Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Question for the Jacksophiles or those who may have the info: How are the JS series guitars you've played?

My more recent playing experiences with the lower import Jacksons has been pretty bad, but I haven't played any of these. I want a V to experiment with, and the JS32 Rhoads looks like one of cheapest and most immediately available options.

I wouldn't be expecting greatness, but I would rather skip it if the guitar won't be more than simply functional. "Good for what it is" or slightly above average would be nice.
I have a JS42 (sold at some retailers) and it’s one of my favorite guitars. The neck like everyone said is pretty solid. I had to do a few things to make it enjoyable to play.

Fix bridge grounding by removing the non conductive paint on the bridge in a few places.

Swap out the totally garbage tuners.

Minor fret dressing.

Put a JB in the bridge.

After all that junk it’s my favorite guitar to beat on daily for practice. It feels like a cheap piece of junk, but that makes it light and nice to play for hours. Also great tuning stability in this model since it uses a hard tail Hipshot knock off. I would go with a hard tail model. I am sure the cheap trem models are annoying to keep in tune.

It’s seriously my favorite neck, it makes me want to try the more expensive Jackson stuff.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
I have a JS42 (sold at some retailers) and it’s one of my favorite guitars. The neck like everyone said is pretty solid. I had to do a few things to make it enjoyable to play.

Fix bridge grounding by removing the non conductive paint on the bridge in a few places.

Swap out the totally garbage tuners.

Minor fret dressing.

Put a JB in the bridge.

After all that junk it’s my favorite guitar to beat on daily for practice. It feels like a cheap piece of junk, but that makes it light and nice to play for hours. Also great tuning stability in this model since it uses a hard tail Hipshot knock off. I would go with a hard tail model. I am sure the cheap trem models are annoying to keep in tune.

It’s seriously my favorite neck, it makes me want to try the more expensive Jackson stuff.
Try to get a hold of a japanese dinky, DKMG, DXMG, DK2 etc. Basically the same neck profile (others might be thinner) but way better quality and they feel more solid by miles. I personally love the ivoroid binding on those also.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Try to get a hold of a japanese dinky, DKMG, DXMG, DK2 etc. Basically the same neck profile (others might be thinner) but way better quality and they feel more solid by miles. I personally love the ivoroid binding on those also.
Definitely keeping an eye out for a MIJ dinky.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i can't believe they sell those new USA in soft bag...I'd rather find a old USA or MIJ used....

EVH did the same thing. The Specials (MIM) were 899 and came with the TSA EVH branded case and SS frets. Now they are nickel and the case is sold separately. Same with the 5150 Series (Kramer looking) models.

The Relics and Star at least come with the soft, barely padded gig bags lol.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
These fancy bags are so much easier to lug around. I guess a case would protect better against a truly hard impact or having things stacked on top of this, though.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Not be be abrupt, I'm genuinely curious, why?
I don't buy it. I do keep a nice mono bag for when I go to jam with my buddies with one strat-type guitar but I still prefer a true hard case for my guitars, especially my pointy ones like my Dimebag ML and Stealth, Jackson Kelly. When you spend thousands of dollars on a guitar you should get a hard case. /oldmanrant

I guess it depends on where you will be transporting them. If they're never going to leave your house maybe but even then what if you move and have to put them in a moving truck?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I do see my hard cases as pretty invaluable. It's basically their home since I kind of swap them out of the spotlight week to week or so. If there's something better out there or a better way to do things I want to know about it, though.