In search of 7

• Thread starter Xoiijin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score
Wow....and to think the only 7 my local GC had was an Ibanez AX series - you couldn't pay me to take it home! Congrats on the new 7!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Black

Reaction score
Xoiijin said:
LOL
ok search ended.
i went back to the store to check out both models that they had. i played the 7420 and its felt real good to me. I plugged them both in and the 7420 sounded sweeter to me. i realize that the guitar had nine's on them, and my six strings are 10's. i dont know if i should move to 10's on the 7 string or not, you guys here can give me some insight to that...anyway...i called over the floor manager and said ok...what can you really do on the 7420. He said to me how much do you want to pay. I told him flat out, i want to pay $100 with a smirk on my face. i dont want to insult you, but you did say what did you want to pay for the guitar. He said to me, well i got to ask my manager what he can do on it. I told him i dont really expect them to sell it to me for $100, but hell ask him.

He came back and he said, OK...as is, and no returns....

Excuse me?

yea $100 is fine.
I blinked and said ok. sure.
I picked up the 7420 the "magenta/pink" color. few dings on it. no whammy bar with it :( so ill have to get a replacement one. no big deal. tomorrow ill pick up some stings and get a dimarzio locking strap. when i get the cash ill get the guitar really looked at and set up. im sure this guitar sat in this store for a long time and the manager was glad to see it go. i am happier that its with me heheh.
Came home explained to the wife where i had been....she wasnt thrilled but then i showed her the receipt where it says the guitar did sell for 800. and lets face it a girl knows when she sees a bargain. heheh

So i have officially been "pimped" and got my 7 string thank you all for your quick response time and giving me good advice and guidence.

X.
\m/
Man that is so cool. Your a lucky dog. But I do know that Sam Ash and Guitar center are not moving 7's much. My buddy at Sam Ash ( it's so awesome having a insider there!) says that SA is tring to stay away from them.
If you into 10's for strings you'll probaly benifit from just buying a six string set of ten's and buying a thicker srtring for the low B. I use EB 10's and a 58 for the low B. Some guys like it even thicker, but I think that's where intonation and the lack of a longer neck lenght start to present a problem. it's also sligtly cheaper in the long run to buy the low B seperate, I buy my strings online at Musicians friend
Rich over at Ibanezrulz.com would be the easiest way to get a hold of a new bar. I assume your trem is the pop in kind TRS 1. Sometimes GC carries Ibanez replacenment pop in bars ( when they have them I usually buy two or three)
I put a evo 7 in my bridge in my 7420 and left the neck in for now. The neck pip is tolerable in terms of sound but that's just my opnion...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Niiiiiice. That may be the best $100 you'll ever spend. ;)

I'm not sure if Rich carries the screw-in Lo-TRS bars, but I picked up a used 470 once with a TRS trem (my first ibanez, got it for cheap and I liked the neck, and it was my first floyd, so that was cool enough), and a fender floyd-style bar worked perfectly as a replacement, so you could always try that. Just go in, ask the guy in the store to recommend something, and make sure he guarantees it works and will let you exchange it if it doesn't, and $15 tops you should be back in business. :)

So, you've had it a few days now- what do you think? :)

-D

Xoiijin

Reaction score
Man has it been a rough few months. First of all thank you all for all the great advice. the site is excellent and it is good to see so many people have a positive outlook on playing and being "other than normal".
i have been super busy with work and night school full time. every time i turn around someone else is leaving my work and i have to pick up the slack, we have lost about 4 people in the last 2 months or so. sleep has now become something i miss.

Anyway.....

i finally broke out and started playing again, just getting my fingers used to playing again and getting used to the feel of the 7 srting. im so happy that i got this right out of the store, so there is no wear on the guitar except for the "stellar" magenta paint job that pops off when you look at it. i have just been playing some things that i know and my old originals to get back into the swing of things. i plan to get a practicing schedule for myself when school ends in a few weeks and when i return from my trip to Ireland. i notice tho i have been playing for a long time, i really lack the good foundation of the knowledge of what i am playing, i plan to work on that for the summer. i did great for so long playing by feel and ear that i want to get some theory to back it up.

i have a few questions...
with changing the strings on the 7420, do i have to cut the ball off the string and put it in the tremelo? do i have to leave the ball on? or can i put the ball at the tuner end and wind it up that way?

i have read a lot of posts as that the tremelo system i have on the 7420 isnt all that hot. is that something that i would eventually want to change out or is it something that depends on my playing?

in regards to long term:
I have taken my mexican strat and changed the pickups in it, they sound awesome (JB Jr. bridge, Virtual vintage neck, Lil 59 neck), but now i a have to get fret work done because of the poor quality fretwire used when building it. The fender is in desperate need of a setup.
My PRS Santana Se, i changed the pickups (pearly gates neck, custom5 bridge) and had the frets ground and polished to give them more of a crown, the tech that i used for it was impressed with the quality of everything on the PRS and he felt i would have a keeper for a long time.....In regards to the 7420 Ibanez from what ive read, it has the lower quality trem, i know that it is a 7420 neck, should i be treating this 7 string as an avenue to a higher quality 7 string say in a year or two, or can i take this quitar, and exchange pickups and a tremelo and have a workhorse for as long as i play.

Thanks,
X.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Xo,

Actually, I believe the 7620 and 7420 necks both came from the same factory - I didn't know this either for the longest time, but the 7420 was one of the few japanese ibanezes to ever come with the lo-trs. I guess since they were making so few seven's it didn't make sense to start operations in the korean factory...

Anyway, I have a feeling your question is a moot point - the problem with being a guitarist, is you always want to buy more stuff. :lol: The way I see it, you scored yourself a hell of a deal getting that one for $100. Why stop there? :) Give it a couple years, and then start looking for your second seven.

Or, rather, tell yourself that this one's gonna be your main player for a while, but then be cool with it when you find yourself pulling the trigger on another guitar. :)

Oh, and the finish on my 7620's a joke, too. Oh well.

-D

Latest posts