Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

cip 123

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know if there are any of the old 80's charvel/jacksons with maple or ebony boards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fastmerc

Reaction score
know any specific models?

All i'm finding is Roeswood and I just don't get along with that at all.

Model 1, 1a, 1c, model 4, 375 deluxe, model 7, fusion deluxe can be found with maple boards.

Various USA models will have maple or ebony as most were custom ordered back then.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap. Never owned a Sig guitar, but I WILL have one of these. That snake guitar was up there with Lynch's Kami as my dream guitar back in the 80's.

EDITED: Oh. Just realized that Charvel is using Fender's new MSRP=much closer to reality system, so this will be a MIM Charvel at almost $2K. That just entered the "list of crap that ain't happening" for me. Not a MIM hater, I've just yet to feel any MIM guitar worth that kind of dough.

Might want to check your research, they're going to be $1399 retail. Here they are for preorder at Sam Ash.

Charvel Warren DeMartini Signature Snake Pro Mod Electric Guitar

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
^^ Maybe try an 81-X in the bridge sometime? I still haven't tried out the EMG X pickups yet myself, but I hear they typically "solve" most of the perceived shortcomings of EMG's most popular models.

That's a nice axe too...I often find myself wishing I had snagged an SLSMG before they were discontinued.
I've never had the chance to use any of the X models. Would love to try them in this though, both the 81x & 85x. If you want one, I recommend still getting one used, it's a great guitar, especially for the price. I paid $400 at Guitar Center for mine and if the tag on it didn't say used and I didn't know they had been discontinued for a couple years, I would have assumed it was new. It was in absolutely flawless condition. I've seen new guitars in worse shape. In addition to it being my first guitar with active pickups, it's also my first neck thru(and won't be the last). I've never used any other neck-thrus other than one of a friends many years ago. I know the upper fret access is excellent with them, but have been wondering if it's typically this good or if Soloists have particularly good access even for a neck thru.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Thanks for that. $1399 is a bit better, but still steep. I'll see if I can check one out somewhere local. At $1400, I may be able to mentally justify it.

And for us Europeans - thomann.de lists it for about a 1000 euros (under a grand from session.de!), but it's listed as "not yet available" and coming around early May. I mailed them and they're not committing to that price either.. so depending on currency fluctuations etc. I'm fearing it might be somewhere around 1200-1300 euros eventually. :/

If they bump the price and the new dave murray sig is notably cheaper I've got a problem at my hands. :D

DeepSixed

Reaction score
Here's my modest family, in order of Acquisition

RR5FR Rhoads:

100_1860.jpg

It was my dog's birthday when these were the stupid deal of the day, so what better way to celebrate?

JS23 Dinky:

9a8c5430-98b1-4d41-ba9c-0c6ff4851016.png

This is a surprisingly nice guitar for the $89 I paid for it new. I wanted something with a Jackson compound radius neck as a dedicated Eb guitar to leave out on a stand to play Rocksmith with. Trem is useless, but pickups are surprisingly decent.

SD-1 Pro Mod Super Stock:

image-2.jpg

As soon as I saw these I knew I was in trouble. My wife didn't, but she soon learned.

latest addition (just a couple weeks ago) DST-1 Star:

image_1.jpg

Always wanted a Star and never had a guitar with EMGs, so when MF had these for $299, I had to pull the trigger. I've seen mixed reviews on Desolations, but I'm plenty happy with this one for that price. There's some filler around the inlays and the transition from painted body to unpainted neck isn't very elegant, but setup/playing-wise she's A-OK. After a couple weeks with EMGs I see why Zakk Wylde is such a pinch harmonic fiend. They just fly out of these.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
^^^ Nice bunch. Yeah, the Deso Stars are awesome, there must've been some real dogs for the amount of criticism they got but mine is incredible. I'm most likely gonna use it to record our next album.

vividox

Reaction score
Hello all, thought I may as well come join the party. I've got two Jacksons:

DKMG (2002; black)
Back when they came with those awful 20 Db boost knobs. I was 17 when I got it and it was my first 'real' guitar. It was also the only guitar I played for 12 years, so it has some crazy miles on it. After around 7 or 8 years, I decided to graduate from EMG-HZs, got some green DiMarzio Evolutions, and pulled the 20 Db boost and all the active pickup / battery wiring. The back wiring panel has actually been so heavily used that the old screw holes were stripped and I had to jump up to a higher gauge screw just to keep the plate from falling off. Also went thru a (drastically needed) fret dress last year. Still such a solid guitar even after all the abuse.

