Is Helter Skelter one of the first metal songs? Or punk?

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
My wife and I have been arguing over this. She's a Beatles fan, and I do agree that for the time it was pretty hard, it's the first punk song. I mean they're yelling over loud ass amps, hitting the stings so hard the low E is going out of tune, and "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS"

I mean personally, it reminds me more of this

than any of the other first "metal" songs..

So what do y'all think? Is Helter Skelter the first punk or metal song?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
no. The Stooges/Velvet Underground/MC5/New York Dolls/Ramones/Blondie/Patti Smith/Devo\Talking Heads are widely credited as being some of the first punk bands. Punk really wasn't a thing til the 1970s.

Last edited:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Ha it sure is a heavier song relative to other Beatles songs. I dunno if it quite has the right attitude or energy for early punk; it kind of feels more like a harder rock or very early "metal" but that's just IMO. I mean it definitely could have inspired some early punk.

Reaction score
Because after showing my wife Black Flag, I'm on the verge of winning an argument.

Famous last words. You will be remembered.

PressFtoPayRespects.jpg

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score

I've always thought there was a lot going on in Crazy Horses that you can now recognize in heavier rock and metal that came after it. The riff is heavy as shit ha, the gritty 'growl' vocals, the obvious horse part that's like whammy bar abuse and there's even an awesome scream in the bit before the solo. What a tune ha.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I've always thought there was a lot going on in Crazy Horses that you can now recognize in heavier rock and metal that came after it. The riff is heavy as shit ha, the gritty 'growl' vocals, the obvious horse part that's like whammy bar abuse and there's even an awesome scream in the bit before the solo. What a tune ha.

Holy shit that fucking goes! I didn't know the Osmonds did anything like that, wtf!

nightflameauto

Reaction score

There's a real gallop in that riff. Holy hell.

I kinda wanna do a cover of it now. Wonder what that would sound like with a tubescreamer boosted 5150 type tone?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Famous last words. You will be remembered.

532b474c713a538cfddc27dc516136f7--laugh-a-lot-favorite-movie-quotes-3418108780.jpg

In her words..."All the examples you showed sounded a lot more metal, and Helter Skelter sounded like the punk songs you showed me. And you play guitar, so you know more about music....I guess I'll take your word for it." I just won

f83ac04846a1a9934ed7fc9ebe5ce4a0-2981077457.gif