Is anyone here into Noise?

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Noise is a genre that I never took seriously before very recently, when I found out that some of my friends are really into the noise scene. A dude who graduated from my high school a couple years before me is now gaining serious popularity with his act Swallowing Bile. Last night a good friend of mine took me to my first noise show, Summer Scum III. It was the 2nd craziest live event I've ever been to (#1 being the Punk Rock Puppet Show), and without a shadow of a doubt the loudest show I've ever been to. At one point, people were throwing ....ing oil drums at each other, it's actually amazing nobody had to be sent to the hospital. There was so much merch there to, of course almost all of it was on cassette. There were a lot of black metal and crust punk tapes for sale as well as the noise selection.

I went there just for the experience, expecting to see some crazy shit, and not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I actually really enjoyed the whole show, and found myself getting pumped up to some of the acts. I wouldn't listen to it on my own time, but it's really all about the live shows. I gained a new respect for a performance art that I really never took seriously before, and had a ....ing awesome time.

So, is anyone here into noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cnev

Reaction score
There's a certain amount of appreciation I have for the sheer intensity of certain noise acts, and how it can be worked into other styles of music to incredible effect. But overall my opinion on the genre by itself is pretty negative. I knew some kids in high school myself who were into the noise scene, and even went on to form a band. They were some of the most pretentious, obnoxious and musically inept people I've ever encountered in my life, which probably has something to do with my inability to take the genre seriously. Gnaw Their Tongues is about as far as I go and I love Swans particularly because of their noise element. But, without some kind of guiding musical force, noise by itself just gets on my nerves.

broj15

Reaction score
yeah, I like how noise can be incorporated into other forms of music, and I've tried to listen to some harsh noise/power electronics but just can't get into it. However I do think it would be fun to start a noise project (guitar based of course. think David Gilmour while he's dicking around on Live at Pompeii) and I wouldn't hesitate to go to a noise show. And speaking as an avid tape collector I urge you to get into it. it can be real fun and is quite practical for noise given how tapes will slowly and unpredictably deteriorate over time thus distorting the music further.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
My band CHT incorporates noise in the form of my synth and pitch pedals, and my bass players Teslamin, which is basically a tesla coil globe plugged into a theramin, going through some cheap multi effect processor.

He and I formed DAMNGIRLNACHOES, where we played shows throwing around and breaking things and using construction tools on top of random radio noises.. We also gave people free wine and drum sticks and had toms set up everywhere for people to hit on

gorthul

Reaction score
Noise is the only genre of music I don't even consider as music. It is just what the name suggests = noise. To be recognized as music to my ears, a combination of different sounds has to be structured in rythm and some kind of harmonic complexity. Noise just seems random to me, which makes it fail through my categorization.
I dig it when people mix other music genres with subtle elements of noise, but on it's own and in it's purest form I simply can't stand it as I cannot witness anything enjoyable in it.

jay moth

Reaction score
I used to be a part of noise boyband called Handsome Heartbreakers.

Everyone loves Immortal, right?

Also I used to perform solo under different names, had some splits with random acts, including Torturing Nurse. Thinking about getting back to noisemaking again.

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
It's always good when people are excited about something new, but this literally sounds like someone was forced to stuff their own balls in their butthole with a homeless man's teeth.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Noise is the only genre of music I don't even consider as music. It is just what the name suggests = noise. To be recognized as music to my ears, a combination of different sounds has to be structured in rythm and some kind of harmonic complexity. Noise just seems random to me, which makes it fail through my categorization.
I dig it when people mix other music genres with subtle elements of noise, but on it's own and in it's purest form I simply can't stand it as I cannot witness anything enjoyable in it.

I usually refer to it as a performance art, considering that there isn't really anything musical about it.

Nats

Reaction score
I'll "compose" noise as something to add into a song really buried in the mix to just add a little something. Won't listen to it on it's own though.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I've been making noise music since about 95, and it's just about my favorite thing to play, though I don't record any of it.

It's free form expression of sound. Just as much music as anything else. It's obviously about as ugly as music gets, so it's no great mystery that people would hesitate to call it music. But they're wrong.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
I go through a period of listening to harsh noise about once every 6 months to a year, I find it really compelling when I'm in certain moods. here's some stuff I made a while back <øæ¡ð>

thegut

No Talent Ass Clown
Reaction score
By itself I really can't get into noise. However if mixed into another genre I usually like the intensity it can bring. Back in college I loved Jesus Christ Bobby by Minus, that had the perfect mix for me.