Is this what it costs to get good at guitar?

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sidebar is it worth blowing shit up or do we let suckers get taken :scratch:

OP you said you had one poor experience with a teacher - i can tell you havent actually put the work in to find a great one.
I found a great one but he‘s in Germany so we have to do the Lessons via Zoom. I live in a rural region and the only guitar teachers in the area are at that music school where I had my bad experience. I also have a friend who takes lessons from a guy nearby and from what he‘s telling me it‘s also not the kind of teacher I want to have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
There's a Nashville guitarist that charges:
* $262/hr for zoom lessons
* $525/hr for in person lessons
* $2362 for a meetngreet/experience type of deal, half day
* $3675 for the above but a full day
In this era of influencers, I see a lot of people offering courses/teaching to do what they do for aimless hopefuls across various interests/hobbies/professions, seems like it's lucrative.

And I hear you, OP, there's no guitar teachers in my area who do anything other than "this is how you hold a barre chord", but I don't pay hundreds/thousands despite that 😂 Like it's already been said, guitar (or anything) just takes practice and time.

Last edited:

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
* $2362/hr for a meetngreet/experience type of deal, half day
In this era of influencers, I see a lot of people offering courses/teaching to do what they do for aimless hopefuls across various interests/hobbies/professions, seems like it's lucrative.

And I hear you, OP, there's no guitar teachers in my area who do anything other than "this is how you hold a barre chord", but I don't pay hundreds/thousands despite that 😂 Like it's already been said, guitar (or anything) just takes practice and time.
Yeah I just posted this offer because I was confused. I would never spend that kind of money on a course or teacher. I pay 75€ atm and take one lesson a month sometimes one lesson in 6 weeks and text with him inbetween. That‘s already pretty pricey for me but seeing how much better I got since I started taking his lessons it‘s worth it for me

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
* $2362/hr for a meetngreet/experience type of deal, half day
charging double for in person lessons is crazy😂 also 3675 for one day? wtf

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I found a great one but he‘s in Germany so we have to do the Lessons via Zoom. I live in a rural region and the only guitar teachers in the area are at that music school where I had my bad experience. I also have a friend who takes lessons from a guy nearby and from what he‘s telling me it‘s also not the kind of teacher I want to have.
Ok but you dont actually know until you try a lesson with them. So try a lesson.

Try every teacher available, you may be surprised.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok but you dont actually know until you try a lesson with them. So try a lesson.

Try every teacher available, you may be surprised.
Yeah that leads to the next problem. Where do I find local guitar teachers except for the music school where you get waitlisted for a year before you can try and then you have to pay upfront for half a year of lessons?

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah that leads to the next problem. Where do I find local guitar teachers except for the music school where you get waitlisted for a year before you can try and then you have to pay upfront for half a year of lessons?
It really sounds like I‘m making excuses and yes I might be surprised but I don‘t know anyone in the area who plays guitar or teaches guitar. And then finding someone who knows how to teach me sth like AAL, Jason Richardson, Petrucci or similar stuff feels kind of impossible

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Every school makes you pay up front.

But you can interview with the teachers with your goals and expectations and see if any jive. 5-10m and shouldnt cost.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I feel like what I'm learning here is that I need to get into giving guitar lessons.

I wonder if the pricing of lessons is in part a sort of financial anchor to keep people from bailing on day 1 because it's not trivial to learn a new thing. I tried a few times teaching people how to play for the cost of a coffee and nobody ever stuck with it. I'd imagine sticking a financial barrier over top of it would weed out the folks who are just dabbling.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every school makes you pay up front.

But you can interview with the teachers with your goals and expectations and see if any jive. 5-10m and shouldnt cost.
That might be true, yes. But there‘s still the waitlist problem. Children are the priority of those schools and paying 500-600 for 10 lessons for a mediocre teacher to have in person lessons instead of my flexible plan with my teacher who is the perfect fit just doesn’t seem to be worth the hassle.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like what I'm learning here is that I need to get into giving guitar lessons.

I wonder if the pricing of lessons is in part a sort of financial anchor to keep people from bailing on day 1 because it's not trivial to learn a new thing. I tried a few times teaching people how to play for the cost of a coffee and nobody ever stuck with it. I'd imagine sticking a financial barrier over top of it would weed out the folks who are just dabbling.
yeah that‘s true if you pay 50€ you will want to make it worth it.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I haven't read all of this thread, but I started playing guitar because paintball was too expensive when I was ten. I'm not paying anyone for lessons, I know how to read and I'm not deaf. Most guitar teachers are shit at teaching anyways.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That might be true, yes. But there‘s still the waitlist problem. Children are the priority of those schools and paying 500-600 for 10 lessons for a mediocre teacher to have in person lessons instead of my flexible plan with my teacher who is the perfect fit just doesn’t seem to be worth the hassle.
You keep saying mediocre with having experienced one teacher :lol: when you were younger.

Im offering suggestions to supplement your online lessons. Do what you want.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The very premise of this thread is vague. What does good mean?

1) good enough to start a garage band playing punk songs?
2) good enough to have the fundamental skills to later put in more work on your own?
3) good enough to read sheet music?
4) good enough to make stoned gc employees say "fuck yeah!"
5) good enough to tap sweet sweep taps while sweeping tap sweeps sweetly?
6) good enough to get a Kiesel sig (couldn't resist)?

Try out a few local teachers. Buy a few cheap books (better: get from library). Put in lots of time. Have a long-term growth attitude. Practice every day.

I skimmed: what's your current level?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Most guitar teachers are shit at teaching anyways.
I've noticed a trend that it seems the folks who would be willing to pay big bucks for lessons are seeking "famous people" as their mentors. They may very well be very talented musicians and performers, but it's yet to be demonstrated that any of them are able to imbue their students with a comparable talent.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I did have one good guitar teacher in school, but he was a gigging guitarist. The other "music teachers" I had were all kind of shitty at everything. Teaching is an artform all on its own IME. Not something you see a lot of performance entertainment whores really gravitating towards.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I‘ve received an email from Giuseppe Gilardi on Saturday and I‘m at a loss for words. He got an online course called LMG (Learn Modern Guitar) and you basically apply for a slot. I got an email saying he opened 5 more slots in his program and for the first time he included the price. Apparently he normally charges €3000,- a MONTH and at the moment he got a special offer for ONLY €599,-. Am I the only one who finds those numbers completely mental or is that actually just a scam? Yeah you might get weekly reviews of the footage you post on the site but what?! Isn‘t a normal price for an only course like 40-60€ if it‘s subscription based? Is that what it costs to get good? Just want to hear everyone‘s thoughts on this. View attachment 146935

he is not that good to be charging those prices, extremely generic based on his channel imo, basic legato cheater with inconsistent note accents and length, if that's his limit on speed he needs lessons and under no circumstances should be charging 3000 and acting like it's some elite secret club.

the way he markets this looks like a daytrading course lmfao

i got lessons from baxty 50 an hour (zoom) which benefited me immensely and was very reasonable price wise, I easily would pay at least twice that for them from him

don't get me wrong gilardi is quite skilled but not anything amazing technique or otherwise that I would feel like I would be getting some "secret" or new information that would justify spending money.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Man...random LARPs on the internet really just pick up an Abasi-branded guitar and think that they are "teachers" nowadays because being a performing musician never panned out for them as far as a sustainable career, eh?
I'd argue being an influencer is a lot more sustainable than most performing musicians' careers nowadays!