Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Hello everyone! The Jackson Concorde is the most controversial guitar I've ever seen! I want to share all the information that I was able to find on the various models produced in the USA and Japan.

Haven't ever thought of the Concorde as controversial. Growing up it was always a really highly sought after shape in my community.

Great video. Going back to watch the kelly star one now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
Thank you very much Ataraxia2320! I'm actually making a video series about the most famous guitars ever produced, so if you have any request or particular interest, just let me know! Sorry for the late answer, I think I have some issues with notifications from this board.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I always thought the Concorde layout was cool when I first got into Jackson, and that they were missing out on making it after so long.

All that's missing from them now is making a 7 string version, even an 8 string version. Same could be said for the Kelly shape (past a few old discontinued offerings) that I've been a fan of for years, but I digress.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Placed an order for a Black and Yellow RRX24 through Ikabe Gakki the other day, should ship out this week. Even with the ridiculous 300 USD shipping cost, it still ended up being only around ~100 more expensive than the retail price here in Australia (and for some reason Fender is only shipping the Red and Black model to local dealers). There were a few used MIJ Rhoads at that price point through Ishibashi (a RR-J2 and a Grover Jackson Professional), but I can't stand pickguards. Hoping to add a WRX24M to my collection as well when there's no longer a 4 months backorder on them.

Ibanez's regular Indonesian line is Cort, but Premium is an unknown, dedicated factory allegedly. Jackson's Pro is mostly Samick, with some models being Cort. I have a Samick Pro King V from 2016 stamped USED with the sticker serial number indicating refurbished, but I can't tell what was supposed to be wrong with it.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Yeah I have actually been guilty of that to a large extent, and was actively recommending against Indo Jacksons for a while (and I'll stand by it for pretty much all the pre-2017 guitars I tried). But IMO the difference is night and day now. Very much like what happened to Ibanez Premium actually.

Curious if it's a general tightening of the tolerances and QA process at build time in Indonesia (not even sure if they are from the same factories), or if both brands got some flak for their quality and decided to up their setup and selection/inspection processes (I've seen an anecdotal uptick in B-stock/2nds/refurb Jacksons if that's any indication) ... but until proven otherwise, I'm now pretty convinced at least.

Might have to spring for an Indo SL7 or a DK7 for a second 7 string to add to my SLAT3-7 if these do hold up better now. Though, I already have two black guitars and don't need any more. Maybe once there are some more finishes available.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Northern Light Soloist looks gorgeous, one of the best finish Jackson is offering nowadays on the imports. I'm really tempted to sell off one of my MIJ DK2 for one

mbardu

Reaction score
The Northern Light Soloist looks gorgeous, one of the best finish Jackson is offering nowadays on the imports. I'm really tempted to sell off one of my MIJ DK2 for one

See if you can check Northern Lights in person, ideally on the actual guitar if possible.
There's quite a lot of variation, and not all are great.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's a 6 string version at a store locally that looks pretty good, and two up for sale interstate (though the listing are kinda sketchy). 1800 AUD new is a bit iffy though, used USAs when they do show up here go for 2-2.5k, there's a SL2H in EDS for 2.5k

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
So much guitar pr0n in this thread. I think my contribution disappeared with my photobucket account back in the day. I'll have to take a new family photo once my old Dinky gets back from a stainless refret.

Have any of you fine fellows noticed that the SL2H has disappeared from the Jackson website? It's just odd that they still have the SL1 on there. Granted, it's not like the "USA Select" series really exists anymore anyway, they're just base models on which to spec a custom at this point and they aren't even really in "production" anymore.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Also, anyone know how the newer pro series has been? Especially since they're now making them seemingly all over the place from Indonesia, Korea, and a small number of them in China. It also seems like they didn't produce the Dinkies in Mexico for very long at all, and changed the heel shape. I've heard though that a lot of the QC issues have been ironed out over time. Any truth to this?

I owned a very very early Indonesian SL2 in trans red with a quilt top. It looked fantastic, but had some small annoyances with regard to fit and finish. The kind of stuff I wouldn't have cared about on a used guitar, but it was new so it went bye bye.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Also, anyone know how the newer pro series has been? Especially since they're now making them seemingly all over the place from Indonesia, Korea, and a small number of them in China. It also seems like they didn't produce the Dinkies in Mexico for very long at all, and changed the heel shape. I've heard though that a lot of the QC issues have been ironed out over time. Any truth to this?

I owned a very very early Indonesian SL2 in trans red with a quilt top. It looked fantastic, but had some small annoyances with regard to fit and finish.
pro series is hit or miss ime. Some are prettty good and some are meh where they need some setup TLC and fretwork. Finish works seemed good. Overall quality is definitely better this year versus the last couple, at least based off the couple of stores in my area I frequent. I managed to get my grubby hands on most of the lineup from this year.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
pro series is hit or miss ime. Some are prettty good and some are meh where they need some setup TLC and fretwork. Finish works seemed good. Overall quality is definitely better this year versus the last couple, at least based off the couple of stores in my area I frequent. I managed to get my grubby hands on most of the lineup from this year.

Gotcha. Fretwork is almost kind of a given for anything I buy anyway so that doesn't really bother me if something needs it. Though, my old SL2 had some chips in the finish along the edge of the fretboard kind of high up, and the binding bulged out near some of the frets, like the tang hadn't been clipped deep enough when they were installed. All fixable, but I didn't feel like the effort when I found an old DK2M on reverb. The MIM Dinkies were pretty much universally good, so it's kind of a bummer that those disappeared.

Hopefully things are getting more consistent. I'd jump at an SL7 is they had them in something more appealing than just black. I might think about a used SL7M because at least the maple board would be somewhat more interesting.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
It's an old picture. I'll take a new family photo once I get my DXMG back from its refret :agreed:

IMG-20180522-173712697-HDR.jpg

Mathemagician

Reaction score

I owned a very very early Indonesian SL2 in trans red with a quilt top. It looked fantastic, but had some small annoyances with regard to fit and finish. The kind of stuff I wouldn't have cared about on a used guitar, but it was new so it went bye bye.

Play it in person, or order from where you can easily return it. So a bigger chain or a good online store.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Its still mostly Indonesia for everything, and Mexico for Dinky. The Korean and Chinese stuffs are specific production, Korea is making the swamp ash body stuffs (as opposed to Ash top like the WR7 and the older Dinky Ash), and China the crackle/swirl finishes, and Gus G Star IIRC. I'm in Australia so what I can pick up and play at a store is fairly limited (only mom and pop stores, and they only order in a few guitars at most), but what I've seen has been pretty good. There was an Indonesian Dinky pointed out here, but the one I've seen on Reverb and eBay in that finish had a MXJ serial, so it might've been a one-off or a mislabel or something, Mexican serial are on a sticker and Indonesian are stamped. The one I've seen here at stores has a MXJ19/MXJ20 serial, so its still current production