Is there anyway to increase the sweep of a regular crybaby?

• Thread starter Kaickul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaickul

ΛTRΛMΞNTVM
Reaction score
I have a Crybaby GCB95, but I find it to be lacking with the sweep, anything I could do with it or should I just buy another wah pedal? TIA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
What kind of sound are you looking to get with your wah? Something more vintage or something more modern? Check out BBE The Wah if you want a fantastic vintage sounding wah.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
I have a Crybaby GCB95, but I find it to be lacking with the sweep, anything I could do with it or should I just buy another wah pedal? TIA!

If you can elaborate on what you mean by "more sweep", I think I could help you make a simple mod to the circuit so that it will better suit your needs. I found the schematic online (attached) and I ran a simulation of what happens to your signal as you roll the foot pedal back/forth(also attached). After you tell me what you'd like it to do differently, I'll make some changes and post the results.

From the plots, you'll see that as you rock the pedal back and forth you increase/flatten out that sharp little peak around 700Hz and your lows and highs are substantially rolled off while the wah is activated. The schematic may or may not be 100% accurate, but I'm sure it's close enough to give us a starting point.

Kaickul

ΛTRΛMΞNTVM
Reaction score
If you can elaborate on what you mean by "more sweep", I think I could help you make a simple mod to the circuit so that it will better suit your needs. I found the schematic online (attached) and I ran a simulation of what happens to your signal as you roll the foot pedal back/forth(also attached). After you tell me what you'd like it to do differently, I'll make some changes and post the results.

From the plots, you'll see that as you rock the pedal back and forth you increase/flatten out that sharp little peak around 700Hz and your lows and highs are substantially rolled off while the wah is activated. The schematic may or may not be 100% accurate, but I'm sure it's close enough to give us a starting point.

I'd like to have a wider sweep range.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Ok. Still a little cryptic, but I've got some ideas for you.

Are you any good with a soldering iron?

Reaction score
If you don't want to buy a new wah pedal you could try replacing the inductor in the Crybaby (I'm guessing you have a GCB95 since you said regular crybaby) with a Fasel inductor which is present in the Jimi Hendrix Signature wah as well as some other models.
It don't think it will give you a significantly extended sweep but it has a more vocal quality to it's sweep and sounds much better in my opinion.
The Fasel Inductor is available on Ebay for $10-$15.
If you're going to buy a new wah pedal I'd suggest the DB-01 Dimebag Darell Signature Crybaby, which has a wider range as well as a range selctor

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Cut the rubber heels both front and back.. Zakk Wylde did that.

+1

Was what i was going to recommend. Works wonders and is a must, before deciding circuit modifications are needed.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Never tinkered with a soldering iron before.

Alright then forget what I said. I wouldn't want you to go in there and start messing with stuff if you aren't comfortable doing so... I'd hate to have your crybaby's blood on my hands.

Definitely try cutting the feet and see if that does anything for you, maybe that little extra swing will give you what you're looking for.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
If you want to stick with Crybaby's, the Crybaby 95Q of 535Q have adjustable "Q" controls which affect the width of the sweep. Also, the 95Q is switchless which is a great feature in my opinion.

Last edited:

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
If you want to extend the upper/lower range at the expense of the other, ou can open up the wah and move the pot over a few teeth on the gear.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Yes, it can affect frequency and/or sweep range and/or sweep curve.

Yep, seems to have an effect on all three. Halving the value of the volume pot (50k) reduces that peak and pushes it over to about 1kHz... So I'm guessing you'd be left with a less pronounced "wah" effect with a different character (?), maybe making it feel less sensitive as well. Doubling the value of the volume pot (200k) does just about the opposite.