Inferno Fest 2024 - ICS Vortex, Tjodalv and Mustis playing one song with Dimmu LOLZ

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
It seems that Silenoz, Shaggers and Uncle Fester realized that their band is going to bomb bad without Mustis and ICS Vortex back on board
Mustis left because of unpaid and unrecognized copyright on the songs, with ICS Vortex leaving too in solidariety
Now, it has been pretty clear that, after Stormblast, Silenoz and Shaggers made money on the work of Nagash first, then Mustis later
The records after Mustis and ICS Vortex departure have been abismally bad, and now they're not even able to write a new record for the sake of it, so the two opened their pockets to grant their future
Let's see how this unfold

Personally I much prefer to listen to Vortex with Borknagar, Tjodalv with Susperia (as I love them and am happy that Athera, great great GREAT singer is back in shape, and Mustis with whatever he'll do since he has so much talent than to go to trite Dimmu LOLZ 12 years later

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Maybe I'm weird, but I personally think Eonian is their best album since Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. ICS Vortex never fit in with Dimmu IMO. Mustis wrote some impressive stuff, but he also contributed on several of their boring fillerfest albums.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
ICS Vortex and Mustis was that secret ingredient that made Dimmu Borgir interesting to me. I was sad when they left, but I also understand that they had their reasons. "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia", "Death Cult Armageddon" and "In Sorte Diaboli" is some of my favorite albums. I tried hard to get into their newer stuff, but it just doesn't have that "thing" that made me fall in love with their music in the first place. Sadly, a lot of it feels quite phoned in to me.

Fingers crossed that we'll see a return of the secret spice and a new and exciting album release at some point in the near future.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Honestly I'm a big Borknagar fan since The Olden Domain
Not earlier because I couldn't find the debut album in 1995...but I was looking for it already being a fan of all the bands in which the memebers were: Ulver, Gorgoroth, Enslaved...
I saw Borknagar live with Vortex when he hadn't the beard yet

I'm very biased towards Borknagar

Also...Attitude from Susperia, although derivative from Testament and "Morgana Lefay" (for those old enough to know the band), is a f'ing great record I never get tired of

KailM

Reaction score
Best song they ever released, right there. And it couldn’t be played correctly without Vortex on vocals.

Shame that Uncle Fester couldn’t play those original leads…

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Wow... That sounded pretty amazing. It would be beyond awesome if the guys actually rejoined the band. I don't really care who's behind the drums tbh, as they've had great drummers all the time, but Vortex and Mustis are essential to the band.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man the one thing popping out in that clip is how lame the crowd is and that’s coming from Swedish crowds who take a while to get into it.

the last good album they put out was in sorte and it’s going to be very hard to top puritanical euphoric misanthropia as that is my favorite black metal album of all time, although MGLA’s exercises on futility give it a run for its money. The vortex + mustis + nick barker was the secret sauce although hellhammer was awesome in in sorte.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Best song they ever released, right there. And it couldn’t be played correctly without Vortex on vocals.

Shame that Uncle Fester couldn’t play those original leads…
Astennu was on another level
Wow... That sounded pretty amazing. It would be beyond awesome if the guys actually rejoined the band. I don't really care who's behind the drums tbh, as they've had great drummers all the time, but Vortex and Mustis are essential to the band.
The drummer who played on the band on Stormblast, Enthrone Darkness and Spiritual

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't listened to Eonian, but I'd put Abrahadabra over In Sorte Diaboli if we're ranking them; realistically there seems like an obvious drop off after Deathcult Armageddon, which is weird because the only one who wasn't on ISD between the two was Nick Barker, so not necessarily a key component to their sound or anything.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Holy shit these are some names I haven't heard in a really long time. I really liked Enthroned Darkness Triumphant and Death Cult Armageddon back in the day but this band just became too cheesy for me after a while. I liked the black metal meets melodeath with some symphonic stuff type of sound of the early material but when it leaned more into the symphonic side and started to lose the dynamic of the other stuff I lost interest. I think a lot of people did.

I always remember people loving Vortex though and when he departed in 2009 I think a lot of the fanbase went with him. To be fair I think people just grew out of their music as well. I never hear this band mentioned anymore and haven't in some time. Just reading these names in the thread title unlocked a lot of Myspace era memories for me.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really care who's behind the drums tbh, as they've had great drummers all the time, but Vortex and Mustis are essential to the band.

Totally agree. I haven't watched the link yet but I'd be more interested in DB if those two are back. Kind of like Dream Theater with Portnoy lol

I also agree with @works0fheart as far as growing out of the music. I wasn't a diehard fan but was introduced to them with PEM and loved that along with Death Cult. I kind of liked In Sorte Diaboli but other non death metal music was getting more of my attention at the time.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Everything up through Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was pretty good for me back in the day. They had lots of good melodies. I lost interest when death cult came out.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
When I was listening to Dimmu Borgir around 2003, they were called posers, sellouts, hacks, and whatever else by fans in the black metal community back then, too. They've never been 'trve kvlt' enough for black metal purists (who are usually completely insufferable anyway), so in that sense looking back on a golden era or lineup is pretty amusing.

I never got the sense they disappeared, though. They're a regular band on the European festival circuit and play at least half a dozen dates every year. Looking at their tour archive and excluding the pandemic, the last time they were inactive was 2014-2018, which was their biggest hiatus in years. Despite the 8-year gap between their 2010 and 2018 albums, they played nearly 90 shows throughout 2010-2014.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Real black metal sucks ass, and it never progressed to a point where it was listenable, it's all just a pretty boring race to the bottom in the search of "trve kvlt-ness"; MetalSucks put out a list of like, 10 or maybe 20 of the best new black metal albums and I think of them, one of them would've been worth adding to a library.

Latest posts