It's Telecaster time, what makes a classic telecaster to you?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
What does the b-bender actually do? Also, paisley is a beast for sure.

Its a mechanical device on back of guitar usually that allows you to bend the B string. Also comes in G Bender and B+G Bender varieties. There’s also aftermarket ones that are kind of like the EVH DTuna and mount to the bridge. Basically they allow you to play a diatonic or chord and then bend the note up (or down) a whole step changing the chord.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Ah ok. I love the way teles sound and look, but that stuff is a huge NO for me. Even growing up in a tiny town in Texas where literally EVERYONE listens to country, I never could stand the stuff myself. I can appreciate talent though

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ok. I love the way teles sound and look, but that stuff is a huge NO for me. Even growing up in a tiny town in Texas where literally EVERYONE listens to country, I never could stand the stuff myself. I can appreciate talent though

what about these:

^dude’s a monster country player that rips finger tapping and 3NPS runs in this song. Plus... That Kiesel is fire.

^ Paisley playing everything but country? Too bad the camera work is shit at the end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Here's a half-assed photo of my new genetically modified Tele.
EDIT: Point is I guess, its Tele enough for me even though its missing a fixed ashtray and 45 other things not in common with an original design.

upload_2019-12-28_10-3-22.png

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
chiming in to say I really love the sc neck pickup tones on a stock american tele, nothing really sounds like them

is that the twisted tele neck pickup? Fender changed the american line, so there's no longer an "american standard" model. Performer, professional, original, ultra as of late :lol:.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe some more vintage rock n roll tele tunes instead of country? Listen to Roy killing it after 1:30 on Further On Up The Road in 1974...

efiltsohg

Reaction score
is that the twisted tele neck pickup? Fender changed the american line, so there's no longer an "american standard" model. Performer, professional, original, ultra as of late :lol:.

I mean the old American Standards and haven't been keeping track :shrug:

probably something current production sounds the same but I couldn't tell you what

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Some of my Peavey Teles... they all have flames maple necks:

upload_2019-12-28_23-20-36.jpeg
upload_2019-12-28_23-22-19.jpeg
upload_2019-12-28_23-21-29.jpeg
upload_2019-12-28_23-23-2.jpeg
upload_2019-12-28_23-24-26.jpeg

they come in every flavor. SH Active pickups, tele with piezo, and the first two are modern tele types with 14” radius. Also a SSS with strat switching type. The Omni I posted before has 5 way crazy switching with 2 strat (not tele) singles - you can select in series or parallel with caps to give you strat or tele tones, plus it has 10-14 compound radius and the neck profile radically changes at 12th fret from a round C to V, also with an extended depth neck after nut for string bending behind the nut.

Nevermind all my Fenders and Warmoth lol... I just really need that Andy Wood Suhr!

Last edited:

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
If I had the funds for a Tele it would be one that has the vintage brass saddles and single coil pickups. Classic Tele for me are those two features (brass saddles and 2 single coil pickups).

Although maybe not 'classic tele' in sound, anything Lari Basilio plays on her Fender Tele or Suhr T's is amazing to listen to.

EDIT:

Even better, Lari Basilio with Pete's Purple Custom Shop Tele:

Last edited:

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
To all others have said -> bolt on maple neck, no contoured body, Tele bridge and pickup

I just add "check carefully the body thickness". If you ever play a Tele that looks and feels like a Tele but doesn't sound like a Tele just check the thickness of the body and then you will find what's wrong... Body thickness is crucial.
My Tele has a 36mm body, arm bevel and 16" radius. Still sounds like a Tele...

patdavidmusic

Reaction score
Champion, every single one of you,

My goodness I have spent the last hour listening to the suggested clips, reading your responses and learning more.

I do agree with both sides of the argument here though, a telecaster can be whatever you want it to be but if you're after that classic vintage vibe there's a few rules to follow (in my eyes anyway)

I can't thank you all enough but still.....thank you!

Final verdict
I'm thinking I'll go down the heavily modding a Japanese telecaster route
I'll just need to play a few this week and look into alder vs ash,

I'll keep this thread and when I've got the guitar and the modding begins I'll post photos and videos of the whole process,

Thank you again for all your help!

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I love a good traditional tele. I remember borrowing my friend's American Special for my first solo album and ended up using it all over the place. I realised I needed that sound in my arsenal. Ended up getting the Talman tele-esque models, which isn't the same but it works for me in a live setting. Thankfully the studio I frequent has a Fender US tele on standby that I've already used a fair bit.

And agreed with everyone saying the traditional specs like lack of contour, 21-22 frets, single coils etc, are part of the appeal. Though I'd love to own a thinline one day. I remember playing one at another studio with a 4 way switch and humbucker in the neck, and it was just wonderful.

Also an interesting quote from Joe Satriani:

The Telecaster is the one electric guitar you can never dominate, really. There are guys who come close, but most of the time, it has its way with you.

To an extent I agree. It's such a naked instrument and you have little or nothing to hide behind. After playing RGs with humbuckers and trems, every time I go back to a tele or the Talman, it puts me right back down to the ground. :lol:

Also Satch with a Tele:

patdavidmusic

Reaction score
Damn.. now it's too late for me to post my tele... :(

Be sure to put up a NGD post. Hope you getcha a good one!

Dude you're welcome to keep this thread going, I'll be posting parts and bits and pieces as I pick them up I'd love to see your tele

I love a good traditional tele. I remember borrowing my friend's American Special for my first solo album and ended up using it all over the place. I realised I needed that sound in my arsenal. Ended up getting the Talman tele-esque models, which isn't the same but it works for me in a live setting. Thankfully the studio I frequent has a Fender US tele on standby that I've already used a fair bit.

And agreed with everyone saying the traditional specs like lack of contour, 21-22 frets, single coils etc, are part of the appeal. Though I'd love to own a thinline one day. I remember playing one at another studio with a 4 way switch and humbucker in the neck, and it was just wonderful.

Also an interesting quote from Joe Satriani:

To an extent I agree. It's such a naked instrument and you have little or nothing to hide behind. After playing RGs with humbuckers and trems, every time I go back to a tele or the Talman, it puts me right back down to the ground. :lol:

Also Satch with a Tele:

I had no idea that Satch song was with a tele, great find thank you!