Incoming Kartakou Collosus

• Thread starter maggotspawn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
hmm Myasnikov or Kartakou or even R&R Sound SL/LD...

Myasnikov is like... direct clones, correct?

The Karkataou only does the 5150 I believe.

The SL/LD is like an old 2ch Recto meets an SLO, but more versatile.

I owned the SL/LD and loved it. With a boost, it's insane.

jclogston

Reaction score
Myasnikov is like... direct clones, correct?

The Karkataou only does the 5150 I believe.

The SL/LD is like an old 2ch Recto meets an SLO, but more versatile.

I owned the SL/LD and loved it. With a boost, it's insane.

the SL/LD looks really versatile...how were it's cleans?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I'm thinking my rig is gonna end up being the Colossus and R&R PWR150 eventually. Trying to move some stuff. Tried 2 different setups last night and wasn't liking the mids of either. Everything sounded hollow and didn't cut until I kicked on the loop that the 6505mh was in. Then it was too "squeely". I guess there's a buffer in the Patchmate that's too hot going into the loop.

jclogston

Reaction score
I'm thinking my rig is gonna end up being the Colossus and R&R PWR150 eventually. Trying to move some stuff. Tried 2 different setups last night and wasn't liking the mids of either. Everything sounded hollow and didn't cut until I kicked on the loop that the 6505mh was in. Then it was too "squeely". I guess there's a buffer in the Patchmate that's too hot going into the loop.

I wonder how any of these will sound using AMT tube cake or mooer baby boom?

Gmork

Reaction score
Ive had EXCELLENT customer service for my custom engle FB100 footswitch with kartakou. And as far as shipping from over there ive also experienced weird tracking issues and somewhat long wait times. Ive had my eye on the collosus for a long while. Cant wait to hear some first hand accounts! I want to hear it next to 5150

MrWulf

Reaction score
FWIW i have the Tube Cake 1.5W version. Decent mobile poweramp that can get loud but not too loud for practice purposes. The presence/depth knobs are quite useful though

jclogston

Reaction score
FWIW i have the Tube Cake 1.5W version. Decent mobile poweramp that can get loud but not too loud for practice purposes. The presence/depth knobs are quite useful though

Cool. Thanks for the info. I might look into it as my power amp for this.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
It arrived. Only got to play it at bedroom volumes, but it sounds on par with my 6505+ at the same volume. Can't wait crank it up. It has momentary relays for the channel switching. My G Major 2 wouldn't work for that. I hooked up a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, and all is good. At first the gain channel wasn't working. It turned out to be some loose tubes from shipping.
Very happy with this purchase.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
It arrived. Only got to play it at bedroom volumes, but it sounds on par with my 6505+ at the same volume. Can't wait crank it up. It has momentary relays for the channel switching. My G Major 2 wouldn't work for that. I hooked up a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, and all is good. At first the gain channel wasn't working. It turned out to be some loose tubes from shipping.
Very happy with this purchase.

Awesome you received it, mine is WPB so ill get it Monday. Glad to hear that it sounds on par with the 6505+, that's what i was looking for in it. Thanks for the heads up on the loose tubes.

I was going to use it with the Replifex that is a channel switching via TRS cable...is that the way its designed ?

Any way..Enjoy and glad you received it !

Mike

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also cool to hear it's based on the 6505+. Everyone wants to emulate an OG 5150 or a 5153, but never any love for the 6505+515II.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
Awesome you received it, mine is WPB so ill get it Monday. Glad to hear that it sounds on par with the 6505+, that's what i was looking for in it. Thanks for the heads up on the loose tubes.

I was going to use it with the Replifex that is a channel switching via TRS cable...is that the way its designed ?

Any way..Enjoy and glad you received it !

Mike
I don't know if the Replifex can switch momentary relays. The footswitch input is 5 pin DIN. Vasili sent me an adapter, that is 5 pin DIN to 1/4" female TRS. I don't know if he sends out that adapter with every order.
But like I said my G Major 2 couldn't.switch channels on it. Drove me crazy last night.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
It's laid out almost exactly the the Salvation Mods S1S0. Has a I/II switch and a mid sweep knob. Just missing the fire switch to take it into EVH territory. I moved all my gear I was trying to move. Torn between ordering this and just getting another dam EVH 50w 6L6. Only thing is I have a Mesa OS straight/slant and did not like v30's with that head last I tried. Oh well, I have a couple Legend v128's in a 2x12 I can steal for an X pattern.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I don't know if the Replifex can switch momentary relays. The footswitch input is 5 pin DIN. Vasili sent me an adapter, that is 5 pin DIN to 1/4" female TRS. I don't know if he sends out that adapter with every order.
But like I said my G Major 2 couldn't.switch channels on it. Drove me crazy last night.
I have a Replifex and it's not intended for momentary relays, but I have had it work on them before, probably a fluke. I wouldn't expect it to work on momentary though. I'm really interested in this preamp though. sounds awesome in the YouTube vids.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
y2tGwARh.jpg

UN9MoaCh.jpg

Finished rack and some gut shots. It came with JJ's. I may swap V1 for a Tung Sol, but want to play with it some more.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
That sucks I can't use my G Major, I'm out. Why would he design it that way? I would need the adapter and even then it wouldn't work with my Patchmate or G Major.