I've tried a lot of guitar picks and I can't find one I'm 100% happy with...

• Thread starter Bandersnatch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

X1X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just bought the 2mm version of the Prodigy and also a standard 2mm version (it initially feels that it's a little more natural to tilt the standard version a little more when playing, might be my new favorite, we'll see). The 2mm feels more sturdy too, maybe it's less bendy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
for the longest time i was a jazzIII tortex kinda guy (back when i was exclusively shredboi), but for the past few of years i started playing other genres and eventually found them too small and i always had too hold it super hard in order for it not too slip, when playing soft open chords and such. i couldn't return to full size picks (habit, i guess).

i found the Dunlop John Petrucci Flow. its a bit larger than a jIII, but not full size, thickness and material i found to be very comfortable. so yeah, been using those ever since.
you do have to scratch them quite a bit on the sides, cause brand new they're slippery. so I guess that would take away from the 100%?

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
I would definitely check out the dunlop ultex sharp. The Hetfield black fang is really good too.

wakjob

Reaction score
Anyone try 'Blue Chip' picks?

Spoiler...they are not blue :lol:

Kobalt

Reaction score
Anyway... the reason I've been trying so many picks is because I'm getting older. It's getting harder for me to comfortably play for hours on end (which I do) with a Jazz III. I've noticed that with the bigger sized picks where there's more to hold on to, I don't get this problem.

1. Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black Jazz III 1.14mm
Pretty much the gold standard for anyone playing metal. What I like about it is that it's a great feel in between the fingers and gets just enough of the string to feel like pick attack isn't a problem. Not an overly loud pick noise. What I don't like is the size. It just doesn't work for me anymore and the hand cramping is real trying to hold on to this thing when your hands get even a little clammy. Even under ideal circumstances, it still starts to hurt after a while.
Next stop, Tortex Jazz III XL 1.14mm, then.

If this is your favourite pick, try the upsized version. You also say you like the T3 which is even bigger than a Jazz XL, so the latter is your midway point in the Tortex lineup. Also,I've noticed that despite Dunlop stating the T3 has the same point as a Jazz, when you put them on top of each other you realize they are slightly different, so maybe that's your issue with the T3.

I understand the Jazz III XL Black didn't do good in comparison, but the gauge (1.38mm) and material ("Stiffo") are different so there really are no comparisons to make.

At least, that's my opinion.

Reaction score
Next stop, Tortex Jazz III XL 1.14mm, then.

If this is your favourite pick, try the upsized version. You also say you like the T3 which is even bigger than a Jazz XL, so the latter is your midway point in the Tortex lineup. Also,I've noticed that despite Dunlop stating the T3 has the same point as a Jazz, when you put them on top of each other you realize they are slightly different, so maybe that's your issue with the T3.

I understand the Jazz III XL Black didn't do good in comparison, but the gauge (1.38mm) and material ("Stiffo") are different so there really are no comparisons to make.

At least, that's my opinion.

Well, sort of. I got the Jazz III XL Tortex in 1.5mm today. The same problem existed on them as with the Stiffo XL. The point was completely different to the normal Jazz III. It just wasn't pointy enough and rubbed around on the string....

So I took it to the orbital sander and put a pointy point on one of them.

Hallelujah the tortex XLs became usable. So then I did it with a T3, a gator grip (2mm) standard, primetone 1.5, XL stiffo and a bunch of other picks including the Chickenpicks Shredder. I sat playing for about two hours just going between all of them and really ended up liking them all with how much of the string they got. I've landed on the Chickenpicks Shredder as my favorite. It's a thicc boy at 3.5mm but that means I'm not gripping nearly as hard as with anything thinner than 2mm. I also really like the density of the material. It's a solid feeling pick. The gator grip felt really good as well but grinding a usable bevel on that one was kind of tricky. The same problem exists for the Chickenpicks Shredder since it's so thick that it requires a bevel, but I can attest to the durability of the material because I've been using my Badazz for the last year or so and it hasn't lost its point. Having to grind a bevel once every year won't be so bad with the Chickenpick whereas I would have to do it more often with the gator grip just because the material wears faster. Happy-medium I guess.

I still have the gravity and V-picks on the way but they won't be here for a while. Still going to give those a fair shot, but for now, the grinded Shredders are going to be my pick of choice... glad I already had two of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would definitely check out the dunlop ultex sharp. The Hetfield black fang is really good too.
1. We get it, you like the ultex sharp. This is your third reply to this thread about it.
2. It is abundantly clear you didn't even bother to read the list. Your beloved pick is already on it.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Idk man. If you can't play with an ultex sharp, maybe you just need to practice more. In fact, if you can't play with that whole list of picks, I don't think the picks are the problem.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Idk man. If you can't play with an ultex sharp, maybe you just need to practice more. In fact, if you can't play with that whole list of picks, I don't think the picks are the problem.
Huge assumption, however I honestly wouldn't disagree...but only because that's the conclusion or realization I came to with my own playing. I've been in those shoes before, and still am to this day - never fully happy with whichever pick I decide to use...

Reaction score
Just because I didn't like your preferred pick, doesn't mean I "can't" play with it, it just means I prefer not to. Same goes for the others. See another previous reply of mine where I sanded down some of them. I prefer picks with a standard pick shape, but aggressive point.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If the size, tip, and tone of the Tortex Sharp is right for you, it may be worth trying more thicknesses and variations on that style to see if that helps with the pinch harmonics. I've used a few different thicknesses of the Tortex Sharp over the years and landed on the green .88mm ones as a good balance of tone and rigidity :2c:

Someone else already brought it up, but you might enjoy the Jeff Loomis picks since they're based around the Sharps he used for many years.

Reaction score
If the size, tip, and tone of the Tortex Sharp is right for you, it may be worth trying more thicknesses and variations on that style to see if that helps with the pinch harmonics. I've used a few different thicknesses of the Tortex Sharp over the years and landed on the green .88mm ones as a good balance of tone and rigidity :2c:

Someone else already brought it up, but you might enjoy the Jeff Loomis picks since they're based around the Sharps he used for many years.
Sanded down the Jazz III XL Torrez pics to a more aggressive point and they work better, but I did the same to the chickenpicks Shredder and liked it more than the Jazz III XLs. The Tortex sharp only highlighted that I like a very pointy point on a pick. The shape of the Torrez sharp just didn't work for me. So for now I'm going to use the sanded Chickenpicks Shredder.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Does the pick become an issue in the first 5m or after 2+ hours?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

Both. It's gotta feel right when you first start and after 2 hours.

- I like the Clayton Acetal 1mm. Ultimate multi-purpose pick for me but they only last about 2 hours with heavy or shred playing. Then they become blue's jazz or acoustic only type picks.
- Black Ravens last longer like Tortex and sound less synthetic too but are much darker sounding (noticably).

Reaction score
It's typically within a few minutes with normal Jazz III style picks that my hand begins to cramp and index and middle knuckles begin to hurt. I played for about an hour tonight with the Chickenpick Shredder and there was no pain. The Jazz XL size seems to be a winner.

Reaction score
You just got to give it some time. It will grow on you.
Yeah that's not going to happen. I spent a minimum of two weeks and up to several years using each pick on that list and Ultex doesn't even crack top 5 materials. If you have a recommendation for something other than an Ultex pick, I may give it a go. Otherwise, save your keystrokes.

Latest posts