Incorporating expansive sweep patterns (video)

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score

I've been playing around with these patterns and wanted to get feedback on how I could incorporate the 6th/7th strings. Was thinking I could add the lower octaves of some of these notes?

My theory knowledge is limited as I only picked up bits here and there from being in jazz band in high school (trumpet).
As for song placement I think this would serve as a nice interlude void of any drums or bass with accompanying choir/synth portions.

I am only down-picking the ascending portion and not the descent.
Tuned to Drop A.

Patterns are as follows:
upload_2021-8-14_16-54-45.png
upload_2021-8-14_16-55-2.png
upload_2021-8-14_16-55-25.png
The third pattern ends after I tap the E on the 24th fret.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Not bad. I'll check out the tabs later. The only thing that immediately jumps out with me on your technique is your right hand seems to be stiffly raking down the sweep, and it also looks like you're getting a lot of your "note" noise from a legato/hammer-on standpoint.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
The stiffness isn’t necessarily an issue (see Jason Richardson), but the twisting of the wrist and pick angle seems like it could be a bad habit forming. Although, if it works for you, more power to ya. Anyone that’s seen willie adlers or Marty Freidmans offensive picking styles know it doesn’t really matter unless it hurts.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The stiffness isn’t necessarily an issue (see Jason Richardson), but the twisting of the wrist and pick angle seems like it could be a bad habit forming. Although, if it works for you, more power to ya. Anyone that’s seen willie adlers or Marty Freidmans offensive picking styles know it doesn’t really matter unless it hurts.

Agreed. *cough* Steve Morse *cough*

olejason

Reaction score
From a theory standpoint you might try resolving the line to D minor instead of keeping it in E. In a minor key it's common to play the V chord with a flat 9 which neatly resolves to the minor tonic. You could also land on B natural over Dm for a Dorian sound if that's what you're going for. Sounds good man, it's a nice line.

jaxadam

Reaction score
From a theory standpoint you might try resolving the line to D minor instead of keeping it in E. In a minor key it's common to play the V chord with a flat 9 which neatly resolves to the minor tonic. You could also land on B natural over Dm for a Dorian sound if that's what you're going for. Sounds good man, it's a nice line.

I've been messing around with this, and I agree with D minor. I've only played it on a 6, but I started it on the 10th fret of the low E string, with the line:

E---10--13--17 (I moved the 12 from the original A and put it at the 17 on the low E. I also moved the 12 on the high e and put it on the 17 on the B).

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score

Thanks man! I'll give D minor a try and see if I can make other adjustments from there.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score

If you're referencing the wrist angle change at the end that's to incorporate the note tap at the end of the line, I can see how that would be uncomfortable if done frequently. The way I'm picking the lower strings (and stiffness) is how I've been playing for a few years now without discomfort, yet I've been trying to open up my pinky and ring finger (fanning out my fingers) in order to have more control of my picking. I can't pivot my pinky on the body/higher strings like some other players can.