuning.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Part-way through another year and still I wait for a MIJ/MIK/USA 7 string soloist or dinky in a color I like that's just 25.5" scale.

I love my Loomis for A standard, love my SLAT3-7 but it's a SLAT. My Indonesian SL7 would fit, but it's just "okay" and the only guitar I own that I don't feel strongly about keeping forever.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
After another one of my forum hiatuses (hiatii?) I have acquired an EDS DK2. Should be a fun little project.

Whomever decided those should have chrome hardware must've been on drugs. She's getting a total hardware makeover with black, and an OFR, plus redoing the electronics from scratch with EMG 81X + 2x SAXs.

I realize this is only one post after saying I don't need more guitars. And I will not apologize for that.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
anyone know if Adrian Smiths have swimming pool routes? The specs seem really good for the price but I’ve never tried one and don’t know what the neck profile is like

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

jco5055

Reaction score
Please for the love of God someone buy this and help those poor frets
Fun fact I actually played that, the guy is somewhat local (Jersey vs Brooklyn) so I went over to his area via train and played it in the back of his pickup truck in a Panera parking lot lol. I didn't notice the frets being terrible when I played it but I'm sure it would be different if I actually owned it. Just didn't feel that "spark" I look for when keeping guitars(maybe because of the frets?)....he actually said he was thinking about getting it all setup/cleaned up and maybe just keeping it but looks like he decided to keep selling.