Is Kirk Hammett the worst guitar icon of all time?

• Thread starter sumitagarwal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Is Kirk Hammett the worst guitar icon of all time?

• He is the worst

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • You'd be surprised, but worse guitar heroes exist (please say who!)

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Kirk Hammett is good, actually.

Votes: 41 52.6%

• Total voters

sumitagarwal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know this is going to make some people very angry, but I think I speak for the silent majority when (as a 30+ year Metallica fan) I wonder if the wah-pedal-abusing, box-pattern-flailing, crap-tone-even-on-a-59-LP Kirk Hammett is truly the worst guitar icon of all time.

What is your judgement?

*This is regarding his actual playing and ability as a musician!* From what I can tell he's a real stand up guy and almost certainly the nicest Metallica member still around from the good albums!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I would hardly call one of the biggest guitarists of all time, the same guy who has inspired multiple generations of guitarists..a bad guitar player.

To me this is like the "Lars is a bad drummer" thing. You only need to be as good as it takes to carry your weight in the band and all the members of Metallica have shown they aren't just good musicians but work together.

May we all hope to be "crappy" half as well as Metallica.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
This guy obviously has never heard of Dave Mustaine.

Edit: ah, you mean playing. I should read better. Dave Mustaine is wildly good, but insufferable.

sumitagarwal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guy obviously has never heard of Dave Mustaine.

Edit: ah, you mean playing. I should read better. Dave Mustaine is wildly good, but insufferable.
Seems like the cosmic bargain is you can't be a nice guy and a good guitarist at the same time.

But somehow I fail at both.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Kerry is forgiven:

B4-C12-F92-53-B0-4-DA6-8-F57-125-B6459-D128.jpg

sumitagarwal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slayer's solos are low-key experimental guitar music. Put those over a Lou Reed record and nobody will notice. Slayer = hi-speed redneck avant-garde.
100%

And it would absolutely crush Lulu...