Is the SD Nazgul 7 less aggressive than the 6?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried a 7-string Nazgul pickup years ago. Didn't really like it. I liked it at first, but then I realized it's not as gnarly and aggressive as people made it out to be.

Is it the same deal with the 6-string? I recall some people saying the Nazgul 7 sounded smoother and more tame, but I'm curious to see if that's the truth?

Yeah, I know 7-string pickups will inherently sound different, but I'm curious if it means it's less aggressive than the 6-string counterpart.

Edika

Reaction score
I have a 7 string with the Nazgul and just put a 6 string version. I'm not sure if it's the guitars and electronics (two different guitars in construction) but the 6 string does sound like it has more output. I don't think they differ in character that much. The 7 string is a bolt on with a fixed hipshot style bridge MIM while the other is a USA neckthrough with an OFR and a brass block. Both are alder with maple necks and ebony fretboard.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Really depends on the guitars they're in. I've played km7 mkiis with nazgul bridges that sounded super pissed off, and then I've played some other guitars with them that just sounded meh. I've never noticed the ERG versions of the nazgul being less aggressive, it's just certain guitars smooth out that croaky midrange and high end. My all mahogany avenger 8 was one of those guitars that smoothed out that particular bit of sound.

Duncan is far more consistent with their pickup voicings across 6, 7 and 8 strings than dimarzio. Most of the modern Duncans sound the same regardless of string count ime (pegasus, black winter, nazgul, omega).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
It's interesting because to my knowledge there really isn't any technical reason that the Nazgul 6 string pickup should be any more or less aggressive-sounding than the 7 string version....and yet I have heard it too, and I agree that the 7 string one seems like it's just a bit smoother feeling than the 6 string version. I just kinda wrote it off as being something that was a result of the 7 string pickup being inherently different, as you said. For my tastes lately I've actually somewhat preferred the tonality of the Nazgul as a 7 string moreso than the 6 string version. But I have no real idea why that difference is so significant.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
I've heard this as well but I don't find Duncans to vary as much across ERG pickups. I haven't spent much time with the 7 string version though. I love the 6 and 8 string ones I have. The Naz in a 6 string baritone is chug heaven and the 8 is absolutely brutal for Drop E. I would imagine the 7 to be pretty similar.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
I don't have the 6 string Nazgul but I have the 7 and 8 string version. My mahogany 8 sounds tamer but the bridge pickup also sits farther from the bridge which would contribute more to the sound. Sounds good in Drop E on it's own. A lot of variables to consider outside of number of strings for sure, yet it's pretty consistent from what I've heard in person.

MSS

Reaction score
I have the Nazgul in a Mayones Duvell 6 and 7. The 6 string Nazgul sounds better IMO. However, I think this is due to different tunings. IMO the Nazgul sounds better in drop d and c than drop a.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Duncan is far more consistent with their pickup voicings across 6, 7 and 8 strings than dimarzio. Most of the modern Duncans sound the same regardless of string count ime (pegasus, black winter, nazgul, omega).

Dimarzio changing the magnets of all their 7-string pickups to ceramic certainly doesn't help.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Dimarzio changing the magnets of all their 7-string pickups to ceramic certainly doesn't help.
yep. They were ahead of the curve with their 7 string offerings back in the day, but it's not like they couldn't have had alnico bar stock cut to custom sizes back in the day either.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
yep. They were ahead of the curve with their 7 string offerings back in the day, but it's not like they couldn't have had alnico bar stock cut to custom sizes back in the day either.

It's not really necessary to use 7-string sized A5 bar magnets anyway. I know Elysian uses 6-string sized ones (opened up mine). Duncan uses 7-string sized ones. Dunno about the rest.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have the Nazgul in a Mayones Duvell 6 and 7. The 6 string Nazgul sounds better IMO. However, I think this is due to different tunings. IMO the Nazgul sounds better in drop d and c than drop a.

I was actually planning to use it for a guitar tuned to drop B, so boo. :lol:

I ended up getting a Custom Custom (by accident :lol: ) but we'll see what happens. if I find a Nazgul 6 for cheap I'll try it.