Is it just me or has SS.ORG gone really quiet?

• Thread starter JP Universe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Ditto to this. It seems like activity is decreasing. I'm noticing that majority of where I'm looking, threads I'm following/reading/etc., it's a lot of the same guys posting. Seems like many other members have just flaked out of here or just don't post much anymore. I, myself, haven't posted as much as I used to. Shoot, I even owe you guys on here five NGD threads (going back to January) and I've just been slacking on getting them together.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Hmm agreed. I very rarely start threads but rather post to stuff I see pup up in the new "live post"-update. But yeah especially these last summer months there has been nothing but NGD's and FT post. Better start something so spam-tastic as the "unpopular opinions"-thread to get people going again :lol:

MrYakob

Reaction score
As someone who relies on reading this forum to get through the day I've definitely noticed it too, ironically I've been posting now more than I ever have (which is still not a whole lot :lol:)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Guilty. I'm more of a lurker these days, than anything. Also in the 'owe several NGD threads' camp. :lol:

Happens. The defined shared interest of this forum is still extremely niche in the grand scheme of things, not to mention that as people's lives continue, their interests and/or priorities invariably shift in unexpected directions. I had to learn a long time ago that life gives precisely zero effs about one's plans.

Having little to do with this community specifically, I definitely grew - over time - less interested in getting into any political discussions on the internet. I used to read/post in those threads a lot, but I've kind of trained myself to stop looking.

More generally, I'm guessing that many of us who used to post with frequency are just plain 'busier' than we used to be, for any variety of reasons. Some have found success through their musical pursuits, others are eyeballs-deep in new families/marriages/kids/etc, others might simply be enjoying a much needed summer vacation, others may be preparing for Mars colonization.. Who knows?! C'est la vie!

Mike

Reaction score
I think it would have been funny if no one replied to your post to help illustrate the point.

A good part of it is probably the younger crowd off of school enjoying friends, summer, vacations etc. Things will probably pickup in September when people need something to do to avoid studying and work.

Don Vito

Reaction score
The djent craze of the early 10's is over, and forums in general aren't popular anymore. Most other forums I used to browse still have the same group of people who signed up 5-10+ years ago.

Tbh, the only reason I still make an effort to post here is because I'm weird and want to reach 5k posts. I probably would have stopped coming 50 posts ago if it weren't for that. I like using anonymous sites. Too much pressure having an account and trying to make a name for yourself in a community.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I'm trying to actually play guitar these days instead of only reading about them haha

But seriously I'm pretty happy with my gear right now so no more NGDs or "what should I buy" threads to post.

Also without rep there's less incentive to post NGD. . . Silly I know but since we got rid of rep I've skipped 3 NGDs something I would never do in the past

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
Also without rep there's less incentive to post NGD. . . Silly I know but since we got rid of rep I've skipped 3 NGDs something I would never do in the past

I actually noticed this as well. When Rep was removed, I noticed an almost immediate drop in traffic. Things get shared less often, new threads seem to pop up less, etc.

It's human nature to need some validation, and that's what rep provided. Not saying that's the only reason the site seems quiet, but I'd say it's part of the general explanation, along with people just being busy and it being Summertime. I'd be interested to see how activity would rise if rep was brought back.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The number of daily users and posts has not really dropped. Going back a couple years the daily average has been between 1200 and 2000 registered users. Highest ever was something like 4000 in a 24 hour period, but that was in like 2010/2011 during a very drama filled week that culminated in Alex making some changes around here.

We have more Contributing members than I ever remember seeing.

Things seem a little slow because for the first time in a long time there isn't any builder drama. There was a time not to long ago when about once every couple weeks another builder would go off the deep end.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
only when you're op.

only time I'll ever be called OP.

I think it could also have to do with a number of the recurring PC&E trolls finally being banned, so there is much less furious posting going on down there :lol:

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe it's the summertime lull? Or maybe it was the combo of the rep system being disabled, the huge stench that came up when Alex said there were a few relatively big changes coming, and the changes to the rules in the classifieds. I'm not saying that is definitely the reason, but that seems to be right around the time things got kinda quiet around here. I've only been here since early 2012, but the vibe is drastically different now compared to when I signed up. I still love it here, but it's changed. :2c:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Super slow. It's driving me crazy, because the past couple weeks my work is also really slow (I'm only on when I'm at work, generally.), so it's killing me extra bad. My favorite is PC&E and honestly there's been not even 3 posts there for like 2 weeks now.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
In my opinion the market and luthiery has become a bit stale after a period that was a mini-revolution.
It's an effect of the crisis were manufacturers play it safe and don't innovate that much, except something here and there.
In the latest 3 NAMMs I only got excited for the fanned fret Ibby...not saying there wasn't any good guitar (Schecter raised their quality a lot, Caparison made the great C" series, and other stuff...), but nothing as revolutionary (The Ibby 9 with that scale is a bit stupid to me)
The more innovations, the more hype, the more people willing to write on forums.
And for a big revolution in guitar manufacturing we need a guitar genious that pops up every 10 years or so, bigger and more revolutionary than Tosin (Tosin would have the skills to try something even more crazy but he's not doing it).

Locrain

Reaction score
I have noticed that the amount of posts is very low compared to the amount of people viewing a forum. Like in the ERG forum, sometimes there will be 100 or more people active, but the place is DEAD.

Sumsar

Reaction score
@OmegaSlayer

I think the next thing is the bigger companies beginning to build headless guitars. The boden OS and the Carvin Vader seem to have been very succesfull, so I wonder if any of the "standard manufactors" (Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, ESP etc) are going to take a try at a $500 - 1000 Headless, just because there seems to be a market for it, and clearly there is no indo / corea produced headless at that price point. But I guess at least for ibanez it will depend on how the very niche market fanned fret guitars sell.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Ever since I moved away from civilization in 2012 I pretty much stopped doing music stuff. I finally realized as well that my playing sounds the same no matter what gear I have so I stopped buying/selling gear for the most part == not much to contribute to forums. Especially since I hate almost all of the music that is popular here anyway. Get off my lawn.