Jackson DK-7 COW Model

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Features:

The DK7 is a pretty straight-forward setup, but has great features where it counts. Mahogany makes up both the body and neck. The fretboard is slick ebony with no inlays (just how I like it). It has a single EMG 707 pickup in the bridge. Hard-Tail. Reverse headstock. Single volume knob, no tone (!). The only thing that could be better here, would be better tuners. The tuners are nice, but I like Sperzels/Schallers. But, for $699 for an instrument of this quality, there's no room for complaints. Also, this guitar is flat out sexy. The pictures online really don't do it justice, seeing it at angles is especially flattering, which the pics below should show somewhat (although my digicam blows).

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Sound:

As many of you know, I've never been a big fan of EMG pickups. I've owned several guitars with 707s loaded, such as a Custom USA Schecter Sunset, a Custom KVK 7-String V, and an M307. In some it sounded nice, in others it sounded completely lifeless. This makes me think perhaps these are made inconsistently. Regardless, I got lucky with this one. The pickup actually sounds pretty damn cool. It has a very warm growly tone, with adequate bite. I still don't like how processed EMGs sound, or the dynamics, but it can be a fun change of pace. I don't know if I'd want this to be my only guitar, but it definitely sounds great and shreds - superb harmonics and roar. I like it.

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Playability:

This is where I was most surprised. Being an avid Ibanez/EBMM fan, I find most other 7-strings to have really fat necks (ESP and Schecter come to mind especially). The neck on the DK7 is no Ibanez, but it's definitely in the realm of comfort and speed. The fretwork is phenominal, and pulling off complex stuff is effortless. The frets seem to be quite large, making legato work even more effortless. The bottom line is, this guitar is fun to play. It was setup absolutely flawlessly by the tech at DrumCityGuitarLand, who tuned it to my specs (Bb tuning, 10-56 strings).

Rating :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Value:

At $699, to get a Japanese made guitar (from excellent luthiers, these aren't faceless Indonesians), with a real ebony fretboard, quality electronics/components, etc... you can't go wrong. The only "downside" is that it's a bolt-on, but that really isn't a negative at all, because the resonance and sustain of this guitar is phenominal, and the neck-joint isn't nearly as bad as it looks. I feel like this guitar is a superior value than the ESP SC-607 models, which cost upwards of $900 and have rosewood boards.

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Overall::

I really love this guitar. If these pickups are your thing, you'll be in heaven. It looks, sounds, and plays great - and won't break the bank. The bad reviews this guitar got on Harmony-Central turned me off from this guitar for a long time, now I realize those guys were morons (they complained because the guitar was too light, as if that's a bad thing). Only having one pickup and all that isn't for everyone, but if you want a straight-forward metal axe to grind out pummeling riffs and blistering leads with, the DK7 delivers.

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Studio%209-19-06%20021.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Great review! Now I want one even more dammit! :) :yesway:

I didn't know these were that cheap.

Yeah, most places list them at 729.99.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Maybe :) I've wanted one of these for a REALLY long time though, and I don't think I could really even get a decent amount for it if I sold it.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Great review. :yesway:

Adding a tone knob is an easy mod, since that thing has the same huge control cavity that my Stars does. This should give you a good idea of a comfortable place to locate the extra knob. With my guitar, the original was in a very Friedman-esque spot. So, I made it the tone, and added a push/pull for the new volume knob. The JB-7 sounds great tapped.

If you ever decided that you can't live with the EMG, but still love the guitar, you can get the pickup ring I used from Frets on the Net. Just drop Dave a line and ask for the 7-string EMG to passive conversion ring I used.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
those things look great, i think ive seen pictures of the guy playing a red version of that (possibly a V) and that was pretty damn sweet too... awesome review to

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score
You could always get it routed for a neck pickup too if you were so inclined - Jackson's blank ebony boards are sexy though, I had one on an old Soloist that I regret selling now.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
aldog1330 said:
You could always get it routed for a neck pickup too if you were so inclined - Jackson's blank ebony boards are sexy though, I had one on an old Soloist that I regret selling now.

If I pick one up, I'll probably do that, and strip and oil the back of the neck. Self-customization = cool. ;)

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I really like the COW i tried to pick one up last september when i had a vacation in Orlando but could'nt get one shipped in time, just out of interest do you know how much the thru neck COW's are? With a bit of luck i'll be able to pick one up this september when I fly out to Orlando again.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't really think it's really worth it anymore. I've always liked neck-thrus, and have owned dozens of them, but my recent adventures with Ibanez, Music Mans, a Custom Shop Schecter and this Jackson have made me realize its not really a big deal. If I was building a custom guitar would I have it neck-thru? Of course. But it's definitely not something I miss. I still get all the punch and sustain I ever got, and in the case of the Ibanez and MM the upper fret access is the same. Bottom line is, neck-thrus are of course cooler, but the neck-thru version of this DCGL charges for $4,000 is not worth it over $699 just because its neck-thru (yes it's made in the USA, but Japanese luthiers are no slouches).

