In the process of refinishing my Kiesel HH2... AGAIN.

• Thread starter LexMentis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a DIYer and relatively crafty, so I got bored and decided to refinish my Kiesel HH2 for a second time. Some of you might remember this thread: My Kiesel HH2 build - Am I wrong to be a little bit disappointed?

I saw a video of a car that I thought was totally gorgeous and decided to copy the steps shown in this video for a similar result:

Anyway, here's the progress so far:

Some might think this is crazy, but that's alright. It's a guitar. I'm having fun. I've always got creative juices flowing and it's a good creative outlet for me. I really enjoy this stuff and I might even refinish it again years down the road. Who knows. I've been getting pretty comfortable with it. I also have a Deluxe Telecaster of mine that I'm working on to prepare for sale.

Keep in mind that the lighting and camera differences make the shades of red look very different, but they are the exact same product. I'll be sure to post more when it's finished. I have a couple more coats of red candy to do, then a coat or two of clear with a little red mixed it, then final coats of clear. It'll look much closer to the car. Should have a lot of depth to it.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
That’s awesome. I want to do this to a couple of my guitars but with the Mazda red metallic. However, I am chicken shit.

Nice work so far!

No way! Crazy you mention that!
For the past few weeks every time I walk past one of those red Mazdas I think that to myself.
It's something about how that red fades to black so dramatically with the light. I still can't figure it out lol...

kriff

Reaction score
Holy shit dude. Another bold move. Let's see if it pays off as well as the first one! Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Holy shit dude. Another bold move. Let's see if it pays off as well as the first one! Looking forward to seeing the finished pics.
I'll keep you all posted! Thanks!

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some progress shots:

20240303_141551.jpg
Stained the fretboard to make it darker ebony. Wasn't a fan of the streaks. I dried it out with isopropyl alcohol and then rubbed in some black stain (stewmac brand). No sanding was needed.

20240304_171825.jpg
Prepped for base-coat. The previous finish is preserved underneath just in case, but will probably never see the light of day again anyway.

20240307_110839.jpg
Black base

20240310_002941.jpg
Gold flake at maybe 85-90% coverage.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Nice work, can’t wait to see the finished product. Your rework of the faded denim finish looked excellent, but gold flake under red has great potential too - the Alfa Disco Volante 8c comes to mind.

Your in progress reel has a hint of Ibanez Crushed Ruby to it, looks great so far!

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice work, can’t wait to see the finished product. Your rework of the faded denim finish looked excellent, but gold flake under red has great potential too - the Alfa Disco Volante 8c comes to mind.

Your in progress reel has a hint of Ibanez Crushed Ruby to it, looks great so far!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 1711424379113.png
    1711424379113.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mazda red metallic.
I just looked that up, and I am seriously reconsidering my choice. This and the Tesla ultra red are gorgeous. I'm starting to lean more towards something like this. I'm going to finish this paint job and see how I like it, but this definitely has me second-guessing.

edit: Yeah, it's pretty likely that I'm going to ditch this and do the Mazda soul red. Already looked up the steps involved. That's gorgeous. I think a brighter red will look nicer with the silver pickup covers as well, rather than a darker finish that I'm currently doing. We'll see.

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
hopefully yours would be way less chip-prone than Mazda's Soul Red. It's bad enough it turned me off from it after being 100% positive my next car was going to be red, but ended up with dark grey. 😂

LexMentis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thankfully, if I decide to go with the Mazda red, all I'll need to do is sand it all back and spray a copper metallic base (which I can get a spray can of for $20) and then just used the red and clear that I already have on top of that. That's the basic formula for that red.

Latest posts