DK7-M (2014; metallic black)
Had it about six weeks now. First seven string. Absolutely loving it. As solid as the DKMG is, jumping up to the Pro Series level is a dramatic difference. Not of fan of the Seymour Duncan Distortions, so I'll be putting in a green D-Activator and LiquiFire early next week.

I'll try to get some pictures up next week once I have the new PUPs installed.

Attachments

• 20150220_081342.jpg
    20150220_081342.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 870
  • 20150220_081509.jpg
    20150220_081509.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 35

MetalHeadMat

Jackson/Charvel Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I just picked up this guy the other day... It's a 1996 Jackson Dinky DK1. My first USA made guitar! I've been trying to get this guitar for yeeeeeears, and I finally got it for an absolute steal! Anyways, onto the pics:

Botijo

Reaction score
Hi all, guys.
1008958_435089679955017_844498987_o.jpg

10855081_628926863904630_8697513685294015165_o.jpg

Fisrt pic, from left to right: Charvel 5fx, Charvel 650, Jackson Stars SL128 (now is red), Grover Jackson SL-P 80, Jackson Stars JPSL 170, Jackson Dinky Reverse, Jackson DR5 and Chavel Fusion Plus. Bottom, Jackson Stars RR138 and Grover Jackson RR-D 120.

Second pic: The DR5, the JPSL 170, Grover Jackson Soloist Custom, Jackson Stars JI-SL 215 and Grover Jackson Soloist Reverse.

Ops, "Little blue" is not in the pics. This is a Grover Jackson SL-cu 90 HH. Here it is:
988446_459162547547730_358363534_n.jpg

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
^^^
Nice!
Got any solo shots of that blue one? It looks like a very unique and cool finish.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
I've been part of this club for a few years now but since I just got a second one I figured that I'd post. Apologies for the ass picture but the lighting isn't too great in here ATM:

fS8TGDB.jpg

Both of these are Jackson/Charvel in name only in that they were serious project guitars when I got them. They're both MIJ and I actually, y'know, got professional help when I needed it and did a GOOD job this time around as I haven't in the past. STORY TIME!

The blue Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas is the one that I put together a few years ago. Some company on eBay parts these guitars out so I purchased a body and neck. I had a plywood-bodied Kramer that I bought from a used music shop that had a bad truss rod. I unfortunately only found this out after having removed stickers from the body and disassembling it so I just ate the purchase, but it did provide me with an OG fine tunerless Floyd which you now see on the guitar (after swapping the trem collar and the sustain block). I put an ebanol nut on there for ease of tuning and some locking tuners and in place of the Duncan pups I opted for GFSes. Guitar originally had a black/blue color scheme but I was inspired by an Atari poster that I had in my office and went with the blue/white instead and I'm glad that I did. The sustain block is thick enough that I can set the trem to be dive-only with it being nearly parallel to the body so that's what I did.

The red Fusion has been something like 9 months in the making now. I bought it last year on eBay, at which time it was painted black, had stainless steel frets (still does) and a custom-made black powdercoated pickguard loaded with a single DiMarzio Evo in the bridge. I took the pickguard off and sent it away to get refinished since my go-to luthier was having a sale on refins. He took his sweet time on it and I got it back sometime in December. Since then I've had one roadblock or another but this past week I finally got it re-assembled and wired up. It has a Wilde (eg the REAL Bill Lawrence) L-500L in the bridge, an L-45 in the neck and an EMG cover in the middle as a dummy. Had I been a bit more savvy I might have gotten the middle cavity filled but at least this way I have the option of going 5-way down the road. I also outfitted it with a Tremol-no since I detest floating trems. In hindsight I should have put a dive-only tremstop in there, and that's a certainty. C'est la vie.