As for the mods you speak of, thanks for the info about the pickup rings, I may do that at some point. I don't want a tone knob or neck pickup though. I like it the way it is, very cool and simple. I have my other guitars for neck pickups. This won't be my main axe or anything.

After another week or so of playing this, I'd like to add that this guitar balances very well. Not quite as well as the Ibanez or Petrucci, but close. Also the little contours that are hard to see in pics because it's all black are very sexy looking and add to its playability. I also really dig the headstock. I've NEVER been a fan of reverse headstocks but now my tune has definitely changed.

And for hell of it, here's a pic when the flash failed to go off. Looks kinda cool anyways:

dk7f.jpg

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, the one at DCGL is $3100, last I asked.

Is there a difference? I guarantee it. Is it worth the price difference? Only the player can decide. The black COW is not as overpriced as it was originally - the prices I saw when it came out were about $100 higher - but the camo one's ridiculous. I wish they offered the red that his USA one is...

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Yeah, that "camo" is lame. Simple red like the one you said would rule the school. I've been wanting a 6 string of this guitar for a while myself. Luckily, it's cheap too so I should have it by mid next month.

I wish that I could just make money and not have to pay rent, bills, and food. :mad:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Actually, the one at DCGL is $3100, last I asked.

Is there a difference? I guarantee it. Is it worth the price difference? Only the player can decide. The black COW is not as overpriced as it was originally - the prices I saw when it came out were about $100 higher - but the camo one's ridiculous. I wish they offered the red that his USA one is...

I've had USA Jacksons and played Custom Shop ones as well, there is not enough difference to justify $699 to $4100. I'm sorry that's just crazy.

1325.jpg

977.jpg

I'm sure that one is a bit nicer, but for $4099? Give me a break. They have the same exact specs, woods, everything. The only difference is one is bolt-on, and one has sperzels. Not even the biggest Custom Shop Jackson fan can say the difference in quality is worth that kind of discrepancy in price. I'm sure the USA handmade one is made a little better, but from having many handmade Customs and having this DK7, I can say for sure the difference is MINUTE.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
$4099
$3100
I dont care! For a 1 hum, 1 vol., no inlay, solid colour = NEVER!

LTD could make that and sell it for $600. Then you'd have to get a fret job, but still make out like a bandit.

You know what? I just noticed that the carvings are a tad deeper on the USA. USA Price justified! :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
II'm sure that one is a bit nicer, but for $4099? Give me a break. They have the same exact specs, woods, everything. The only difference is one is bolt-on, and one has sperzels. Not even the biggest Custom Shop Jackson fan can say the difference in quality is worth that kind of discrepancy in price. I'm sure the USA handmade one is made a little better, but from having many handmade Customs and having this DK7, I can say for sure the difference is MINUTE.

I stand by what I said - it's up to the player to decide if the difference is worth it. I play a USA CS Jackson 7 every day, so my opinion is obviously different than yours.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nah it's pretty much the same. Anyways this isnt about whether you'd want one or not, it's just comparing two nearly identical guitars by two quality craftman... not a Custom Shop to Koreans or anything.

eaeolian said:
I stand by what I said - it's up to the player to decide if the difference is worth it. I play a USA CS Jackson 7 every day, so my opinion is obviously different than yours.

No, your opinion is the same as mine. No one would take those two guitars, and buy the Custom Shop one, unless they were just so rich that it didn't matter. I understand often the USA CS ones are superior to even standard USA models, but in this case the quality is so similar, all the features basically identical, that no sane person would pay an extra $3300 just because it was a CS piece instead of made in Japan. You could just put on your own sperzels and save yourself $3200.

It's a moot point anyways, because for well below those prices you could have Jackson (or anyone else) build your own Cusom Shop anyways.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
God Hand Apostle said:
$4099
$3100

For that price, you could order anything (within reason, abalone flames down the fretboard would make it more) you wanted from the Jackson CS, wait 18 months for it, and own a guitar you'd probably never sell - provided you knew yourself well enough to spec out exactly what you wanted. As true "custom" guitars go, that's really not bad, price-wise.

Someday, someone who's a big enough FF fan - or just wants a one-hum 7 string Soloist without the CS wait - will buy it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I already put the "unless someone's rich" disclaimer there. Unless money is of no consequence to someone, no one would buy those. It doesn't make sense. Thats why DCGL has had those for years and years. If they lower the price SIGNIFICANTLY, perhaps someone would buy it, but when you can get something almost identical for $699, it doesn't quite make a lot of sense.... especially when like you said, for half that money you could order your own custom with much better specs. Plus the guy overseeing the production of the higher end Japanese models is no slouch, theyre extremely well made, with superb attention to detail.